The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Nashville Predators | Nov 5, 2021 7 PM PDT | Special Teams Edition

Rate this topic

Templeton Peck

7 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

Kirk's was a huge moment that saved the Canucks season.  No save will ever top it most likely.  However, I feel like you're forgetting a couple incredible saves that rival Demko's scorpion.

Exhibit A: Markstrom's best save of his career, and I think this might be my favourite save of all time regardless of how big the moment was.

Exhibit B: Probably Luongo's best save as a Canuck, and he had many of them.  Game 6 of Round 1 vs LA.

That series was full of incredible saves by Luongo including this goal line beauty in game 1 OT:

We've been blessed as a franchise with absolutely unforgettable saves by so many different goalies throughout the years.  There's probably very few franchises with 2 of these types of unbelievable saves...and these are 5 of them right off the top of my head.

I hear you for sure there are lots of good ones to pick from. 

But this one just has that feel to it for me. Marky and Lu never evoked that from me. Yes some show stoppers but nothing that trenched them into my memory.

I think of this moment for Demko, bare handed, 5 v 3 like a warrior making saves just moves my needle more.

During the Luongo era, for me it’s Burr and the dragon slayer moment and the Sedins “the shift” but nothing from Lu unfortunately lol. Or Marky for that matter. I mean both goalies no disrespect. 

Just really special moments in time.

1 minute ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Nashville’s not going to be coming in happy after their 4 game win streak was ended when Edmonton destroyed the Preds 5-2 last game. Hope our boys are ready to face a motivated and pissed off team.

I think we have a good chance. We played well against the Rangers, I thought at least. Even when we were down 0-2 I really thought we could make a push in the 3rd as we looked better than the rangers…other than our special teams. 

Guys are starting to gel, hopefully they keep the good vibes goin with another W

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iceman64 said:

my dream line x 4.. and same with D..  whole team that could do that and with a scoring touch, geeez! yep in my dreams! Reminds me of the old school Islanders, even down to the the Goalie.. Smith.. and that guy could actually fire the puck so opposing teams with goalies pulled really had to be aware of that or how he could pass it to a player off the bench or penalty box was truly wizardly but then hack your *everything* if you were in the crease and he'd fight anyone if mad enough.. 

Isle's were my 2nd fave team back then, trots boss and giant were fun to watch.. 

I have a soft spot for the Isles because of their awesome fans and the local boy, Barzal.  

1 hour ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Nashville’s not going to be coming in happy after their 4 game win streak was ended when Edmonton destroyed the Preds 5-2 last game. Hope our boys are ready to face a motivated and pissed off team.

Very interested to watch how the team will follow up a miraculous win against the Rags - GCG !

8 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

Kirk's was a huge moment that saved the Canucks season.  No save will ever top it most likely.  However, I feel like you're forgetting a couple incredible saves that rival Demko's scorpion.

Exhibit A: Markstrom's best save of his career, and I think this might be my favourite save of all time regardless of how big the moment was.

Exhibit B: Probably Luongo's best save as a Canuck, and he had many of them.  Game 6 of Round 1 vs LA.

That series was full of incredible saves by Luongo including this goal line beauty in game 1 OT:

We've been blessed as a franchise with absolutely unforgettable saves by so many different goalies throughout the years.  There's probably very few franchises with 2 of these types of unbelievable saves...and these are 5 of them right off the top of my head.

Scorpion save was pretty cool .. extra cool given he did it with one bare hand made into a fist on the ice ... My respect for Demko is higher then ever at the moment.    With 64 goalies in the league now (at least), and so many games ... the saves of the week are pretty amazing and it really could be anyone - including the Skudra (career back-up) types.   Usually not ... Hasek lol.   I remember Kelly Rhudey who's the biggest flopper ever, making crazy saves while flipping around on the ice ... his bandana was cool at least lol.   With all due respect to our awesome goalies saves, of which so far, we've really only had one HHOF level actual goalie ... there are amazing saves been made every week/month/year and every team but Seattle, has had a couple goalies do that for them ... maybe Vegas too but MAF for sure has a couple, don't know about Lehner.   Great saves though!   I couldn't do that off the top of my head...but even Cloutier had some dandies  ..   Some of my favourites are goalies using the shaft to make a save when all else fails seen that often enough...Demko's save was about as awesome as they come.   Hasek level.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

Heard they took Hughes off pp1. 

Smrt

He's a great passer and excellent at gaining the zone ... problem is it's too predictable and teams have tape on it.   Guys stand too still which has been mentioned...  It's like they'd rather not lose possession by risking a shot lol.   And the shots they make are telegraphed or already anticipated.     Need a new look... OEL/Garland is a new look.   It just needs to be unpredictable...the skill level is there for sure. 

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, IBatch said:

He's a great passer and excellent at gaining the zone ... problem is it's too predictable and teams have tape on it.   Guys stand too still which has been mentioned...  It's like they'd rather not lose possession by risking a shot lol.   And the shots they make are telegraphed or already anticipated.     Need a new look... OEL/Garland is a new look.   It just needs to be unpredictable...the skill level is there for sure. 

You can say those things about everyone on that top unit. Singling out our leading pp producer makes no sense. 

47 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

You can say those things about everyone on that top unit. Singling out our leading pp producer makes no sense. 

I think it's more about QH:s shot not really generating anything vs OEL. Someone mentioned the idea about having both OEL and QH on PP1 with OEL the traditional quarterback and QH in a rover role. I like that. Also would like Boeser and Horvat on PP2 to balance the formations.

In a few years I hope we have two strong PP formations with EP and QH maybe staying on for an extra shift in tight games.

• Cheers 1