The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Senators name Brady Tkachuk as captain

Rate this topic

Not saying this is a good or bad choice for their team.

But I do wonder about the common practice of naming the highest paid player and/or the player perceived to be the 'best' player on the ice as the captain as has been the trend in the NHL for many years now.  Teams seem to think that if they don't name their most 'high profile' player the captain it's some sort of slight against them and may harm future contract negotiations.

I guess I'm just old school and believe, right or wrong, that individuals should have some life experience before being anointed 'leaders' in their respective fields.  I look at what happened in Chicago where their leadership completely FAILED a teammate - does a 22 year old with not much life experience let alone only about 200 games of pro-hockey under his belt have the kind of capacity to be the face of an entire franchise on and off the ice? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Not saying this is a good or bad choice for their team.

But I do wonder about the common practice of naming the highest paid player and/or the player perceived to be the 'best' player on the ice as the captain as has been the trend in the NHL for many years now.  Teams seem to think that if they don't name their most 'high profile' player the captain it's some sort of slight against them and may harm future contract negotiations.

I guess I'm just old school and believe, right or wrong, that individuals should have some life experience before being anointed 'leaders' in their respective fields.  I look at what happened in Chicago where their leadership completely FAILED a teammate - does a 22 year old with not much life experience let alone only about 200 games of pro-hockey under his belt have the kind of capacity to be the face of an entire franchise on and off the ice? 

I agree completely.  Thankfully Horvat seems to be an excellent leader, as demonstrated in the bubble.  If he's willing to stand up for an opponent in the playoffs, you know he'll do the right thing for a teammate.

There should be some leadership training made available for all captains and alternates by the league.

Edited by King Heffy

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Are we sure they are really brothers?  Their father was on the road quite a bit.  Any women that we know of that have popped up claiming Brady is their son and looking for money?

Pretty sure that we'd be looking at different fathers, not different mothers.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

exactly what i wanted to write