The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Formula One 2021

MaxVerstappen33

17 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Max needs a good start overtaking looks to be quite difficult on this narrower circuit with the walls being so close.

Hoping for a safety car or two to liven up this long race and bunch up the pack.

Damage limitation going into final race for him and Red Bull as a whole.

Well that race delivered a lot more than expected fans loved the chaos and Max's aggressive driving! 

Hamilton is no longer the true people's champion.

Max's driving today would have made the pure racers like Senna, Schumacher smile.

Absolute mad lad. He is driving the Brit wankers to their absolute limits.

They are calling him a dirty racer and crossing the line, no class.

Hamilton basically said he is the most dangerous driver that he has gone up against.

Thanks for the entertainment "Mad Max".

He wouldn't have to push this hard if they were racing in equal cars though I think the racing fans understand that.

Meanwhile the "purist" Shamilton boring and soft racing fans cry bloody murder and get Senna vs Prost PTSD going into the final race...

Verstappen snatches pole with a tow from this teammate Perez.

Unfortunately this a track with long straights and you are able to pass Hamilton starting behind but with huge pace advantage especially in the straights and with the medium tyre compared to Verstappen who is starting on the soft and can't go as long on the first stint.

Max will have to make his car as wide as possible to try to keep Hamilton behind for as many laps as possible.

It will  be almost impossible to overtake the Mercedes without a pit stop malfunction or unforseen error.

It's going to be win or crash out for Max at some point in this race imo...

22 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

I didn't watch qualifying or the race. I just didn't think it was possible. How. How the hell did Max win ? I keep checking Twitter to make sure this isn't a dream. I still can't believe it.

But some are saying that it might be overturned ? I dunno about that 

The FIA's regulations pretty clearly state that either no lapped cars are to be allowed to overtake the safety car or they all are and the safety car is to be called in a lap after that. The race director allowed just the lapped cars between Hamilton and Verstappen to overtake the safety car before it was called in that same lap. So in that sense, the race stewards breached their own regulations to make sure they got one lap of racing between Hamilton and Verstappen.

There really is no precedent to what might happen after, even if Mercedes protests and succeeds. It's a real shame that the championship had to be decided that way, because now were going to get a silly controversy that wasn't the fault of either driver. Verstappen fully deserved to win the title this year, I just wish it didn't have to happen because of a weird decision from the stewards.

Edited by Brad Marchand
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

The FIA's regulations pretty clearly state that either no lapped cars are to be allowed to overtake the safety car or they all are and the safety car is to be called in a lap after that. The race director allowed just the lapped cars between Hamilton and Verstappen to overtake the safety car before it was called in that same lap. So in that sense, the race stewards breached their own regulations to make sure they got one lap of racing between Hamilton and Verstappen.

There really is no precedent to what might happen after, even if Mercedes protests and succeeds. It's a real shame that the championship had to be decided that way, because now were going to get a silly controversy that wasn't the fault of either driver. Verstappen fully deserved to win the title this year, I just wish it didn't have to happen because of a weird decision from the stewards.

Massi has the final say regardless. 

It would be even worse to overturn it now. But i wouldn't be surprised if they do 

3 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Massi has the final say regardless. 

It would be even worse to overturn it now. But i wouldn't be surprised if they do .

Yeah, it would be really unpleasant to overturn the result now. Impossible to say what will happen next since we've never really seen this happen before.

Honestly, they could have avoided this stupid mess by red-flagging the race so they'd each have fresh tires with a standing start. That would have been just as fair from a racing standpoint. 

37 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

Yeah, it would be really unpleasant to overturn the result now. Impossible to say what will happen next since we've never really seen this happen before.

Honestly, they could have avoided this stupid mess by red-flagging the race so they'd each have fresh tires with a standing start. That would have been just as fair from a racing standpoint. 

There is calls like this back and forth all year long. This doesn't take anything away from Max's title at all imo. He made an epic pass and pushed it to the limit. The car was loose on the last corner.  

As Masi said. It's a motor race.  It was decided on the track. 

Mercedes fans were all arrogant going into the race. Getting Karen Horner trending on Twitter all day. Who's Karen now ? Karen Wolff.

Edited by MaxVerstappen33
  • Haha 1

Championships are not won and lost in single events.  This is no different to thinking that Bottas cost Max the championship in Hungary, or that Pirelli cost Max the championship in Baku. No single event decides it. Championships are decided on the averages of luck, talent, car performance, and steward meddling. Both drivers have come of better or worse in a relatively balanced way because of it.  The only reason this race is being singled out is because it was the last race of the season. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

There is calls like this back and forth all year long. This doesn't take anything away from Max's title at all imo. He made an epic pass and pushed it to the limit. The car was loose on the last corner.  

As Masi said. It's a motor race.  It was decided on the track. 

Mercedes fans were all arrogant going into the race. Getting Karen Horner trending on Twitter all day. Who's Karen now ? Karen Wolff.

Honestly, no need to be a sore winner about this. If Verstappen was on the other end of a decision like this, you would be calling the FIA rigged in Mercedes' favour.

All I wanted was the last race to not be majorly influenced by stewarding decisions. Regardless of who is ruled the eventual winner, it's going to leave a sour taste in someone's mouth and it's a shame because neither Hamilton nor Verstappen did anything wrong here.

There were options to have a clean race between Hamilton and Verstappen at the end without generating this kind of stupid controversy. Nothing I'm saying has anything to do with who 'deserves' it more. What I'm saying is that this unncessarily hand-wavey stewarding is creating all sorts of confusion about who should have won this race, which is totally unfair to both drivers.

Edited by Brad Marchand
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

Honestly, no need to be a sore winner about this. If Verstappen was on the other end of a decision like this, you would be calling the FIA rigged in Mercedes' favour.

All I wanted was the last race to not be majorly influenced by stewarding decisions. Regardless of who is ruled the eventual winner, it's going to leave a sour taste in someone's mouth and it's a shame because neither Hamilton nor Verstappen did anything wrong here.

There were options to have a clean race between Hamilton and Verstappen at the end without generating this kind of stupid controversy. Nothing I'm saying has anything to do with who 'deserves' it more. What I'm saying is that this unncessarily hand-wavey stewarding is creating all sorts of confusion about who should have won this race, which is totally unfair to both drivers.

yeah I have been in battle with Mercedes partisans on another forum and Twitter for weeks but its probably not appropriate to bring that here.

At the end of the day , we had a one lap showdown for the championship.  Hamilton had the faster car and the pole position. But Max had better tires. And the chips fell from there.

Taken as a whole, I think the right driver won drivers title.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

yeah I have been in battle with Mercedes partisans on another forum and Twitter for weeks but its probably not appropriate to bring that here.

At the end of the day , we had a one lap showdown for the championship.  Hamilton had the faster car and the pole position. But Max had better tires. And the chips fell from there.

Taken as a whole, I think the right driver won drivers title.

Won't disagree there. Verstappen was the more consistent driver throughout the season, I think it was ultimately fair that he was rewarded for it.

We may never get a one lap showdown for the championship again in our lives so I should appreciate that a bit more regardless of how it came about. Definitely the most heart-stopping lap of racing I've ever watched.

• Cheers 2

Another take: 

Imagine if the race had finished under the safety car despite there having been a clear track at Turn 14 for two full laps, all because the final part of a paragraph in one the safety car regulations articles says "once the last lapped car has passed the leader the safety car will return to the pits at the end of the following lap".

Michael Masi did the right thing to restart the race with the lapped cars out of the way.

As my first season taking in all the races and actually following F1, I have to say I loved the ending.  1 lap race to decide the championship was super exciting from a new fan point of view.  My only question is why did they not red flag the race?  Seemed like Latifi's car covered most of the track and they knew it had the potential to end the race under the safety car.  IMO it would've been the fair choice.

In saying that, Max has driven like a champion all season and has had his fair share of bad luck.  He deserves to win, just sucks that his first championship is surrounded in controversy. 

Checo has been my favorite driver all season, and this race showed how great of a driver he is.  That battle he had with Lewis was thrilling!  You think Lewis would have an easier time passing him but Checo gave it right back.  Excited for another Max/Checo team next season.

Young drivers looked like they are taking a next step to have a more competitive field.  Lando, LeClerc, Sainz all had strong seasons, Russel going to Merc will be a huge boost to their team and for Russel.  Bit of a disappointing season for Aston Martin, they looked like they would take a step forward this season after last season but feels like they took more of a step back.  Hopefully they can rebound next season.  McLaren and Ferrari look like the best of the rest. Ricciardo's GP win was one of my favorite races.  Looking for them to take another step next season and for Ferrari in general to be more competitive.  Ferrari seemed to have bad luck this year, especially LeClerc.

Looking forward to Netflix's Drive to Survive this season, it's going to be juicy.  Plus a hungry Lewis Hamilton is going to setup an amazing battle with Max next season with all new F1 cars to drive.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

As my first season taking in all the races and actually following F1, I have to say I loved the ending.  1 lap race to decide the championship was super exciting from a new fan point of view.  My only question is why did they not red flag the race?  Seemed like Latifi's car covered most of the track and they knew it had the potential to end the race under the safety car.  IMO it would've been the fair choice.

In saying that, Max has driven like a champion all season and has had his fair share of bad luck.  He deserves to win, just sucks that his first championship is surrounded in controversy. 

Checo has been my favorite driver all season, and this race showed how great of a driver he is.  That battle he had with Lewis was thrilling!  You think Lewis would have an easier time passing him but Checo gave it right back.  Excited for another Max/Checo team next season.

Young drivers looked like they are taking a next step to have a more competitive field.  Lando, LeClerc, Sainz all had strong seasons, Russel going to Merc will be a huge boost to their team and for Russel.  Bit of a disappointing season for Aston Martin, they looked like they would take a step forward this season after last season but feels like they took more of a step back.  Hopefully they can rebound next season.  McLaren and Ferrari look like the best of the rest. Ricciardo's GP win was one of my favorite races.  Looking for them to take another step next season and for Ferrari in general to be more competitive.  Ferrari seemed to have bad luck this year, especially LeClerc.

Looking forward to Netflix's Drive to Survive this season, it's going to be juicy.  Plus a hungry Lewis Hamilton is going to setup an amazing battle with Max next season with all new F1 cars to drive.

We all know getting opportunity in F1 is based on talent,money, luck and timing.

Many great drivers have not won an F1 race or been able to challenge for podiums consistently with the right car and team and financial support.

Sergio Perez is a great example of a guy who never got a chance with a top team until Red Bull. He has always been underrated in his race craft and tyre management. The biggest knock on him is his 1 lap qualy pace has not been consistent.

Fernando Alonso is another legend if put in a better car would fight Hamilton still like a Lion and would give him a ton of trouble.

In terms of the the top 2 most underrated drivers in F1 today imo they are Pierre Gasly and Carlos Sainz by far.

They show up every race weekend and have been strong in qualifying and solid in race trim.

A theme is emerging in that all the big name Formula 1 teams have a young star of the future they have hitched their wagon to.

1)Merc Russel 

2) RedBull Max 

3) Ferrari Charles 

4) McLaren Lando 

5) Alpine Esteban Ocon/Oscar Piastri coming up

6) Aston Martin Stroll 

7) Williams Alexander Albon ,Latiffi is only there to bring money

8) Alfa Romeo Zhou is there to bring money and keep the seat warm for the younger and better Theo Pourchaire 

9) Alpha Tauri Gasly  Tsunoda will be under tremendous pressure to keep his seat.

10) Haas is a dumpster fire have to feel for young Schumacher stuck with Mazepin not able to display his potential talents at all.

If those of you who don't follow Formula 2 which is the feeder series for F1. I encourage you to check it out many great young talents coming up just waiting for their opportunity.

Biggest talent not in F1 is the teenager Theo Pourchaire by far though!!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

We all know getting opportunity in F1 is based on talent,money, luck and timing.

Many great drivers have not won an F1 race or been able to challenge for podiums consistently with the right car and team and financial support.

Sergio Perez is a great example of a guy who never got a chance with a top team until Red Bull. He has always been underrated in his race craft and tyre management. The biggest knock on him is his 1 lap qualy pace has not been consistent.

Fernando Alonso is another legend if put in a better car would fight Hamilton still like a Lion and would give him a ton of trouble.

In terms of the the top 2 most underrated drivers in F1 today imo they are Pierre Gasly and Carlos Sainz by far.

They show up every race weekend and have been strong in qualifying and solid in race trim.

A theme is emerging in that all the big name Formula 1 teams have a young star of the future they have hitched their wagon to.

1)Merc Russel 

2) RedBull Max 

3) Ferrari Charles 

4) McLaren Lando 

5) Alpine Esteban Ocon/Oscar Piastri coming up

6) Aston Martin Stroll 

7) Williams Alexander Albon ,Latiffi is only there to bring money

8) Alfa Romeo Zhou is there to bring money and keep the seat warm for the younger and better Theo Pourchaire 

9) Alpha Tauri Gasly  Tsunoda will be under tremendous pressure to keep his seat.

10) Haas is a dumpster fire have to feel for young Schumacher stuck with Mazepin not able to display his potential talents at all.

If those of you who don't follow Formula 2 which is the feeder series for F1. I encourage you to check it out many great young talents coming up just waiting for their opportunity.

Biggest talent not in F1 is the teenager Theo Pourchaire by far though!!

Gastly and Sainz are definitely underrated.  If only Ferrari could get their crap together they could be one of the top teams IMO.  Gastly may not be in the best RB car but man can he ever collect points in it.

I agree with Alonso, this guy could be racing for a championship in the right car.  He's overachieved at Alpine this season.  With the wreck of a car they had last season it's incredible what he's done.  Overall, I thought it's been an exciting season.  Definitely one to remember and couldn't be happier that it was my first season following/watching.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Gastly and Sainz are definitely underrated.  If only Ferrari could get their crap together they could be one of the top teams IMO.  Gastly may not be in the best RB car but man can he ever collect points in it.

I agree with Alonso, this guy could be racing for a championship in the right car.  He's overachieved at Alpine this season.  With the wreck of a car they had last season it's incredible what he's done.  Overall, I thought it's been an exciting season.  Definitely one to remember and couldn't be happier that it was my first season following/watching.

With Aston Martin though not a fan of Lance Stroll and that team since it is owned by his rich  daddy and he is guaranteed a seat as long as his dad owns the team. They tried to be a Mercedes junior team and they even copied their car design and continue to use the Merc power unit obviously.

They were called the Pink Mercedes when Perez was there!

Toto Wolff is always good friends with daddy Stroll.

I feel for Sainz and Gasly. Especially Sainz he has been unlucky to play second fiddle to a young stud everywhere he has gone pretty much.

He started alongside Max all those years back in Torro Rosso. Then he had those years with Lando Norris at McLaren.

Now he finds himself partnering Leclerc at Ferrari.

Based on his career arc he might be at Mercedes next to partner Russel!

I am a huge Ferrari fan and Leclerc and Sainz are the definitively the most talented and equally matched driver pairing today imo.

I agree it's too bad the team screw their drivers with a weak car and even weaker pit stops and race strategies.

Either Sainz or Leclerc would offer a stiff challenge to Max or Hamilton if they ever were their teammates.

Edited by Chip Kelly
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1