The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we witnessing the greatest assembly of incompatible Canucks players in team history?

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Ahhh.   The biggest what if all-time.   IF Messier came, changed his number out of respect for Maki,  fell in behind Linden and used his "leadership" to add value to the team as a second line center...we could of iced two incredible lines.    And won some cups...all the players were in their primes..and maybe we could of got a couple 40/40 seasons out of Messier, kind of had that Howe vibe at the time.   Like Ovi does now same age.   Check out the previous two Messier seasons, and those were dead puck era ones too. 

One thing that may have helped that dreaded 97/98 season would have been getting Alex Mogilny signed on time.  The damage had already been done by the time Mogilny joined the team.

Wondering if there’s a bit of a parallel between that team and the current Canucks?  We finally got Hamonic, but will it be too little too late by the time Petey and Brock get their games back?

• Cheers 1

This isn't on the talent or chemistry of the roster. It's on a coaching staff that is playing a grinding 'not to lose' style incompatible with the personnel, despite being given the most talented team since the start of the GMs 8 year tenure.

Edited by DSVII

We are witnessing an oddly incapable PP since the lineups are largely the same (minus the occasional swapping of Chiasson for Boeser), plus one of those regulars (Petey is having an off start to the season).  If I'm coach I'd rather give him some PP2 time and hopefully let his timing catch up to him there.  In the meantime, I'd want to see the following (note: not leaving Petey to dry but rather letting him face lesser defenders while still playing with guys he has chemistry in Boeser and Hoglander).

PP1: (Podkolzin net front + puck retrieval, shot threats from the wings and the bumper; the wings can swap for more unpredictability)
              Podkolzin     
Garland - Horvat - Miller
               Hughes

PP2: (similar to PP1, Pearson net + retrieval, two legit one-timers for OEL to set up; Hoglander can shoot or dangle)
               Pearson 
Boeser - Hoglander - Petey  
                 OEL

Edited by Phil_314

12 minutes ago, DSVII said:

This isn't on the talent or chemistry of the roster. It's on a coaching staff that is playing a grinding 'not to lose' style incompatible with the personnel, despite being given the most talented team since the start of the GMs 8 year tenure.

We don’t have penalty killers. Who is that on? We don’t have scoring in the bottom six or chemistry? He built the roster. We are a really small team. Perimeter players. Who built the roster?

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, DSVII said:

TBH I think this is the OP's real opinion and they only made this thread because they can't make endless one's about Green any more.

I guess this is marginally more inventive but, like our PP, just as boring and predictable.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

TBH I think this is the OP's real opinion and they only made this thread because they can't make endless one's about Green any more.

I guess this is marginally more inventive but, like our PP, just as boring and predictable.

Someone's had their coffee this morning !    You're hired!

Edited by RU SERIOUS

On paper I completely disagree, this may be one of the most balanced/deepest lineups we've ever had. On ice it's shambles but I think that translation is more due to coaches and systems than assembly.

On each line and defensive pairing we've got (on paper) the perfect combination of grit, defensive awareness, shooting ability and playmaking ability. We really lack size and toughness the way we have in the past though.

Miller (grit) - Pettersson (playmaker) - Boeser (shooter)

Pearson (grit) - Horvat (shooter) - Garland (playmaker)

Hoglander (playmaker) - Dickinson (grit) - Motte (grit/shooter?)

Podz (shooter) - Sutter (grit) - Chiasson (grit)

OEL (od) - Poolman (dd)

Hughes (od) - Hamonic (dd)

Rathbone (od) - Myers (dd)

Schenn (dd)

Of course that's a fully healthy lineup on paper pending whatever Green wants to do with the players. Sure, we've had a couple of bottom-6 forwards injured, but that's no excuse for why this on-paper, well balanced lineup is playing as dreadfully as it is.

I think the pieces are in place, Green just isn't executing.

• Upvote 1

Add a point each game and we're back in it. 

Fix the PP and the PK and that sparks it.

The PP with the Lotto line has performed in the past. So is the problem 'chemistry?'

If Motte and Suttter come back strong does that fix any problem on the PK? Is any problem there 'chemistry,' in any case?

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

We are witnessing an oddly incapable PP since the lineups are largely the same (minus the occasional swapping of Chiasson for Boeser), plus one of those regulars (Petey is having an off start to the season).  If I'm coach I'd rather give him some PP2 time and hopefully let his timing catch up to him there.  In the meantime, I'd want to see the following (note: not leaving Petey to dry but rather letting him face lesser defenders while still playing with guys he has chemistry in Boeser and Hoglander).

PP1: (Podkolzin net front + puck retrieval, shot threats from the wings and the bumper; the wings can swap for more unpredictability)
              Podkolzin     
Garland - Horvat - Miller
               Hughes

PP2: (similar to PP1, Pearson net + retrieval, two legit one-timers for OEL to set up; Hoglander can shoot or dangle)
               Pearson 
Boeser - Hoglander - Petey  
                 OEL

I'd play Petey 25 minutes a night. Get him going. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

With yet another loss in a never ending cycle of failure & disjointed play on the ice - following a nearly complete new cast of players brought in over the past couple of years (including 11 new players this year alone - which was expected to turn the team around),   is it possible that we are witnessing the greatest assembly of incompatable players ever put together in team history?  

This is a retard and when i said that as a kid i got slapped, a totally retarded thread.   Can a mod please shut this guys &^@#ing mouth please.   Greatest assembly ?!!!!.  Like wow.   All RU Serious does, is crap on everything that happens - good bad or indifferent.   Seems happier whenever we lose.  That's what these are:  Also i'm putting myself in a time out. Season 4 Troll GIF by Living Single

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DSVII said:

ugh. coaching not to lose is a bad strategy. It never works

I hope Green realizes this and changes his approach, because if he doesn't and the team and the individual players continue to underperform, he's not going to remain as head coach of this team. Would Brad Shaw be any better? He's supposed to offer Green some new insight or systems or ideas. What's he doing?