The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we witnessing the greatest assembly of incompatible Canucks players in team history?

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

On 11/7/2021 at 2:27 PM, N4ZZY said:

Wouldn't be surprised if the wrist is still a problem for Petey. Does his shot look off? 

It's hard for me to believe that a player so good and deserving of a contract extension and a raise, suddenly just falls off the cliff. He's better than the 1 goal in 11 games he's demonstrated, especially with what we've seen in the past of him. I hope he breaks out tonight, but might be asking too much of Petey. 

The shot was looking half decent last night 

The only thing I feel like I'm witnessing at the moment is some of the worst threads started by a single OP that I've seen in my 10+ years here.

I get being frustrated by where we are at at the moment but the titles of these threads are what I would expect from reading a newspaper by a political propaganda machine.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Sure would rather have our present roster/all assets, than Marc Bergevin's assorted collection. I think these two GM's have had a similar length of term served, in their respective Cdn, fan-obsessed markets.

I like that the majority of our key guys are young, & (mostly) locked in for a number of years. They are still sorting which lines & combos are optimal, but it appears a team that should be pretty fun to watch.

We should wait 'til 30, 40 games in, before a landslide of doom & gloom threads.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
  • Vintage 1

51 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Sure would rather have our present roster/all assets, than Marc Bergevin's assorted collection. I think these two GM's have had a similar length of term served, in their respective Cdn, fan-obsessed markets.

I like that the majority of our key guys are young, & (mostly) locked in for a number of years. They are still sorting which lines & combos are optimal, but it appears a team that should be pretty fun to watch.

We should wait 'til 30, 40 games in, before a landslide of doom & gloom threads.

I agree that these brand of doom posts are nutty. But for hardcore fans , this almost like the playoffs now. We have to start winning some games or were're done. The casual fan just pays attention when we get there 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

I agree that these brand of doom posts are nutty. But for hardcore fans , this almost like the playoffs now. We have to start winning some games or were're done. The casual fan just pays attention when we get there 

I think at this point of the season I'll pay more attention to the actual games than I will these forums primarily because of the crazies who think 10 games in is the end of the world. lol

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I hate the Habs and think they are highly overrated but Marc Bergevin has had more success.

4 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

I hate the Habs and think they are highly overrated but Marc Bergevin has had more success.

Yep. They went to the Cup Finals not too long ago. Can't say that with any of Jim's teams.....yet. 

6 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Well, save for last night, if the team continues to play the way they have, then our playoff hopes are all but dashed by then.

I'm concerned, but not worried. We know what these guys can do. (And have done) No need for these negative posts which the media hosts will turn into "We hear discontent from the fans".

These guys know what is expected of them. With new faces and confidence to build, sometimes it isn't full throttle out of the gates.

On 11/6/2021 at 6:10 AM, Kevin Biestra said:

I'm glad for you.  It was unbearable.  There have never been worse times to follow the team and I am pretty confident there never will be.

We had to watch as every decorated old soldier - Linden, Babych, McLean, Odjick, etc. - was basically taken behind the woodshed and shot.

It was nothing at all like the "glass half full" mutual departures like Edler or Burrows.

Ownership was pretty incompetent too. We had Stephen Bellringer CEO of Orca Bay who had no hockey experience except running B,C Gas fired Pat Quinn as President and Gm of the team and then ask him if he wanted to coach the team after he was canned. Basically the team had no hockey management after Quinn

• Vintage 1

On 11/6/2021 at 9:10 AM, Kevin Biestra said:

I'm glad for you.  It was unbearable.  There have never been worse times to follow the team and I am pretty confident there never will be.

We had to watch as every decorated old soldier - Linden, Babych, McLean, Odjick, etc. - was basically taken behind the woodshed and shot.

It was nothing at all like the "glass half full" mutual departures like Edler or Burrows.

It would be like this team going to the final last year, while the kids were still kids, almost beating the best team in the league for a couple of seasons (which the Rangers were), and then when they were all in their actual primes, adding say Crosby at 36, him having an hissy fit and throwing a hand grenade into the dressing room, Horvat is traded and all those loyal to him are given the boot -  Demko is gone, EP is gone, BB is gone, QHs is gone .... and Crosby is left standing with a Lays smile etc.   

Oh and add to the drama a WSH based group buys out Aquaman, calls themselves say Seaweed Entertainment, and we are all supposed to get in line as fans and love a new uniform.    And discard the one that the teams had the most successful playoff runs in our history.   

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It would be like this team going to the final last year, while the kids were still kids, almost beating the best team in the league for a couple of seasons (which the Rangers were), and then when they were all in their actual primes, adding say Crosby at 36, him having an hissy fit and throwing a hand grenade into the dressing room, Horvat is traded and all those loyal to him are given the boot -  Demko is gone, EP is gone, BB is gone, QHs is gone .... and Crosby is left standing with a Lays smile etc.   

Oh and add to the drama a WSH based group buys out Aquaman, calls themselves say Seaweed Entertainment, and we are all supposed to get in line as fans and love a new uniform.    And discard the one that the teams had the most successful playoff runs in our history.   

The Vancouver Seaweed actually isn't a bad name for the 1997-2000 versions of the team.

On 11/6/2021 at 6:10 AM, Kevin Biestra said:

Which is why some of us hate the orca.

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

For the "hardcore fans" is no excuse to run around making these sort of threads.  It's actually very embarrassing.   Doesn't show any sort of loyalty or commitment to the process or the team.   Just makes us look like a bunch of babies really.   Complaining like this is not the way to do it.    Club has no control over a 32 team league or the cap really.   JB primary responsibility ... is it a cup or to fill seats?  Both actually.   Our fans have a bad rap already.   As a responsible fan, i'm not that into this sort of discourse, which is a big reason why i defend it.   Using  examples like LA.   A terrible regular season team under Sutter compared to their post season results.   Why can't we just wait and see?   The it's been a long 8 years is a bunch of hogwash.   In the sense that a top team can turn things around that fast.   Name one.   One top team that's done that since the cap?  There aren't any to name.    Trust the process.  Doesn't mean we have to have pom poms out all along.   It's still good hockey.    I'm sure that the owners, management, coaching staff and the players would appreciate our support.  Doesn't make you a homer doing that.  It makes you a responsible fan.   Banners flying ... WTF.   

JB and TG have done enough to earned the right to see this through.   No i'm not expecting this core to win a cup either.   

On 11/6/2021 at 2:59 AM, RU SERIOUS said:

With yet another loss in a never ending cycle of failure & disjointed play on the ice - following a nearly complete new cast of players brought in over the past couple of years (including 11 new players this year alone - which was expected to turn the team around),   is it possible that we are witnessing the greatest assembly of incompatable players ever put together in team history?  

Hey RU

this is a good topic, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at things) this is not the MOST incompatible team ever assembled.

The masses have spoken and that honor goes to the Messier era team.

That has caused your topic to be derailed by those who wish to reminisce about the bad old days rather than talk about this team.

there is one major difference between team Messier and team Benning

Team Messier was bad because of egos and personal dislikes

Team Benning is bad because Jim has assembled a team that is missing some needed parts.

Possibly, in an effort to bring this discussion back on track, you could change the title to: "is this the second most incompatible team?"

or possibly "What are the missing parts of team Benning that are missing?"

I'll give you my thoughts in another post

Because I think this is a relevant topic without the superlative(!!!!) 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, lmm said:

Possibly, in an effort to bring this discussion back on track, you could change the title to: "is this the second most incompatible team?"

or possibly "What are the missing parts of team Benning that are missing?"

The 1989-90 team was inexplicably horrible.  Right after taking the Stanley Cup champions to game 7 overtime, they finished 2nd last in the NHL.  While basically having the same team as the previous year plus Larionov and Krutov.

Larionov and definitely moreso Krutov...there was some serious lack of chemistry and compatibility.

I would have to call that the silver medal winner.

4 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

The 1989-90 team was inexplicably horrible.  Right after taking the Stanley Cup champions to game 7 overtime, they finished 2nd last in the NHL.  While basically having the same team as the previous year plus Larionov and Krutov.

Larionov and definitely moreso Krutov...there was some serious lack of chemistry and compatibility.

I would have to call that the silver medal winner.

you may be right, but I really don't have a lot of interest in debating the superlatives

that is why I suggested the second re-title

RU

incompatibilities with Team Benning 2021

not is any particular order

(*) Lack of PK forwards

(&) Lack of power forwards

(^) Lack of big, defensively responsible defensemen

(%) Lack of center depth

($) Lack of grit

As I said in the post above, the Messier Team didn't like each other.

It seems this team, (or more correctly last years version) didn't like Jake Virtanen or Nate Schmidt and turned on Adam Gaudette really fast once he (supposedly) brought in the COVID.

I have no intel on whether they like each other or not, so I am looking soley at on ice parts of the puzzle.\

(*)  Gone are Beagle, Roussell, Sutter, Motte, Ericksson, who didn't bring much offense, but were pretty good PKers and Beagle and Sutter could win draws

Dickinson, Dowling, DiGuisseppi, Bailey, Lammikko and Miller just don't have the chops for PK duty.

(&) I sure like what it looks like Podkolzin will bring in the future, but having a rookie as your toughest forward is just sad.

(^) our D is built for the regular season and in no way resembles any of the final 4 from last years playoffs 

this is also why our PK is so bad

(%) Beagle and Sutter weren't good enough, Dickinson and Lammikko are not better

($) some teams roll over the other team when things are not firing offensively, this team does not have the horses.

too much Petey, Boeser, Garland, Hoglander, Hughes, Rathbone, Petan, Dowling, Bailey Motte (because he is always injured)

not enough Podkolzin, MacEwen, Schenn, Gadjovich, Hedman, Weber, Edmundson

($$) now I know some of the faithful will reply "OH ya, we should play more Schenn and less Petey, that will help"

but that is not the point, or maybe it is, Schenn is not good enough or fast enough, MacEwen wasn't smart enough and Podkolzin isn't old enough, that is why I had to add players from other teams, because we don't have enough strong players to COMPLIMENT our small skill players

And yes, sometimes this team needs to be able to ice a lineup of MacEwen, Gadjovich and (a 27 year old, not 33 YO ) Beagle rather than Petey Garland and Hoglander to change the complexion of the game.