The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Dallas Stars | Nov 7, 2021 7 PM PDT | *Warning! May Contain Power Plays*

Rate this topic

Templeton Peck

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

If our power play and penalty kill looks worse than last year, then we chose the wrong personnel.

No king was learning from brown. Now he is taking over for brown with the same strategy.  If you are a student learning from a teacher you do exactly what the teacher was preaching.  I see  no upgrade. I see only savings in owners pocket. 

2 hours ago, aznmonk said:

When he goes broke he will realize what was the problem. In the mean time us corporate fans are filling up the seats. So theres nothing wrong with the team. Why fix when it ain't broke.  Rogers arena are filling up so if we  the fans don't waste our hard earn money at the games his pocket will run dry.  Then by only then he will fix his coaching staff.. until then what u see is what you get.  

That’s not how business works. Why fix if it ain’t broke is never how anyone runs a business. 

You don’t wait until something goes wrong, if you see things that could hinder business, for example, fans not attending games due to performance on ice, you bet your ass Aqua is going to make some adjustments before it reaches to that point.  

Aquas influence in drafting BC boy power forward Virtanen for example was 100% strictly a PR move. Earlier on it did work, lots of people wanted to see rookie Jake crash and bang anything that moved. There was hype. 

Linden was an Aqua move. Fan favourite former captain leading an organization marking its transition period into a rebuilding club. 

Mike Gillis and management were fired the day after that Ducks game in 2014 where fans chanted “Fire Gillis”. I remember that night like it was yesterday, the whole arena had absolutely enough of the bull$&!#. 

Aqua man posting on Twitter, PR move.

Knowing history, it’s only a matter of time before Aqua steps in and makes some changes. As much as he can be a bit of a meddler, I would take that 100% over an owner who neglects his team and waits until the very last minute to make changes. He truly cares about overall customer satisfaction. 

Im confident Aqua man has Benning and co on thin ice. If we continue to play poor, you know Aqua man is going to step in and fire everybody that needs to go. It’s been 8 years now, no more excuses.

Edited by Odd.
  • Vintage 3

I feel I am rapidly losing interest in this team, which is terribly sad because it is a really good and interesting team right now but with a truly terrible coach.

Could you imagine this team playing like this for Carolinas coach for example ? 

I don´t know what they are waiting for, just do it already.

In my eyes this is without a doubt a playoff team, with the right coach and attitude.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

13 hours ago, Rabid Rooster said:

Is the coach distancing himself from the team?

in his post game interview he talked about “they”. They didn’t execute on special teams,  they didn’t do this and they didn’t do that. I thought a team was: we played poorly, we didn’t play smart etc. There is no they in team.

I noticed that too.

Not sure I made much of it, but he definitely laid the blame at the feet of the players.

There might not be much time left if they can't turn this around.

13 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Nothing worse than watching our guys have a lane to the net or even an odd man rush only to turn back and wait for our powerplay to set up.

If you’ve got a play off the rush go for it! Don’t turn back just so you can pass it around the perimeter and lose the puck.

Haha, I wonder what would happen if Petey ever charged through opposing players a la McDavid - would he get benched for not trying harder to get our useless powerplay/perimeter set up?

4 hours ago, aznmonk said:

When he goes broke he will realize what was the problem. In the mean time us corporate fans are filling up the seats. So theres nothing wrong with the team. Why fix when it ain't broke.  Rogers arena are filling up so if we  the fans don't waste our hard earn money at the games his pocket will run dry.  Then by only then he will fix his coaching staff.. until then what u see is what you get.  

You seen property values around Rogers where I believe they own a good part of that land?  They ain’t going broke anytime soon.  That and the asset value of the franchise remains quite high I think.  It (hockey operations) just isn’t the same cash cow as it once.

5 hours ago, aznmonk said:

LOL aquaman ain’t goin broke

1 hour ago, Bo Dega said:

I feel I am rapidly losing interest in this team, which is terribly sad because it is a really good and interesting team right now but with a truly terrible coach.

Could you imagine this team playing like this for Carolinas coach for example ? 

I don´t know what they are waiting for, just do it already.

In my eyes this is without a doubt a playoff team, with the right coach and attitude.

Don't worry, we always have extra cars near the back for bandwaggoners.   The effort is there.   Yes the special teams are an issue at the moment and that's on the coaches and the players.    Green can't play for EP, EP needs to play for the team and himself....not like his ice time has been docked.    Green is also the guy who played him his rookie year ... could have taken the long road Horvat route which is common for rookies but didn't.   Short memories on this site it appears.   Expecting playoffs this year with this roster is a little presumptive given what the experts had to say...that said we are a little off track with that.   A coaching change might give us a shot in the arm.   And pretty sure that's where things are headed if things don't turn around soon.   But expecting playoffs ... what we should be expecting is a team that will challenge for a bubble spot.   Considering our best forward isn't on yet ... and that we've iced half an NHL defense for most of the start.   It's not nearly as bad as it could be.   We haven't been blown out yet.    A lot of one goal games.   The special teams yuck. 

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Imo, JB bought himself some time with the drafting of the young core and re vamping of the roster in the offseason.   Right now, the team needs a new coach and it has been proven that sometimes a new coach can make a ton of difference to get a club going in the right direction.   My guess, the magic number if nothing changes is between 20 to 30 games.

I'd say closer to 20.   If It goes to 30 JB might as well hand in his resignation.   He's going to have to prepare it anyways just in case, making a coaching change is his last move.   It's not easy to find complete top to bottom alignment in any organization .... a big reason i was hoping these guys could work on a legacy similar to Poile and Trotz (think it was 15 years or something like that).   Green of course himself was actually "green", as in a rookie coach.    Gained a lot of respect in the hockey community developing young players as he should have.   Veteran coaches don't like rookie's that much, even highly touted ones usually have to work their way up.   With the Sedins here, only Horvat really worked his way up a lineup (and he also needed that, aside from a face off ace he wasn't ready yet).    Brock was added to his line and by mid November the first PP unit.    Green is working on Podz this year, last year was Hoglander.    

What we don't know yet but are currently finding out to a degree, is how he can work with a more mature lineup.   It's still very young, but in their window now.    Last game he put the Lotto line out for the last part of the first period - and they scored.   That was a coaching decision that affected the game.   He can't put the skates on himself and go out there .... where the team is failing right now is their PP...PK that's on JB and TG together.   Why they wouldn't keep a player that can play the PK on the left side on the bottom pairing.    Of course Motte and Sutter are also missed.  

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Don't worry, we always have extra cars near the back for bandwaggoners.   The effort is there.   Yes the special teams are an issue at the moment and that's on the coaches and the players.    Green can't play for EP, EP needs to play for the team and himself....not like his ice time has been docked.    Green is also the guy who played him his rookie year ... could have taken the long road Horvat route which is common for rookies but didn't.   Short memories on this site it appears.   Expecting playoffs this year with this roster is a little presumptive given what the experts had to say...that said we are a little off track with that.   A coaching change might give us a shot in the arm.   And pretty sure that's where things are headed if things don't turn around soon.   But expecting playoffs ... what we should be expecting is a team that will challenge for a bubble spot.   Considering our best forward isn't on yet ... and that we've iced half an NHL defense for most of the start.   It's not nearly as bad as it could be.   We haven't been blown out yet.    A lot of one goal games.   The special teams yuck. 

Batch I watched the Jets-Islander game yesterday because I like both teams and particularly like Trotz's coaching. What jumped off the screen was how far along both these teams are in their development and that both will be serious CUP contenders. What Trotz has done to make Barzal such a complete hockey player is admirable. 

I look at these two teams and it becomes very clear that the Canucks are a few years away yet. Developing a team is a complex mix of personalities and skills and structure. I like everything about the Canucks other than structure. Championship teams don't have players like JT and BB late on the backcheck that cost games. This isn't a direct critic of those specific players but an observation of lack of structure.

The d-side game has improved! The issue is the forward group. Sorry but there appears to be a lack of leadership. Horvat, Miller, Pearson and Chiasson are the vets. IMHO they have a walk the walk. Drive the net and get dirty. Act like you want it. Miller has taken some flac but IMO there isn't much doubt he wants to win. Has to engage consistently. I was expecting more from Dickenson (might have a lingering injury issue) but he plays his old team tonight so he will be amped up.  

I have been a Green supporter. As a fan I have no idea how much he supports his players in the dressing room, at practice or in the video sessions. The NHL is a results league. I am sure that the Aquilini's did a review when they reupped JB and Green. Did they look at other options at that time? If they didn't they probably are now, whether they act or not. What Sutter is doing in Calgary cannot escape their notice. All this said I don't consider this roster a serious CUP contender, playoffs would be nice for both the players and fans. It won't be the end of the world if they don't make it if the time is spent developing the team into a solid program. 

Go Canucks! Slap Benn and Seguin around for a couple of hours. Every time they come to Van they have smirks on their faces.  

• Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

As a huge, self-proclaimed "homer", it's hard to keep selling this though.  It has to happen soon because "deserving to win" and "winning" are two different things.  You have to "find a way" to win.  I'm still hopeful they will, but it's getting harder to see a win followed by losses rather than generating some momentum.  

I feel like this team has the potential to be much better and still do hold out hope that they'll turn things around.  But the fear is that all these early season losses make it so much harder when you battle for a playoff spot later on and have to work your way up to get there.  The pressure to dig out of that hole becomes difficult.  Some of these "should have won" losses will come back to bite us in the overall points if we don't get some of these points.

I sure hope we get a great win tonight to settle some of this nervous energy.

Yeah, times are tough; it stinks; it is what it is; but this is all just the dashing ridiculously high expectations.

We will beat Dallas, maybe not like a rented mule, but we will hang in and dazzle the stars with our dogged determination.

A couple wins and you all can put away your knives.

Big smiles upcoming, for everybody, including Greener, Big Jim, and Frankie.

Like the man said, there's lots of room on the bandwagon, so get ready to jump back on!

We are a playoff team and we will make some noise in those playoffs.

Go Bo Go!

And, Go Gar Go!  (Man, is he a breath of fresh air!)

And Boes!  He's playing like our best player.

Petey's coming around.

Always calm before the storm - the storm of wins that is, that removes The Taint that hangs over CDC right now!!

Get out of your gloom and doom and back on the bus (*Rem* Kesey: you're either on the bus or off the bus).

The True Stars are coming out tonight:

Demmer

Horvat

Miller

Petey

Quinn

OEL

Podkolzin

Hoagy

Hammer (Hammer v.2 props to Hamhuis)

Myers

Plus the new beef on lines 3 and 4 and D pairings 3+ is gonna lay down the law.

Power play is starting to click and PP1 is starting to yield some time to PP2 (which should produce more goals and less short-handed goals against).

Man, I could go on all day, there is so much to look forward to; and all in only a few exciting hours.

Let's get bat-$&!# crazy and smoke these pretenders!

(Deb: please keep a list of these fire Green guys; I think they're the same ones who flew the Fire Benning banner.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Batch I watched the Jets-Islander game yesterday because I like both teams and particularly like Trotz's coaching. What jumped off the screen was how far along both these teams are in their development and that both will be serious CUP contenders. What Trotz has done to make Barzal such a complete hockey player is admirable. 

I look at these two teams and it becomes very clear that the Canucks are a few years away yet. Developing a team is a complex mix of personalities and skills and structure. I like everything about the Canucks other than structure. Championship teams don't have players like JT and BB late on the backcheck that cost games. This isn't a direct critic of those specific players but an observation of lack of structure.

The d-side game has improved! The issue is the forward group. Sorry but there appears to be a lack of leadership. Horvat, Miller, Pearson and Chiasson are the vets. IMHO they have a walk the walk. Drive the net and get dirty. Act like you want it. Miller has taken some flac but IMO there isn't much doubt he wants to win. Has to engage consistently. I was expecting more from Dickenson (might have a lingering injury issue) but he plays his old team tonight so he will be amped up.  

I have been a Green supporter. As a fan I have no idea how much he supports his players in the dressing room, at practice or in the video sessions. The NHL is a results league. I am sure that the Aquilini's did a review when they reupped JB and Green. Did they look at other options at that time? If they didn't they probably are now, whether they act or not. What Sutter is doing in Calgary cannot escape their notice. All this said I don't consider this roster a serious CUP contender, playoffs would be nice for both the players and fans. It won't be the end of the world if they don't make it if the time is spent developing the team into a solid program. 

Go Canucks! Slap Benn and Seguin around for a couple of hours. Every time they come to Van they have smirks on their faces.  

Trotz is unbelievable.   Think he's the best coach in the league, and also the best example of how great coaching and players buy-in can affect both game play and outcomes.   His first year Tavares just left.   Barzal was now his first line C not sheltered, and really id say at best a mediocre roster.    Can't remember the exact number, but their goals for stayed close to the same (maybe a slight down tick which to be expected), but their goals against dropped 50 or so.   With the same lineup, minus their best player!!! Ridiculous stuff.   Made me wonder how much he helped all those great Nashville defensemen that came out of that system.    A lot is my guess. 

I'm not sure about the leadership, Garland at least had a lot of nice things to say about "the leaders in this room"...OEL had to help that too.   Agree would like to see more net crashing.   At least make it tough on them.  

Feel that JB is looking to build a fast skilled team with balance.    I like that we are not a cap heavy team (yet), having money for guys like Pearson, Dickinson, Motte, Sutter etc is so important.   

5 x 5 we've actually played decently.   Our goalies don't seem to be getting 35-40 shots night in night out like it was with Markstrom so far either which is another slight improvement.    Our special teams are killing us, especially given the make-up of this team tends to give us the opportunities.   If that switch flips, and we can get back to 22-24%...it's going to get us to OT a lot more often ... 4 x 4 we are deadly same with 3 x 3.  

• Cheers 2