The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Pettersson for PLD / Boeser+ for Laine

Edit - I’m going to add in Boeser+ for Laine here.

[proposal] Canucks-Jets:  A proposal that you guys probably won't like

Hey guys,

Unlike most other proposals that I've posted on here, I'm about to propose something that most of you probably won't like.......:-p

To Jets:  Elias Pettersson

To Canucks:  Pierre Luc Dubois (+ draft pick(s) if it evens out the deal)

Why the Jets do this:

• They get a younger and more talented asset in Pettersson
  • The Jets are already big and heavy.   With an elite talented center playmaker on their hands, maybe they further maximize guys like Ehlers and Kyle Connor even further

Why the Canucks do this:

• They get bigger up front
  • They get another shot at signing an RFA to a long term deal.  Unlike Petey, Dubois likely will never be a 9-10 million dollar player (although the way Pettersson is playing, he might never be that guy either). With Dubois however, he could realistically be signed between 7-8 million for the next 7-8 years which is pretty good value.  By signing PLD to a 7-8 million dollar deal, you ensure a stronger likelihood of keeping an internal cap.  

Miller-PLD-Laine

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Podkolzin-Dickinson-Garland

Dowling-Lammiko-Bailey

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Poolman

Burroughs-Hamonic

Demko

Halak

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

Well, Dubois IS outscoring Petey thus far (PLD with 11 points) but I don't know if that's the solution either.  His size could make him tough to handle if he did drive the net on the PP but it's probably too soon still to trade away Petey's talent.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but after this season, PLD will have completed 6 seasons and only needs one more to be eligible for UFA.

IF he doesn't want to be in Winnipeg indefinitely, he could just sign his Qualifying Offer, and the following summer, cash in on the free agent market.

If that's the case, I wouldn't want to do anything unless he was locked up for long term, or if there was an agreement for that at least.

I could be wrong, but I think this guy wants to be in Montreal.

17 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but after this season, PLD will have completed 6 seasons and only needs one more to be eligible for UFA.

IF he doesn't want to be in Winnipeg indefinitely, he could just sign his Qualifying Offer, and the following summer, cash in on the free agent market.

If that's the case, I wouldn't want to do anything unless he was locked up for long term, or if there was an agreement for that at least.

PLD will still be an RFA.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/pierre-luc-dubois

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

Well, Dubois IS outscoring Petey thus far (PLD with 11 points) but I don't know if that's the solution either.  His size could make him tough to handle if he did drive the net on the PP but it's probably too soon still to trade away Petey's talent.

That’s what I’m thinking as well. I think a better solution for this team would be in changing the coach rather than trading Petey but I can’t help but wonder.....

Miller-PLD-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Podkolzin-Dickinson-Garland

Motte-Lammiko-Bailey

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Poolman

Schenn-Hamonic 

Demko

Halak

4 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

he literally just said he can sign a 1 year QO and leave your team with absolutely nothing after 1 year lol. imagine trading EP right now for 2 seasons of PLD 

Ahhh just re-read it.   Yes, that could happen, as it did to Ottawa and Mark Stone, but the Sens just ended up trading Stone to a sign and trade and received young assets in return.  

To my understanding however, most pending RFA’s don’t completely screw over their teams like that unless the team is truly free falling. 

Having said that, both of you are right.  There would be that added risk involved in trading for a guy like PLD.

I think by the response that people are getting tired of Pettersson being so easily knocked off the puck, but to be honest, I am not sure it does not have more to do with Pettersson being inured and covid  etc....over the last 18 months.

There is no doubt Pettersson is pushed around easily, but I do think it is too soon to question his abilities............

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

The proposal where I suggested that we trade you back to HF for a bucket of chicken was a popular one. :-p

You do understand that I've been on this board for over 15 years, which is several years more than HF, and have probably 5x+ the amount of posts here than I do on HF? (counting the 20k+ I lost here in the board transition)

I'm more from here than "there" if that cools your obsession at all.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

PLD is in his 5th year.  So he will have 2 more years after this year not one.  Petey is in his 4th year, so he has 3 more years after this one.  So one year difference as they were drafted one year apart.