The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kyle Rittenhouse. Murder or self defense ?

MaxVerstappen33

53 minutes ago, JM_ said:

there's just so much potential for things to go sideways. You can have a peaceful protest from any group, and nut jobs from either spectrum can show up with a brick.

Who knows why this kid was motivated to do what he did. Sounds like a combo of bad parents, online radicalization (proud boys, etc), and whatever else was in his head. He certainly wasn't going just to be helpful, he was looking to play militia and got burned. 

Absolutely.  I'm just trying to be clear that things were already violent in protests across the country before this event, and the politicians, media and people regularly praising "mostly peaceful" protests are doing very little to discourage said violence.  While I don't condone vigilante behavior, I can understand the frustration of some wanting something to be done about it.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Absolutely.  I'm just trying to be clear that things were already violent in protests across the country before this event, and the politicians, media and people regularly praising "mostly peaceful" protests are doing very little to discourage said violence.  While I don't condone vigilante behavior, I can understand the frustration of some wanting something to be done about it.

what would Fox and CNN do without it as well... 

I try to be worried about whats most likely to happen, so to me my biggest concern is a bunch of copycats this summer if KR gets off with nothing. 

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

what would Fox and CNN do without it as well... 

I try to be worried about whats most likely to happen, so to me my biggest concern is a bunch of copycats this summer if KR gets off with nothing. 

That's fair, although I think the protest level is dying down, so there may not be so much chance for conflict.

50 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Violent protests sure aren't doing any good, soooo

Actually it got the conversation advancing. I don't think much resulted of that conversation but that isn't surprising. 

I am frankly surprised it took as long as it did. 

12 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Actually it got the conversation advancing. I don't think much resulted of that conversation but that isn't surprising. 

I am frankly surprised it took as long as it did. 

Given enough of a response (i.e the number of protest participants showing up), the conversation would still have "advanced", IMO.  Perhaps, with proper messaging, it would have advanced more successfully.  I think the violence, and its coverup, just furthered polarization.  When protesters resort to violence, they lose public support.

Of course, with numbers, comes the increased opportunity for violence, so maybe it was more or less inevitable.  It takes good leadership to keep angry mobs under control (this not a potshot at anyone's leadership ability, just a general statement of fact in any mob situation)

Since there has been so much walking back of defund movements (especially when they are not strongly supported by the Black community), perhaps that is just a sign of moderation away from an extreme position (since that has been a common discussion point here last week ;)

4 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Snopes has this as unproven.

My eyes tell me that it is that same kid. Along with looking identical, those Crocks are the extra sprinkle.

Good kid.^_^

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/kyle-rittenhouse-punch-woman-video/

Hard to tell from the video, but the still photo at the end of the article certainly suggests it was him....especially when you look at those dorky Crocs....

That being said, even if this kid assaulted a woman (and his actions during and since Kenosha tell me he wouldn't think twice) it doesn't (or shouldn't) have any bearing on this trial. The fact that we know he was hanging with the Proud Boys in a bar already showed us what kind or person he is....

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Hard to tell from the video, but the still photo at the end of the article certainly suggests it was him....especially when you look at those dorky Crocs....

That being said, even if this kid assaulted a woman (and his actions during and since Kenosha tell me he wouldn't think twice) it doesn't (or shouldn't) have any bearing on this trial. The fact that we know he was hanging with the Proud Boys in a bar already showed us what kind or person he is....

Of course.

I just wanted to point out that this kid is a piece of garbage.

I believe he is the same person as the Croc wearing girl punching turd in the Snopes link. 

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Of course.

I just wanted to point out that this kid is a piece of garbage.

I believe he is the same person as the Croc wearing girl punching turd in the Snopes link. 

As do I. And even without that video, his playing "celebrity" to a bunch of Proud Boys tells me that he's exactly what we think he is.

The sad part of this whole thing is that I fully expect him to walk on the murder charges. He'll get a slap on the wrist for the weapons charge and become a hero to the MAGA crowd....

....and the divisions will get deeper...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

As do I. And even without that video, his playing "celebrity" to a bunch of Proud Boys tells me that he's exactly what we think he is.

The sad part of this whole thing is that I fully expect him to walk on the murder charges. He'll get a slap on the wrist for the weapons charge and become a hero to the MAGA crowd....

....and the divisions will get deeper...

It's gross. 

I didn't know about him hanging out with that racist group.

You're right the divisions will get deeper. What a sad story, 

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

the proud boys have an anthem? :blink:

the more I read about the details of this thing the more pathetic it gets. He crapped himself and shot 3 people when he got in over his head, and some people want to celebrate him? are these groups that lacking of role models?

19 minutes ago, Rubik said:

emotions are running high apparently

Hard to tell without hearing what led up to this, but I get the impression that the judge is prejudiced against this case. First he says that the murder victims can't be characterized as "victims" and now he (appears to be) saying that a previous incident has no bearing, because Rittenhouse didn't actually have a gun.....

The Prosecution lawyer points out (quite rightly, IMO) that the whole defense is predicated on whether KR feared for his life from a guy who also didn't have a gun and the judge says they're not similar, because Rittenhouse's actions in Kenosha were "split second" decisions?

I said earlier that I fully expect an acquittal and the judge's actions are doing nothing to make me change my mind....

16 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Hard to tell without hearing what led up to this, but I get the impression that the judge is prejudiced against this case. First he says that the murder victims can't be characterized as "victims" and now he (appears to be) saying that a previous incident has no bearing, because Rittenhouse didn't actually have a gun.....

The Prosecution lawyer points out (quite rightly, IMO) that the whole defense is predicated on whether KR feared for his life from a guy who also didn't have a gun and the judge says they're not similar, because Rittenhouse's actions in Kenosha were "split second" decisions?

I said earlier that I fully expect an acquittal and the judge's actions are doing nothing to make me change my mind....

This "judge" is doing his part to keep the MAGA crowd enlightened. Is he one of the Trump appointees?

Man 3- admitted to Kyle not shooting him when his hands were up, only shot when he had his gun pointed at him

Man 2 bashing Kyle's head in with a skateboard and gets shot

Man 1 "get him and kill him" "if I catch any of you alone I'll kill you" gun shots fired 2.5 seconds before Kyle fired, 2x the strength and age of Kyle and hands on the barrel of the gun, ran down and chased Kyle into a corner with another man with a gun.....

Hope you like my Sparknotes version for you guys. I know I would fear for my life if this man ran me down after putting out a fire unless I have Marvel level plot armor 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, jatylo said:

Man 3- admitted to Kyle not shooting him when his hands were up, only shot when he had his gun pointed at him

Man 2 bashing Kyle's head in with a skateboard and gets shot

Man 1 "get him and kill him" "if I catch any of you alone I'll kill you" gun shots fired 2.5 seconds before Kyle fired, 2x the strength and age of Kyle and hands on the barrel of the gun, ran down and chased Kyle into a corner with another man with a gun.....

Hope you like my Sparknotes version for you guys. I know I would fear for my life if this man ran me down after putting out a fire unless I have Marvel level plot armor 

Yeah. Thanks, Sparky....

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

it was preceded by this, so I guess the judge was a bit irritated by the prosecutor being unprofessional:

maybe i'm too naive, but i'd like to believe that the judge is handling this case in an objective manner, regardless whether he's a democrat or a republican.

the truth is, they don't seem to have a really strong case against Rittenhouse at this point, and I think the prosecutor is either getting frustrated or just thinks this is his best tactic.

1 minute ago, Rubik said:

it was preceded by this, so I guess the judge was a bit irritated by the prosecutor being unprofessional:

maybe i'm too naive, but i'd like to believe that the judge is handling this case in an objective manner, regardless whether he's a democrat or a republican.

the truth is, they don't seem to have a really strong case against Rittenhouse at this point, and I think the prosecutor is either getting frustrated or just thinks this is his best tactic.

They don't? It's established that Rittenhouse shot Rosenbaum and it's established that Rosembaum was unarmed. We only have Rittenhouse's word that Rosenbaum threatened to kill him and KR claims that he thought the plastic bag that Rosenbaum threw at him was a chain. (Because those two things look so much alike :rolleyes:)

It's seems like a pretty decent case in any country where a judge refuses to allow people who were shot and killed to be called "victims".

I'd like to believe that the judge can be impartial as well, but what I've seen and heard so far makes that difficult to believe. Couple that with the obvious partisanship on the Supreme Court and it suggests to me that these two murder victims will not receive justice and it won't be long before Rittenhouse is back hanging with his Proud Boy friends, flashing White Power symbols and playing GI Joe with his lethal weapon that he treats like a toy....

• -SN- locked this topic