The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which draft bust hurt us the most ?

Rate this topic

MaxVerstappen33

3 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

There must be a Russian forum for the team Virtanen is on. I'll just use auto translate. Curious what they are saying 

I think we should resign him after his conditioning stint in Russia.

:bigblush:

Either that or watch the Oilers sign him like they did with kassian 

You kidding? The moment Virtanen signed in the KHL. There was this scream out of Calgary.

DIBS! 

• Haha 1

We’ve gone through this before.  Every team, during their rebuilding time, has both hits and misses with their high firsts.  Chicago, during their phase, missed with two high firsts:  Barker (3OA) and Skille (7OA).  Rebuilds are successful or not depending on the quality of those high firsts that are hits, and whether the misses were covered for by good selections outside of round one.  We can clearly see Petey, Hughes, Boeser, and Podzilla were excellent picks.  Our two misses are covered by Hogs covering Jake, and Bone covering OJ.

This is very easy to understand.  

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We’ve gone through this before.  Every team, during their rebuilding time, has both hits and misses with their high firsts.  Chicago, during their phase, missed with two high firsts:  Barker (3OA) and Skille (7OA).  Rebuilds are successful or not depending on the quality of those high firsts that are hits, and whether the misses were covered for by good selections outside of round one.  We can clearly see Petey, Hughes, Boeser, and Podzilla were excellent picks.  Our two misses are covered by Hogs covering Jake, and Bone covering OJ.

In Barker's draft year, they also drafted Bolland, Bickell, and Brouwer (all played hundreds of games at the NHL level).  Even Barker played over 300 games at the NHL level.

In Skille's draft year, they also drafted Hjalmarsson (over 800 games at the NHL level)

In the draft year where they whiffed on 21st overall pick in Babchuk, they also drafted Duncan Keith in the 2nd round.

They swing hard & miss but they also connect & hit before getting "three strikes".

2 minutes ago, Bure_of_94 said:

All 3 of those guys played more games than Joulevi though. 

You said he is the highest drafted player to bust in the last 10 years.   
Here are 3 that are higher drafted busts.   
Also, 30-100 games is t anything to brag about.  Still big old busts.  

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

You said he is the highest drafted player to bust in the last 10 years.   
Here are 3 that are higher drafted busts.   
Also, 30-100 games is t anything to brag about.  Still big old busts.  

Yakupov played 350 games which is 4-5 seasons. Yes he was a huge letdown I’m sure because he was taken #1, but he still played the average length of nhl careers. 
- Dal Colle is still active and signed to the islanders, he could resurge as well. 111 games. 
- Reinhart.... complete bust. I see him and Joulevi in the same light. 

The outside shot is that dal colle and/or Joulevi could rebound. But probably both will join Reinhart in complete bust territory. And if Joulevi never plays another game in the NHL, I’d label him the biggest bust of this whole group. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I think sometimes GM's and their scouting staff get too much credit for drafting good picks and too much critisism for drafting busts.  Unless the the bust pick was way off the board and due diligence wasn't done, (Patrick White) its really up to the player how successful they become.  Despite all the interviews, its really hard to know what's between the ears of these prospects.  You can have a player with all the skills in the world but if they don't have the drive or the discipline, they will struggle to make it to the NHL.  Practically all the superstars in this league have that drive.  I remember that Juolevi was not the most popular pick at the time.  There was the Russian factor to deal with from Sergachev and Chycrun while being the frontrunner as a top D pick dropped in stock coming up to the draft.  Juolevi for me would be the biggest bust based on draft position and what others we could have got have done but really, it was not an off the board pick and I can't fault the organization for picking him.

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

We don't need to trade for OEL if Juolevi plays like Edler.

Hughes, Juolevi, Rathbone as LD

Respectfully disagree.

Rathbone wasn't ready for the NHL.

Young Edler is still not as good as OEL. OEL is playing like a #1D, Edler was never a #1D even at the best of times.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, khay said:

Respectfully disagree.

Rathbone wasn't ready for the NHL.

Young Edler is still not as good as OEL. OEL is playing like a #1D, Edler was never a #1D even at the best of times.

Edler looked good from 22-24. But he made lots of braindead plays even as he was really experienced. I don’t think his skill was ever in question. 
 He just made lots of high risk passes in his own end up the middle and his speed was really fading by the time he hit 30. 

15 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petr Nedved.  The reason we drafted him over Jaromir Jagr was because apparently it was going to be difficult to get Jagr over from the Czech Republic.  So we took Nedved at #2 overall.  Then at #5 overall Pittsburgh drafted Jagr, who was actually in Pacific Coliseum and came down and put on a Penguins jersey.

Absolutely this! Nedved had a pretty decent career but to miss out on one of the games best ever.. ouch. 

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

In Barker's draft year, they also drafted Bolland, Bickell, and Brouwer (all played hundreds of games at the NHL level).  Even Barker played over 300 games at the NHL level.

In Skille's draft year, they also drafted Hjalmarsson (over 800 games at the NHL level)

In the draft year where they whiffed on 21st overall pick in Babchuk, they also drafted Duncan Keith in the 2nd round.

They swing hard & miss but they also connect & hit before getting "three strikes".

And that’s exactly what happens with a successful rebuild.  There are misses with high picks, but those misses are covered by successful picks outside of round one.  We have Demko as another excellent pick outside round one.  

57 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

I think sometimes GM's and their scouting staff get too much credit for drafting good picks and too much critisism for drafting busts.  Unless the the bust pick was way off the board and due diligence wasn't done, (Patrick White) its really up to the player how successful they become.  Despite all the interviews, its really hard to know what's between the ears of these prospects.  You can have a player with all the skills in the world but if they don't have the drive or the discipline, they will struggle to make it to the NHL.  Practically all the superstars in this league have that drive.  I remember that Juolevi was not the most popular pick at the time.  There was the Russian factor to deal with from Sergachev and Chycrun while being the frontrunner as a top D pick dropped in stock coming up to the draft.  Juolevi for me would be the biggest bust based on draft position and what others we could have got have done but really, it was not an off the board pick and I can't fault the organization for picking him.

And the miss with OJ was covered by the excellent later round pick of Rathbone.  Like you say, no team during their rebuilding phase picks the best guy available with all their first round picks.  Benning has been fabulous at the draft.  

16 hours ago, TheNewGM said:

passing on mathew tchuck

Will have to agree on this.  Although the Virtanen pick ended up being a whiff, we still got 4 seasons and 100 goals out of Jake which basically equates to low 2nd round or very high 3rd round calibre.  Bust, but still something tangible.

Juolevi was an off the charts bust.  It’s sad because I do think injures derailed him significantly, but he also knew what expectations were when coming into camp this season and he didn’t deliver.

Having said that, if we are looking to make amends for 2016, then I would suggest that we make the following trades:

1) Pettersson for Pierre Luc Dubois

2) Boeser++ for Matthew Tkachuk

1 hour ago, coho8888 said:

With analytics getting more popular in 2012/13, you'd think it might have helped drafting. Maybe it did a bit.