Canucks Community

[Proposal] Adding while rising

TRADES
Canucks acquire: D Travis Dermott

F Pierre Engvall

Maple Leafs acquire: D Travis Hamonic

F Matthew Highmore

2nd Round Draft Pick 2024 
($975K of Hamonic $ retained by Canucks)

The Maple Leafs are shopping Dermott and Holl but IMO will likely trade Dermott as they are very short on RHD and have a very similar young aggressive puck moving LHD to Dermott in Rasmus Sandin and also many similar overall LHD in the likes of Rielly, Brodie, and Muzzin. Dermott fixes are LHD issue after Ekman-Larsson and Hughes and Dermott easily plays both sides in a Nate Schmidt type puck moving fashion. So even when Rathbone is ready we can have Dermott in the future picture. He helps us now, in the future, is slick with the puck, has a jump in his crossovers, has vision, is 6’0, 205Lbs, hits to hurt, and will fight. The Leafs were also shopping Engvall at the start of the season and he’s fairly young with a massive frame and a poor-mans Pettersson type style. He gives us potentially more offense than Highmore and a lot more size. The Leafs get smarter in the two-way game on forward, more experienced on D as well as a much needed rounded RHD, and also a needed draft pick. With the amount I have the Canucks retaining on Hamonic in this trade; the cap is a wash for both teams and no one is taking on salary.

UFAs

D Jason Demers (1 year/2-way/$750,000)

We’ve looked at him twice in just under four years now and he offsets the loss of having to move a veteran all-around RHD in Hamonic to get Dermott. He’s also a former teammate of Ekman-Larsson and Garland and D-pair partner of Ekman-Larsson. And he brings loads of playoff experience, heart, underrated puck skills from the point, and a keen understanding of handling the Pacific Division and winning in the league.

NHL-AHL ROSTER MOVES

Send Podkolzin down to play with his “Russian” friend Klimovich and have the two next superstars of the team build chemistry and allow Podkolzin to have some seasoning. (Yes I’m aware he scored tonight and many will call for my head for saying this but understand developing young players and a raw power forward of Podkolzins style and upside. Plus Podkolzin is early in his ELC and can be shuffled up and down no problem).  Call up Di Giuseppe who is a former 2nd round pick for a reason, still somewhat young and seems to get better all the time, and IMO was the quickest, smartest positionally, grittiest, and best forward in pre-season out of the 4th line battle between him, Lockwood, Highmore, Dowling, Gadjovich, and Dries.

DEPTH-CHARTS

Engvall -Pettersson- Hoglander

Pearson -Horvat- Garland

Motte -Miller- Boeser

Di Giuseppe -Dickinson- Bailey

Lammikko

Ekman-Larsson - Schenn

Hughes - Myers

Dermott - Poolman

Burroughs - Demers

Demko

Halak

LTIR

Keeper

Brisebois

Sutter

Ferland

ABBOTSFORD

Dowling -Petan- Chiasson

Podkolzin -Dries- Klimovich

Keppen -Focht- Rempal

Plasek -Stevens- Lockwood

Arseneau -Wouters- Lukosevicius

Nielsen

Rathbone - Woo

Hunt - Juulsen

Sautner - Bowey

Schilling - Stephens

Brubacher - Kannok-Leipert

DiPietro

Silovs

Martin

Edited by ZH96
  • Wat 1

That line up is interesting in the least, Engvall has negative value right now he has a career high 15 points in 48 games, He isn't the best in his own zone either, (minus 2 this year) He may be a big boy but the leafs need a physical big power forward, and he isn't that or else they wouldn't be shopping him, Rather save the money and have the better player up with the team in Pod,  Dermott has 2 fights in the nhl so I really wouldn't call him a fighter, he does hit about the same much as Hamonic, the biggest stat the worries me with Dermott is His giveaway to takeaway ratio last year on the leafs who where the best in the division he turned the puck over almost 30 times compared to picking it off just 4 which isn't the player we need while comparing this to Hamonic's 19 giveaways to 10 takeaways it seems we are downgrading on the defensive side here, while giving up a player that helps our biggest weakness which a shutdown RHD and we are giving a 2nd round pick to do so, much better options for a 3rd paring LHD elsewhere 

Dermott is a clear up grade over Hamonic is he not?  I like this idea but would the Leafs go for this?

As far as your line combos go, I don’t like them.  One thing that has killed the Canucks so far this year is Green’s constant tinkering of lines.

Edited by Patel Bure

10 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Dermott is a clear up grade over Hamonic is he not?  I like this idea but would the Leafs go for this?

As far as your line combos go, I don’t like them.  One thing that has killed the Canucks so far this year is Green’s constant tinkering of lines.

he is? how so?

18 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Toronto Maple Leafs 12 games 15 points

Vancouver Canucks  12 games 11 points

Leafs are damn good this season. Watch their games and you will notice the difference between the Leafs team and the Canucks team.

You know which Canadian team is REALLY good this year?  The Flames.  They look a lot like their 2004-2007 selves thanks to Darryl Sutter.  The whole team is tenacious on the puck and plays very stingy defense.  

They are more dangerous than the Oilers in my opinion.  

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

My lines create depth. Changing them too much as Green has done as you pointed out is the problem. Not what I drew up. This would be great.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, ZH96 said:

My lines create depth. Changing them too much as Green has done as you pointed out is the problem. Not what I drew up. This would be great.

Fair enough.

One thing I’d suggest is to Atleast keep the Podkolzin-Dickinson-Garland line in tact.  That line seems to be really gaining some traction.

• Like 1

If we’re competitive and we want to move Hamonic, the guy that I want is Connor Murphy out of Chicago if possible.  Big, youngish, physical, and is signed to a good contract.  If Chicago decides to have a firesale at some point, he’s the first guy that I’d inquire about.

36 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

If we’re competitive and we want to move Hamonic, the guy that I want is Connor Murphy out of Chicago if possible.  Big, youngish, physical, and is signed to a good contract.  If Chicago decides to have a firesale at some point, he’s the first guy that I’d inquire about.

And why would Chicago want to move Murphy for Hamonic? He’s wears an A there and they just recently-signed him to a 4 year extension.  I’m thinking he’s part of the long term

plan