The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Good to see PP improved a lot, how about any suggestions to PK?

Rate this topic

Rabbit

There are plenty of issue with canucks pk. 

1 they are not aggressive enough

2 they are terrible at preventing that cross ice pass from the slot

3 they hardly block any shots

4 their center is terrible at faceoff

5 we don't have enough defenseman capable of playing penalty kill

Poolman so far have been on the ice for a good chunk of all the powerplay goals against. Hughes doesn't play the penalty kill at all. If OEL or myer takes a penalty. All you have is OEL/myer, hamonic, poolman and a combination of hunt borrough or schenn. So basically your bottom 2 pairing defenseman on the pk whenever one of OEL or myer gets called against other teams powerplay/top players. When you have to rely on ur #5/6/7 defenseman against other teams top players.. you are gonna have issue. Can't wait till we go on a road trip when hamonic won't be available yet I believe due to the waiting period to get the second shot and the wait period after the shot. We will be rocking 2 of schenn hunt borough whenever oel or myer gets a penalty instead of 1. 

I was looking thru how much minutes each players play on the PK. I was like oh they dont play all that much PK mins.. then I realize oh wait the other team scores pretty quick on the powerplay so we are rarely penalty killing lol

You have to be more aggressive on the pk to put pressure on their guys to make passes and hold onto the puck. Perimeter shots are ideal in hockey, but those types of shots go in all the time on powerplays. Our PP sucks when we get pressured, as we lose the puck all the time and the other team clears; and this is with a high amount of talent on our PP. 

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Well, if the Nucks hadn't been slapped sideways by the Bush League Bettnan NHL, they wouldn't be throwing $ at Luongo's retirement fund.  :mad:

well we have been throwing 2-3mil per year every year for the past 4-5 years at the buy out retirement funds so does it make a difference?

it's missing motte.. otherwise as the team progresses and it is as much as the never ending lil whiney biotches would hate to admit it but we'll have time to work on it AND we'll have a lot less penalties in the first place as we get used to newer players and it's already moving forward. Hardly anything to worry about, same as the PP, it'll work out.

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Well, if the Nucks hadn't been slapped sideways by the Bush League Bettnan NHL, they wouldn't be throwing $ at Luongo's retirement fund.  :mad:

Got to punish the Canucks more as a result of a contract they approved already vs another team giving a good job reference to an alleged rapist (who would later be accused of continuing that kind of behaviour)

15 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

We’re really missing right handed options for taking PK/Dzone faceoffs.

Having only lefties available puts us at a serious disadvantage, and teams have been exploiting this.

The attacking team on the power play gets to choose which faceoff dot is used on the starting draw, and they also get to put their stick down last every offensive zone faceoff.

Choosing the dot allows the attacking team to start the power play on a “strong side” faceoff.

And when it’s lefty vs lefty, and the attacking player is on his “strong side,” the defending player is on his “weak side,” which is a serious disadvantage.

Additionally, having to go stick down first basically forces the defending player to always “show their cards” on a faceoff.

And the attacking player gets to adjust to what he’s shown.

It’s also just harder to tie up the other guy when you’re stick down first.

All together, this probably adds up to around a -15% disadvantage. As in an average 50% faceoff winning player might only be expected to win 35% of his draws, if he’s taking all his faceoffs on his weak side, and having to put his stick down first.

And with only lefties available on our current PK, there’s really not a lot we can do to counteract this overall disadvantage, when it comes to winning faceoffs.

Definitely would be nice to have Sutter back. 

Can Garland take face-offs?

25 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

This might sound stupid but I wonder if Arizona would be willing to send Beagle back to us with retention for a late pick and a low end player?

its not stupid. I'd love him back at 1/2 price. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Can Garland take face-offs?

No idea. But generally speaking, I’d still favour a centreman on his weak side, over a winger on his strong side, unless that winger has experience taking faceoffs. Even with the disadvantage, the centre still probably wins more often.

EDIT: looks like Garland has taken just over 50 faceoffs and is a career 42.6%. But he’s a perfect two for two this season in Vancouver, so maybe you’re on to something?

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

14 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol so who do you suggest we put on the PK? Poolman have been pretty terrible 4v5 and on for majority of the goals against on the PK. 

Thats for the coaches to figure out and fix.  At this point, I've seen enough examples of Myers failing to clear the zone and it is costing the team wins.   Other than a brain fart or two a game, he has been solid d.  If he was, getting paid Poolman money then I would probably give him more slack.

Next time, the Nucks are in a PK and Myers is on - pay attention when he gets a chance to clear.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

23 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Thats for the coaches to figure out and fix.  At this point, I've seen enough examples of Myers failing to clear the zone and it is costing the team wins.   Other than a brain fart or two a game, he has been solid d.  If he was, getting paid Poolman money then I would probably give him more slack.

Next time, the Nucks are in a PK and Myers is on - pay attention when he gets a chance to clear.

well at least myer is lasting longer on the penalty kill before giving up a goal. poolman is avging a PK goal against every 3mins 20 sec of penalty kill myer is every 4mins. poolman was suppose to be brought in for his defensive ability and being paid strictly for his defensive ability. i don't care what myer is making 6mil u can split that up into 3mil for offense 3mil for defense. poolman is strictly defense only so no i'm not really giving him any slack.

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

well at least myer is lasting longer on the penalty kill before giving up a goal. poolman is avging a PK goal against every 3mins 20 sec of penalty kill myer is every 4mins. poolman was suppose to be brought in for his defensive ability and being paid strictly for his defensive ability. i don't care what myer is making 6mil u can split that up into 3mil for offense 3mil for defense. poolman is strictly defense only so no i'm not really giving him any slack.

Just to re iterate - one is getting paid 6 million to be a minute eater and the other was signed at 2.5 million.  For me, it is about expectations that comes from the salary; and from my POV, Poolman has NOT been noticeably bad.   Anyways, it seems you like Myers - then agree to disagree; and in tonights game, if Myers is in the PK then I hope he does a better job clearing the puck.

Also, I didn't mention anything about Poolman in my original post; rather, I just commented that Myers should not be in the PK.