The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks VS Ducks | November 9th, 7pm

Rate this topic

MattJVD

14 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

How bad are the Ducks now ? 

They're pretty good. 

Excited to see how that McTavish kid is looking. I hope the Canucks can contain them. 

Anaheim has always had a brutish, big kind of team. I hope we won't be getting pushed around tonight. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

6g 8a 14p in 13 games so far this year. Good but not great. Of course it will be interesting to see what he turns into. Unless he turns into a star like or better than Boeser we probably win the trade. Even then it's still a pretty good trade for us in that we got 2 tonified top players.

Cause they're from the desert...so they had a bonafide tan....:picard:sorry I'll go back to bed now.

Hope Poolman's not too banged up after last game.

Edited by Cat Man
spelling
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

They're pretty good. 

Excited to see how that McTavish kid is looking. I hope the Canucks can contain them. 

Anaheim has always had a brutish, big kind of team. I hope we won't be getting pushed around tonight. 

One thing, I haven't seen so far this season, is the Canucks being pushed around physically. The team has a better overall response to more physical play than they've had in seasons past. The defense has Myers, OEL, Hamonic, Schenn, Burroughs, and Poolman who are all more than capable of handling the rough stuff. The forwards aren't as capable, but still have more than enough players to manage should things get chippy. Most games, Vancouver is managing a solid hit total. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

According to some Nuck fans, the answer is Dickinson.

Regarding JD, I believe he was mostly played as a winger in Dallas and was very effective in that role.  Right now, he not only has to adjust to a new team/systems, he also has needs to develop his 3C abilities alongside rotating teammates.  It would be great if he could play the wing, but the team doesn't have that kind of depth.

So still looking for a legitimate third line centreman. 

History doesn't bode well for the Canucks when facing the Ducks as of late... though the Ducks don't have the greatest team, they're young players are unpredictable and energetic, Getzlaf is having a mini resurgence, and Gibson has a tendency to steal games. Defense and PK need to be extra focused tonight, and the offense needs to carry through the momentum from last game.

Goals from Petey, Podz, and Pearson tonight!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

One thing, I haven't seen so far this season, is the Canucks being pushed around physically. The team has a better overall response to more physical play than they've had in seasons past. The defense has Myers, OEL, Hamonic, Schenn, Burroughs, and Poolman who are all more than capable of handling the rough stuff. The forwards aren't as capable, but still have more than enough players to manage should things get chippy. Most games, Vancouver is managing a solid hit total. 

Alright that's great. I know we're not the biggest (in terms of physically big) team in the league. But we're not the smallest either, and I don't think the team plays small. I know in years past, when the team would head down to L.A. or Anaheim, we'd always get beat physically down there, and more often than not, we'd lose coming out of the California trip. We're at home tonight, but that doesn't really mean much since the start of the homestead where we're like 2-4? Rogers Arena isn't necessarily a fortress for the home team, and it's not necessarily a place to fear to play in. 

Horvat, I'd even say Garland as small as he is, plays quite physical for a guy his size. He's not afraid to hit, and be physical. Love that about him. I'm more concerned about Petey with a game like tonight because he's such a thin guy, slight frame. Afraid that he could get injured in a game like this against players that are large, specifically a player like Getzlaf. 

52 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

They’re not wrong imo.

Dickinson has been a huge bust so far.  He is both offensively and defensively inferior to Brandon Sutter, and defensively inferior to Jay Beagle.  Beagle and Sutter could win face offs and kill penalties.

You have the right to your opinion but I think it's obvious that some of you guys haven't actually played hockey or sports competitively. One of the greatest things about sport is your constant evolution as a player and a team, especially turning it around after a slump. That's what it's all about, correcting mistakes and getting better as a team. This is like people writing off the team 3 days ago and now we're 2 wins away from being a top 10 team. Complete snap judgements. Some people have hard time understanding you won't always be in first place I guess.

The NHL is very fluid and the landscape changes radically during the year. Fans are doing a disservice to players like Dickinson, and the team in general by making these proclamations at this point of the season, and 12 games into Dickinson's tenure.

I sure wouldn't want to be your teammate if that's how you welcome a new player to the team.

I guess we'll all be on Dickinson watch now tonight. :mellow: The pitchforks are out. :lol:

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Alright that's great. I know we're not the biggest (in terms of physically big) team in the league. But we're not the smallest either, and I don't think the team plays small. I know in years past, when the team would head down to L.A. or Anaheim, we'd always get beat physically down there, and more often than not, we'd lose coming out of the California trip.

Those days are long gone for sure. Having players like Myers, Hamonic, and Schenn who are big and strong players is a good thing. 

We're at home tonight, but that doesn't really mean much since the start of the homestead where we're like 2-4? Rogers Arena isn't necessarily a fortress for the home team, and it's not necessarily a place to fear to play in.

Rogers Arena could be such a great place to see games, if the staff weren't so focused on keeping people quiet. I've always been embarrassed when I've seen staff ask people to be quiet. It's a frickin hockey game for Gord's sake. Imagine doing that at the Coliseum. They need to calm down on telling people to calm down. Teams always benefit from raucous crowds.  

Horvat, I'd even say Garland as small as he is, plays quite physical for a guy his size. He's not afraid to hit, and be physical. Love that about him. I'm more concerned about Petey with a game like tonight because he's such a thin guy, slight frame. Afraid that he could get injured in a game like this against players that are large, specifically a player like Getzlaf. 

Pettersson has to avoid putting himself in positions where he's going to get crushed, which he's been able to do in the past. I'd like to see that feisty side of him come out more, when he was throwing reverse hits on players.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, therodigy said:

History doesn't bode well for the Canucks when facing the Ducks as of late... though the Ducks don't have the greatest team, they're young players are unpredictable and energetic, Getzlaf is having a mini resurgence, and Gibson has a tendency to steal games. Defense and PK need to be extra focused tonight, and the offense needs to carry through the momentum from last game.

Goals from Petey, Podz, and Pearson tonight!

Man, I am worried about that PK. It's now dead last in the league isn't it? And while the PP had a resurgence of sorts last game, it's hard to tell whether it's "back" or still on life support. But the team can't afford to take penalties tonight, because from a fan's perspective, there's almost zero confidence that they can kill it off. I wonder if that's starting to cast doubt on the players themselves on whether they'll be scored on if they're on the PK. I hope not

• Vintage 1

42 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Along with a star RD, a solid LD who can PK, and a fourth liner that can PK and chip in 15-20 goals. And have them all come in at less than $1m per season. All teams have holes. This is one that's under construction for the Canucks.

I wonder how concerned the Canucks staff is about this though? They had to know this was a distinct possibility even before the season started. Are they willing to ride this out, do they not even care that much if Dickinson is retrieving the puck anyway and playing positive hockey. Are they hoping he gets better? Or are they actively keying on this as an immediate must fix? Hmmmm. The one option is Sutter (if he comes back and until he gets hurt ::D) goes there and Dickinson moves to the 4th line.

To be honest I hadn't viewed Dickinson as a problem at all before reading this thread.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Well, I'm not feeling very positive of Sutter coming back (or even if he could take on the 3c role).  Hopefully, Dickinson will get comfortable with the role and improve the necessary skills required.

Unless there's a $ reciprocating trade, he stays as 3C (they could move Miller to 3C, but then the top 6 gets weaker).

14 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

You have the right to your opinion but I think it's obvious that some of you guys haven't actually played hockey or sports competitively.

I've played basketball competitively, and I understand what you're saying. It's hard man. The other teams that you're playing aren't just going to roll over and let you win. Even when I was on my basketball teams throughout high school, when we faced a good team, we didn't just think we were going to lose. We went into that game thinking we could win, and that we had a chance. We played our hearts out, and tried, and hustled. Sometimes we were overmatched and we just weren't good enough, but that didn't deter us from trying to win. 

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

Well, I'm not feeling very positive of Sutter coming back (or even if he could take on the 3c role).  Hopefully, Dickinson will get comfortable with the role and improve the necessary skills required.

Unless there's a $ reciprocating trade, he stays as 3C (they could move Miller to 3C, but then the top 6 gets weaker).

Sutter was able to handle that duty once but like what happened to Edler, he got old (and the accumulation of injuries) a couple years ago.