The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Top 10 Individual Offensive Playoff Runs in Canuck History

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Those 2020 playoffs will always have a bit of an asterisk for me in terms of stats. The play-in round shouldn't really count for individual stats, but on the flip side getting to the 7th game of the 2nd round was much harder then usual because of having to win the series against Minny first. 

Just now, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Samuelsson I think is one of those forgotten guys (because of his short tenure with this team), but he was actually a really solid player for us especially in the playoffs. 

Worked well with the Sedins too. 

I'll never forget when he told Team Sweden to go F themselves ::D

17 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Samuelsson I think is one of those forgotten guys (because of his short tenure with this team), but he was actually a really solid player for us especially in the playoffs. 

Worked well with the Sedins too. 

He was amazing in the 2010 playoffs. The cup run in 2011, he was injured in the first round. Who knows what might have been had he played the whole series?

• Cheers 2

I find it interesting how both Burrows in 2011 and Horvat in 2020 aren't on here because honestly I'd rank both of them in the top 5 ahead of any other Canucks in 2020 because they both threw the team on their backs at points throughout their respective runs.

It's kinda funny how 2020 is the franchise's fourth longest playoff run of all time spanning 3 playoff rounds yet it sorta came out of nowhere and I feel like it's a little underappreciated because of the whole Covid thing.  There were so many standout performances that year from Pettersson, Hughes, and Miller, to Horvat, Demko, Markstrom, and Motte (like damn he had two unbelievable goals against St. Louis).  Even Tanev scored the OT series clincher against the Wild (the craziest I've gone for a hockey moment since Burrows scoring on Boston in OT in 2011).  I hope we can build on it with many more deep playoff runs, but the bubble was such a great experience.

15 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

I find it interesting how both Burrows in 2011 and Horvat in 2020 aren't on here because honestly I'd rank both of them in the top 5 ahead of any other Canucks in 2020 because they both threw the team on their backs at points throughout their respective runs.

It's kinda funny how 2020 is the franchise's fourth longest playoff run of all time spanning 3 playoff rounds yet it sorta came out of nowhere and I feel like it's a little underappreciated because of the whole Covid thing.  There were so many standout performances that year from Pettersson, Hughes, and Miller, to Horvat, Demko, Markstrom, and Motte (like damn he had two unbelievable goals against St. Louis).  Even Tanev scored the OT series clincher against the Wild (the craziest I've gone for a hockey moment since Burrows scoring on Boston in OT in 2011).  I hope we can build on it with many more deep playoff runs, but the bubble was such a great experience.

Looking back, I definitely think 2020 was underappreciated. Horvat and Burrows both were super clutch, but "clutchness" wasn't a factor for me on this list. Horvat did score 10 goals, but only had 2 assists and I didn't weigh goals more than assists. Burrows performed well, but Kesler, Hank, and Dank all out-scored him. Obviously the timing of the goals of Burrows was big and there's more to overall performance than offensive point totals, but this list was never really meant to be an overall ranking, just a list to highlight the top point producers (with some adjustments made for the eras).

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Looking back, I definitely think 2020 was underappreciated. Horvat and Burrows both were super clutch, but "clutchness" wasn't a factor for me on this list. Horvat did score 10 goals, but only had 2 assists and I didn't weigh goals more than assists. Burrows performed well, but Kesler, Hank, and Dank all out-scored him. Obviously the timing of the goals of Burrows was big and there's more to overall performance than offensive point totals, but this list was never really meant to be an overall ranking, just a list to highlight the top point producers (with some adjustments made for the eras).

Cool beans makes sense.  Completely missed it but I didn't realize at all it was your article XD .  You write articles often?

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

Cool beans makes sense.  Completely missed it but I didn't realize at all it was your article XD .  You write articles often?

Haha yeah, there aren't many users who really do any sort of formal writing here (that I'm aware of). I don't have any sort of schedule, but I'd say I average maybe 10 articles a year or something. Just a hobby on the side and I sometimes share Canuck related ones here. Nothing professional, but I enjoy putting my research into a sort of polished format.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, CaptKirk888 said:

He was amazing in the 2010 playoffs. The cup run in 2011, he was injured in the first round. Who knows what might have been had he played the whole series?

Yeah. I mean I guess it doesn't really matter since we won that first round (thank goodness) but who knows, he could've been more effective if he was 100%.

Maybe he was still  dealing with an ailment and not quite 100% those entire playoffs.

11 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Yeah. I mean I guess it doesn't really matter since we won that first round (thank goodness) but who knows, he could've been more effective if he was 100%.

Maybe he was still  dealing with an ailment and not quite 100% those entire playoffs.

He was injured and did not play after game 11 of 25.

14 hours ago, -AJ- said:

If anything I would say 2020 is overappreciated if it has 3 of the 10 all time best playoff performances on any list.  30% of the list from 2020.  1982 was a run to the finals and it only gets one appearance on the list, at 10th place.  Meanwhile Stan Smyl had 9 goals and 18 points in 17 games and isn't anywhere.

I think 1982 is getting the Rodney Dangerfield treatment.

I would have had 1991 Cliff Ronning as an honorable mention myself.  Cliff in 1991 was kind of like the 2020 performances that are being hailed here.  It was putting the league on notice that the Canucks had big things ahead, and he was hands down the star of those playoffs.  Cliff had 6 goals and 9 points in 6 games in 1991.  Then 13 points in 13 games and 11 in 12 the following two years.  I personally rate all of that on par with 2020, Mikael Samuelsson's best stuff, etc.

Trevor and Pavel in 1994 are definitely 1 and 2.

After that...The Sedins in 2011 and Smyl (82) and Gradin (82) are all kind of on par for the next four spots if you ask me.

Kesler 2011 is a weird one.  He had one of the best series in team history against Nashville, but was 0.42 points per game for the rest of the playoffs.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, MikeBossy said:

I find 2011 the most "offensive" because the Bruins beat us for the cup followed by 1994 when the Rangers did :emot-parrot:

I find your username offensive for winning the Conn Smyth in 1982 Finals against us.:P

Damn you Harold, why did you have to pass it to *THE* most lethal sniper in the league (right in the slot of all places).:lol:

• Like 2

On 11/9/2021 at 4:10 PM, iceman64 said:

This year will be 11th, can hardly wait to see this team in a month after making up for lost time, and Podz starting to rocket .

I'm expecting Podz to have more than the 13 min of ice time he received against Anaheim on Tuesday. 

The guy is getting there. 

41 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I'm expecting Podz to have more than the 13 min of ice time he received against Anaheim on Tuesday. 

The guy is getting there. 

Well from what came out of TG's mouth in a interview, he said something along the lines of screwing it up by not easing him in. I sort of agree BUT the transition period is all but over, now if TG would only tell him to pin his ears back and go for it. However if he takes Horvat's route to learn to play consistent D first then that's ok too. I'm obviously a big fan of his and I don't care too much AS LONG as he makes it and stays in his trajectory, after that, it's entirely up to him. (fingers crossed)