The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Jack Rathbone

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

24 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I don't see a long list of teams wanting an unvaccinated player considering how many games he'll miss when that team has to cross the border.

pretty sure there will be a long list.. hamonic already got his first shot and just need to wait the waiting period for his 2nd shot and then wait another 7 or 14 days to be considered vaccinated.. so why wouldn't there be a long list of team that'll take a free middle pairing defenseman?

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

For those wondering, Hamonic isn’t fully vaccinated yet, so he can’t cross the border for this upcoming road trip.

So help me out here...

Do you have to be vaccinated to go to Roger's Arena to watch a game?

Jim Benning lied as all the players aren't vaccinated?

I am so confused.

14 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

pretty sure there will be a long list.. hamonic already got his first shot and just need to wait the waiting period for his 2nd shot and then wait another 7 or 14 days to be considered vaccinated.. so why wouldn't there be a long list of team that'll take a free middle pairing defenseman?

That's now but clearly not when he was put on waivers.

48 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Nice chance for Jack to play some games. Even though I don't think he's NHL ready, I hope he plays if he's called up. Give him another chance to win a spot over the rotating 6th men or at least continue to learn.

Me, as well. Burroughs has some really good moments, Schenn has some really good moments, I hope Hunt has some good moments. I don't want to see all the pressure on JR, for the sake of his development. He needs AHL games and practice, not 10-12 minutes in the bigs.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Because at the time no one knew what was going on with Harmonic.

2 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Would he be a risk of being claimed ? I doubt it

Anyway Rathbone shouldn't have been sent down anyway, the way Schenn was playing defense. I'd rather see Rathbone making those mistakes than Schenn.

2 hours ago, #Canucks said:

Schenn is pretty good in his role and he always stands up for his teammates. Schenn over Rathbone for me.

I kind of disagree with both of these two extremes.

They are two very different types, and ages of players. 

I agree with #Canucks that Schenn is pretty good in his role.  I don't get all the criticism.  He brings an element to the table we are sorely lacking in. Toughness from the back end.....or anywhere. And I have not seen Luke make a lot of mistakes either. He mostly makes  good passes. Hits, And yes, stands up for teammates. His speed is not really a factor for the role he plays on the team. For his cap hit, he's a bargain.

I think we need both.  Not as top four obviously, but Rathbone could be eased into more ice time as he progressed. While Schenn is used more sparingly throughout the season.  The two don't have to be linked, either / or.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Anyway Rathbone shouldn't have been sent down anyway, the way Schenn was playing defense. I'd rather see Rathbone making those mistakes than Schenn.

If I am not mistaken, Rathbone didn't need to clear waivers in order to be sent down.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Tbh I'd prefere no mistakes are made...

I think its fair to say, if we want to be heading towards the play offs, so we don't have room for Rathbone to learn as he goes...

Schenn has a skill set Rathbone doesn't, and he is better defensively... Unless Rathbone has improved defensively, I think he'll be sent back as soon as Harmonic/Schenn is ready to go again.

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Tbh I'd prefere no mistakes are made...

I think its fair to say, if we want to be heading towards the play offs, so we don't have room for Rathbone to learn as he goes...

Schenn has a skill set Rathbone doesn't, and he is better defensively... Unless Rathbone has improved defensively, I think he'll be sent back as soon as Harmonic/Schenn is ready to go again.

Rathbone would get hurt in the playoffs, unless he changes his name to Wrath Jackbone. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Benning never “lied.”

Whenever he made statements as to the team being “fully vaccinated,” he was careful to not include Hamonic.

When Hamonic was holding out, Benning would only say that everyone who had reported was vaccinated.

Once Hamonic was demoted to Abbotsford (EDIT: more accurately, once Hamonic had cleared waivers), Benning said everyone on the Canucks NHL roster was vaccinated.

Yes totally accurate.

Sounds like a political move though.  By definition absolutely correct but in spirit I doubt Hamonic was signed as AHL depth.