The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Jack Rathbone

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

54 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Yes totally accurate.

Sounds like a political move though.  By definition absolutely correct but in spirit I doubt Hamonic was signed as AHL depth.

Yeah, not exactly “honest” from Benning, just that he never really got caught in a lie.

Well, other than the initial PR bungling (when he said Hamonic would be at camp and the team would be fully vaxxed).

After that, you kind of have to admire the team PR effort. They had an anti-vax player, and they managed to spin it into a “personal matter” that was seen as unsavoury and inappropriate for fans or media to even talk about.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Would he be a risk of being claimed ? I doubt it

Anyway Rathbone shouldn't have been sent down anyway, the way Schenn was playing defense. I'd rather see Rathbone making those mistakes than Schenn.

you don't think anyone would claim hamonic given the opportunity?

Hope he's learned some things in the AHL to shore up his game in his end.  With both Hamonic (sent down) and Schenn (IR) out, it's likely him and Burroughs on the 3rd pair.
It doesn't exactly scream shutdown duo, but hope they at least are low-event and don't end up costing the team with defensive lapses.

5 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Would he be a risk of being claimed ? I doubt it

Anyway Rathbone shouldn't have been sent down anyway, the way Schenn was playing defense. I'd rather see Rathbone making those mistakes than Schenn.

Not me.

If Rathbone can keep up, play hard & only make occasional mistakes?  He has the skill and speed to be a contributor.

But he's coughing up unforced errors. When he has been able to skate in to a good position.  Guessing, he is probably more gassed than he looks.  And he needs time to be in NHL shape.  Which playing 25 minutes a night in Abbotsford will be achieved faster than 10 or 12 here.   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Not me.

If Rathbone can keep up, play hard & only make occasional mistakes?  He has the skill and speed to be a contributor.

But he's coughing up unforced errors. When he has been able to skate in to a good position.  Guessing, he is probably more gassed than he looks.  And he needs time to be in NHL shape.  Which playing 25 minutes a night in Abbotsford will be achieved faster than 10 or 12 here.   

He made one error that caused a goal and he was benched for it. The next game he played , he looked fine. It's not about if he can keep up with the play. It's about if he can keep up any worse than Schenn. 

How long has he played AHL level hockey ? Just not sure how much there is to learn about the NHL in the AHL 

Edited by MaxVerstappen33

38 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Hope he's learned some things in the AHL to shore up his game in his end.  With both Hamonic (sent down) and Schenn (IR) out, it's likely him and Burroughs on the 3rd pair.
It doesn't exactly scream shutdown duo, but hope they at least are low-event and don't end up costing the team with defensive lapses.

I thought OEL-Myers was our shutdown duo

JR-Burr would be more of a "give the top 4 a rest" duo, I reckon

17 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I thought OEL-Myers was our shutdown duo

JR-Burr would be more of a "give the top 4 a rest" duo, I reckon

Yeah the primary shutdown duo is OEL - Myers.  What I meant with "it doesn't exactly scream shutdown duo" is to reflect the possibility that they might end up costing us if they aren't solid in our end.

7 hours ago, 'NucK™ said:

:huh: What happened re. the Canucks' statement made at the start of the year that no non-fully vaccinated players/staff would be with the team?  

the defensive coaching was so bad they had to change the player personel

Classic Canuck smoke and Mirrors

• Cheers 1