The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Jack Rathbone

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

So help me out here...

Do you have to be vaccinated to go to Roger's Arena to watch a game?

Jim Benning lied as all the players aren't vaccinated?

I am so confused.

I think the light just went on for you

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

We are a better club with Bone and Burr as our 5/6 than with Hamonic (the antivaxxer) and Schenn.  

Follow the bouncing ball Alf.  Hamonic has had his first shot before he joined the Canucks.  2 weeks after he gets his 2nd shot, he'll be able to travel to the US.  

I-Mac has referred to a mid-November road trip that he will be unable to take.  That is the upcoming trip.  The trip to Pittsburgh etc for the game on Nov 24 is at month end so presumably, he'll be good to go on that.  He misses 3 games.  I am inferring here so it's possible that I'm wrong

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Would he be a risk of being claimed ? I doubt it

Anyway Rathbone shouldn't have been sent down anyway, the way Schenn was playing defense. I'd rather see Rathbone making those mistakes than Schenn.

Hamonic would get claimed, the only reason passed the first time was due to his pesonal situation and teams had to be cap compliant. 

Teams have had  injuries and he's a legit #4-5.

Rathbone being sent down was the right move at the time but once Hamonic is in the lineup to stay and can be a reliable safety net for Jack I hope he stays up this time and plays with Hamonic.

He wasn't good enough just yet to be the guy on his pairing with guys like Schenn or Burroughs but next to Hamonic I think he would be fine.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

We are a better club with Bone and Burr as our 5/6 than with Hamonic (the antivaxxer) and Schenn.  

Gotta disagree my friend. Hamonic is a legit top 4 and he's not unvaccinated.

I don't think ever was anti-vacc, I think he was worried that by getting the shot which I believe is like the flu shot where your given the actual virus in a small dose he could potentially infect his daughter? Regardless he's going to be fully vacxxed soon.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Hamonic would get claimed, the only reason passed the first time was due to his pesonal situation and teams had to be cap compliant. 

Rathbone being sent down was the right move at the time but once Hamonic is in the lineup to stay and can be a reliable safety net for Jack I hope he stays up this time and plays with Hamonic.

He wasn't good enough just yet to be the guy on his pairing with guys like Schenn or Burroughs but next to Hamonic I think he would be fine.

Personally, I'm okay waiting another year before throwing Rathbone into the fire.

1.) Rathbone being sent down was, and still is the right move. IMO he should still be in Abbotsford, or did he learn all that there is to know about playing defense at the NHL level in just a few games in the AHL? To my mind, the team should acquire a veteran LD (on a short contract) and let Rathbone learn in the AHL with a lot more TOI.

2.) Hamonic being back says to me that he should be paired in the top-4, not getting bottom-6 minutes being a nurse maid to a rookie. 

regards,  G.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

At this point, burrroughs is a better damn.  There's no need to rush JR

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

With Hamonic not on the trip and Schenn injured, they are an experienced PK D short. 

Burroughs has only played 14 NHL games so his PK experience at this level is limited - just over 10 minutes total. 

Edited by mll

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Sorry bud, but disagree...

Once Rathbone gets a few more Miles under the bonnet, and hopefully improves defensively, then maybe so, but he was chasing shadows at his last stint... and defo not strong enough on the backend. 
Carrying one lightweight on the backend, is surely enough (QH has improved his D play a lot). 

1 hour ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Doubt he would be.  He has that extra year on his contract and if players are expected back from injury it’s a cap issue.  Not sure teams still see him as a top-4 D.  Craig Button doesn’t.  He was signed at 3M to be partner to Hughes.  Other teams might not see him as high in their lineup.  

He’s made it also very clear that he only wants to play in N-W Canada so a team outside of that region might be more likely to pass.  Teams are aware that he made that request for personal reasons.   Winnipeg is doing well and have no cap space.  Idem for Calgary and Edmonton. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

your half right Alf, Hamonic is better than JR and Burroughs put together, and he's just getting up to speed. side note, vaxing or not is everyone's personal choice and has zero to do with hockey. 

Plus I had a friend lose his voice from getting vaxxed and he still doesn't have it back and that was over 8 months ago. So for some if they choose not to take it as much as we may not agree with it is still theirs to make, especially if there's a set of circumstances around that we don't know about. If it's just for some other reason that then I think that's just plain selfish. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

It was a lie. But don't worry,trust the process.

I don’t think it was a lie. Benning stated at the beginning of the season he expected all players to be vaxxed and ready. I don’t think Hamonic told him of his vaccine hesitation or maybe led the team to believe he was or he was going to. That’s why it’s been so hush hush on Hamonic within the organization. Can you imagine the firestorm in a province that is now 86% fully vaccinated and 90% with 1 dose where a player wasn’t forthcoming about their vaxx status?

Look no further then Aaron Rodgers for what would have happened. It would be a disaster.

JB likely found out shortly after making that statement and realized that a media uproar would make it even harder to get Hamonic to say yes to the vaccine. He probably worked through Hamonic hesitations along with the team medical doctors in private knowing that was more likely to succeed. In the end his gambit worked. The only thing we lost in the end was a player for 10-15 games of the season. There was a lot worse consequences possible from this situation.

I’m just happy he made the right decision to protect himself, others and to be a part of our team in the end even if it was/is delayed.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

12 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I don’t think it was a lie. Benning stated at the beginning of the season he expected all players to be vaxxed and ready. I don’t think Hamonic told him of his vaccine hesitation or maybe led the team to believe he was or he was going to. That’s why it’s been so hush hush on Hamonic within the organization. Can you imagine the firestorm in a province that is now 86% fully vaccinated and 90% with 1 dose where a player wasn’t forthcoming about their vaxx status?

Look no further then Aaron Rodgers for what would have happened. It would be a disaster.

JB likely found out shortly after making that statement and realized that a media uproar would make it even harder to get Hamonic to say yes to the vaccine. He probably worked through Hamonic hesitations along with the team medical doctors in private knowing that was more likely to succeed. In the end his gambit worked. The only thing we lost in the end was a player for 10-15 games of the season. There was a lot worse consequences possible from this situation.

I’m just happy he made the right decision to protect himself, others and to be a part of our team in the end even if it was/is delayed.

Or Benning knew, which is far more likely, and purposely misled the public with his 100% vaccinated statement. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

After last season, if Benning didn't know he's not doing his job.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

6 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Or Benning knew, which is far more likely, and purposely misled the public with his 100% vaccinated statement. 

how do you know it's far more likely? JB became a mind reader or something? Seriously though, how do you think he had or could have any idea about it? Maybe Ham first said he would then changed his mind for all we know, all this is, is speculation either way at best. 

Speculation or opinion not based on any fact is the media's best game to date and only fools believe everything they say. 

Let's leave that with them, their professionals at it.

Here's the happy side of this story:

We should have known Travis couldn't travel to the US on this trip (avoiding angst).

We have a young talent like Jack to call up and take on the trip.

Injuries happen throughout the season and we need many more defensemen than the roster 6 or 7.

Injuries tend to compound, and the players do not have time to heal in the playoffs.

JB & Co have done a great job of adding depth on D in the NHL and the AHL and we will need all of them to Win The Cup!

(i.e. Enough winging!)

Go Jack Go!!

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

how do you know it's far more likely? JB became a mind reader or something? Seriously though, how do you think he had or could have any idea about it? Maybe Ham first said he would then changed his mind for all we know, all this is, is speculation either way at best. 

Speculation or opinion not based on any fact is the media's best game to date and only fools believe everything they say. 

Let's leave that with them, their professionals at it.

You don’t think Benning knew Hamonic was not vaccinated and didn’t want to get vaccinated as the reason he didn’t show up? At absolute worst Benning should have had the assurance of vaccination when he signed him which he clearly didn’t.

Come on. I get it that Benning comes across as some likeable doofus who would never lie but he is still a GM who would have demanded full details up front from a guy he just signed for a big contract as to why he wasn’t showing up.

How is the media at fault for reporting the truth? Benning is the one who - once again - made a statement of fact publicly and was either purposely lying all along or caved in on his stated principle to make an exception for Hamonic. 

Hamonic should have been nowhere near the team until he was fully vaccinated. But the Canucks were sucking thanks to keeping terrible coaches so Benning sacrificed on his promise because he was panicking and they needed Hamonic. 

Like with the Hawks situation, winning took priority over doing what was right for the safety of his team. 

NHL players signed to contracts are basically owned by the team. It’s not fair but it is reality. If Hamonic lied to Benning in any way it would have been grounds to terminate his contract.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

38 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

You don’t think Benning knew Hamonic was not vaccinated and didn’t want to get vaccinated as the reason he didn’t show up? At absolute worst Benning should have had the assurance of vaccination when he signed him which he clearly didn’t.

Come on. I get it that Benning comes across as some likeable doofus who would never lie but he is still a GM who would have demanded full details up front from a guy he just signed for a big contract as to why he wasn’t showing up.

How is the media at fault for reporting the truth? Benning is the one who - once again - made a statement of fact publicly and was either purposely lying all along or caved in on his stated principle to make an exception for Hamonic. 

Hamonic should have been nowhere near the team until he was fully vaccinated. But the Canucks were sucking thanks to keeping terrible coaches so Benning sacrificed on his promise because he was panicking and they needed Hamonic. 

Like with the Hawks situation, winning took priority over doing what was right for the safety of his team. 

NHL players signed to contracts are basically owned by the team. It’s not fair but it is reality. If Hamonic lied to Benning in any way it would have been grounds to terminate his contract.

And here we go again: the defender of the media.

Sometimes "reporting the truth" is a responsibility that the media doesn't know how to properly handle. Every person has a right to medical privacy, and I fully understand that sometimes names get leaked...

Like Hughes on IV.

Remember that story? :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, and Hamonic here again.

Are you kidding me here about the Hawks and Canucks 'winning' comparison? LOL. I dislike Green (and to an extent Benning) for what they have done thus far to prepare the team at this point. I completely agree that coaching is still an issue, and that Benning had ALL the options in the world to move forward with a more experienced coach. That being said, to describe Benning as someone who jeopardizes team safety SIMILAR to the hawks is headshake worthy.

Defending the media like you're doing is why people have been calling you out for your bias. It's disgusting really that you coddle your media friends so much that you're willing to make up garbage like the above.

Make no mistake, I believe we have some similarities in how we feel about the team. I just heavily disagree your persistent approach in demonizing others while protecting the media from criticism. From how I see it, Benning deserves criticism for how this team was constructed, from start to finish. Sometimes it wasn't entirely his fault. But to say the media is "reporting the truth" is dishonest commentary. The media is here to make money, and stories sell. You even pointed this out yourself.

13 hours ago, mll said:

With Hamonic not on the trip and Schenn injured, they are an experienced PK D short. 

Burroughs has only played 14 NHL games so his PK experience at this level is limited - just over 10 minutes total. 

is it just me or are all of our PK goals against coming with Miller and Bailey on the ice?