The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Jack Rathbone

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

And here we go again: the defender of the media.

Sometimes "reporting the truth" is a responsibility that the media doesn't know how to properly handle. Every person has a right to medical privacy, and I fully understand that sometimes names get leaked...

Like Hughes on IV.

Remember that story? :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, and Hamonic here again.

Are you kidding me here about the Hawks and Canucks 'winning' comparison? LOL. I dislike Green (and to an extent Benning) for what they have done thus far to prepare the team at this point. I completely agree that coaching is still an issue, and that Benning had ALL the options in the world to move forward with a more experienced coach. That being said, to describe Benning as someone who jeopardizes team safety SIMILAR to the hawks is headshake worthy.

Defending the media like you're doing is why people have been calling you out for your bias. It's disgusting really that you coddle your media friends so much that you're willing to make up garbage like the above.

Make no mistake, I believe we have some similarities in how we feel about the team. I just heavily disagree your persistent approach in demonizing others while protecting the media from criticism. From how I see it, Benning deserves criticism for how this team was constructed, from start to finish. Sometimes it wasn't entirely his fault. But to say the media is "reporting the truth" is dishonest commentary. The media is here to make money, and stories sell. You even pointed this out yourself.

What exactly does the media have to do with Hamonic not being vaccinated and Benning making the assurance that anyone associated with the team would be?

The media reported nothing inflammatory about Hamonic or Benning as far as I have seen. They actually didn’t report much at all really. Until Benning and Hamonic came forward with what the story was. Reporting that info and calling out the obvious discrepancies in what Benning promised vs what he actually did in terms of requiring players to be 100% vaccinated isn’t the media making anything up. They are just reporting the truth there. 

I didn’t compare the situations between the Hawks and the Canucks. I compared the mentality of management that winning is justification to cut corners and mislead.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, iceman64 said:

how do you know it's far more likely? JB became a mind reader or something? Seriously though, how do you think he had or could have any idea about it? Maybe Ham first said he would then changed his mind for all we know, all this is, is speculation either way at best. 

Speculation or opinion not based on any fact is the media's best game to date and only fools believe everything they say. 

Let's leave that with them, their professionals at it.

I think he (Jimmy) would demand vaccine cards like every other major employer.

Based on the interrupted season last year it's in his best interest. That's how I think he would have an idea about it.

Jim would also understand the logistical requirements around vaccines/borders and therefore demand records. Pretty basic stuff.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, iceman64 said:

your half right Alf, Hamonic is better than JR and Burroughs put together, and he's just getting up to speed. side note, vaxing or not is everyone's personal choice and has zero to do with hockey. 

Plus I had a friend lose his voice from getting vaxxed and he still doesn't have it back and that was over 8 months ago. So for some if they choose not to take it as much as we may not agree with it is still theirs to make, especially if there's a set of circumstances around that we don't know about. If it's just for some other reason that then I think that's just plain selfish. 

Do we really have to continue flogging the vaxx issue?  It is a moot argument because Hamonic has had the jab.

The Canucks have rules wrt vaccinations.  Everybody with the club from top to bottom must be vaccinated.  There are practical reasons like international travel as well as health reasons.  We know that the Canucks had maybe the worst bout with Covid of any NHL team last season.  But that's the Canucks choice.

Hamonic couldn't be with the team until he had the jab.  He agreed and got his first shot, then he joined the team.  He still could not travel the the US until 2 weeks after he had his 2nd shot.  This is why he's missing this 3 game road trip.  I-Mac said this much in his tweet from November 1.  He did not say anything about missing further road trips so I assume this means that Hamonic will be in Pittsburgh on Nov 24.  He misses 3 games total.

Rathbone has been called up for these 3 games and I expect that he'll be back in Abbotsford at the end of the trip.  Hamonic is in Abby because he needs to play and continue to progress to mid season form.

So ya, getting the vaccination is, and should be a personal choice.  But at the same time, many organizations are demanding that their employees are vaccinated which is also their right and the Canucks have good reasons for this.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

And here we go again: the defender of the media.

Sometimes "reporting the truth" is a responsibility that the media doesn't know how to properly handle. Every person has a right to medical privacy, and I fully understand that sometimes names get leaked...

Like Hughes on IV.

Remember that story? :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, and Hamonic here again.

Are you kidding me here about the Hawks and Canucks 'winning' comparison? LOL. I dislike Green (and to an extent Benning) for what they have done thus far to prepare the team at this point. I completely agree that coaching is still an issue, and that Benning had ALL the options in the world to move forward with a more experienced coach. That being said, to describe Benning as someone who jeopardizes team safety SIMILAR to the hawks is headshake worthy.

Defending the media like you're doing is why people have been calling you out for your bias. It's disgusting really that you coddle your media friends so much that you're willing to make up garbage like the above.

Make no mistake, I believe we have some similarities in how we feel about the team. I just heavily disagree your persistent approach in demonizing others while protecting the media from criticism. From how I see it, Benning deserves criticism for how this team was constructed, from start to finish. Sometimes it wasn't entirely his fault. But to say the media is "reporting the truth" is dishonest commentary. The media is here to make money, and stories sell. You even pointed this out yourself.

You really seem hell bent on your media is all "fake news" theory.

Sports journalism is more loose than news journalism. Maybe because its not deemed as serious as subject? I don't know. But there is even more room for speculation (I guess not with everyone).  Which is almost predictable, as these teams are private businesses.  News journalists report on public administrations.

If a sports team shields the truth they know they will not have to pay as steep a price as a publicly elected figure trying the same thing. Which may be why there is more of a tendency for sports reporters to speculate more...because they don't get fed a lot of info from the team itself.  And yeah, part of that speculation is for entertainment and the ad money, and salary they receive for it. Because we listen to it. That's one of the least effective arguments IMO...that the media companies want to make money (!!!). Frankly, I'd not listen to sports talk radio if it was just someone dryly reading daily scores, and stats.  Where they are not allowed to think out loud about motives of players or GMs. They'd literally lose money if they went that way.

But there are also times when its simply reporting on time lines and statements and actual reality enfolding before us.

WSA:  How is the media at fault for reporting the truth? Benning is the one who - once again - made a statement of fact publicly and was either purposely lying all along or caved in on his stated principle to make an exception for Hamonic.

Its pretty depressing to believe that all sports media, all aspects of that, all companies,... are liars, and to go further and say its "dishonest commentary" to even suggest they do report the truth.  I don't know if I could live in such a paranoid world. WSA asked you that question. Its a simple question.  But you spend your whole post with out-of-context cherrypicking and conspiracy theories. 

We live in a country with a free press and freedom of expression. Which is a headache and a blessing. Look at THIS place sometimes. But you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.  We seem to live in a new world where if you don't like a story you read no matter how seemingly factual, like comparing Benning's statements from the actual reality going on we all can see....one can just dismiss it as fake news.

I get it, its tough these days to separate truth from speculation. Or the original facts, with the inevitable conjecture. But that's what we all gotta do, and hopefully do it objectively.  To go extreme one way or the other doesn't get you anywhere.

Just to add.  I'm over Hamonic's situation.  I don't really care if Jim lied. Or to put it nicer, he misdirected, or even misspoke.  GMs lie all the time if it means it will help their team. That's part of his job. An honest GM is probably a bad GM.

With the rest of the news media, there are other companies, and competition, that will call them out if they do lie.  The Canucks are a private company and the only NHL team in Vancouver.  They can get away with hiding the truth better.  So its almost a given that sports reporters will be more aggressive. Have we ever really found out for sure everything surrounding Bure's time here, and the Russian mafia connections?  Jeff Brown's shenagigans,  on and on right up to recently..How much did Gaudette and wife's resistance to COVID health mandates and their alternative health views have to do with infecting the team last year, and his quick departure?...What was the full story behind Schmitt demanding a trade after only one season?

Because there is no public right to know these things.....there is created a demand for speculation surrounding them. A market is ready made for that.  You seem to be arguing against basic human nature.  That's just attacking windmills.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, kilgore said:

Sports journalism is more loose than news journalism. Maybe because its not deemed as serious as subject? I don't know. But there is even more room for speculation (I guess not with everyone).  Which is almost predictable, as these teams are private businesses.  News journalists report on public administrations.

If a sports team shields the truth they know they will not have to pay as steep a price as a publicly elected figure trying the same thing. Which may be why there is more of a tendency for sports reporters to speculate more...because they don't get fed a lot of info from the team itself.  And yeah, part of that speculation is for entertainment and the ad money, and salary they receive for it. Because we listen to it. That's one of the least effective arguments IMO...that the media companies want to make money (!!!). Frankly, I'd not listen to sports talk radio if it was just someone dryly reading daily scores, and stats.  Where they are not allowed to think out loud about motives of players or GMs. They'd literally lose money if they went that way.

But there are also times when its simply reporting on time lines and statements and actual reality enfolding before us.

WSA:  How is the media at fault for reporting the truth? Benning is the one who - once again - made a statement of fact publicly and was either purposely lying all along or caved in on his stated principle to make an exception for Hamonic.

Its pretty depressing to believe that all sports media, all aspects of that, all companies,... are liars, and to go further and say its "dishonest commentary" to even suggest they do report the truth.  I don't know if I could live in such a paranoid world. WSA asked you that question. Its a simple question.  But you spend your whole post with out-of-context cherrypicking and conspiracy theories. 

We live in a country with a free press and freedom of expression. Which is a headache and a blessing. Look at THIS place sometimes. But you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.  We seem to live in a new world where if you don't like a story you read no matter how seemingly factual, like comparing Benning's statements from the actual reality going on we all can see....one can just dismiss it as fake news.

I get it, its tough these days to separate truth from speculation. Or the original facts, with the inevitable conjecture. But that's what we all gotta do, and hopefully do it objectively.  To go extreme one way or the other doesn't get you anywhere.

Just to add.  I'm over Hamonic's situation.  I don't really care if Jim lied. Or to put it nicer, he misdirected, or even misspoke.  GMs lie all the time if it means it will help their team. That's part of his job. An honest GM is probably a bad GM.

With the rest of the news media, there are other companies, and competition, that will call them out if they do lie.  The Canucks are a private company and the only NHL team in Vancouver.  They can get away with hiding the truth better.  So its almost a given that sports reporters will be more aggressive. Have we ever really found out for sure everything surrounding Bure's time here, and the Russian mafia connections?  Jeff Brown's shenagigans,  on and on right up to recently..How much did Gaudette and wife's resistance to COVID health mandates and their alternative health views have to do with infecting the team last year, and his quick departure?...What was the full story behind Schmitt demanding a trade after only one season?

Because there is no public right to know these things.....there is created a demand for speculation surrounding them. A market is ready made for that.  You seem to be arguing against basic human nature.  That's just attacking windmills.

You're right.  A lot of what goes on behind closed doors is not leaked to the media in sports or business or politics for that matter.  However, there is news reporting which deals in facts and there is editorial reporting which is based in fact of course, but a lot of it is opinion, educated guesses and conjecture.  We must try to keep these 2 approaches in mind when consuming the media because often times, editorializing turns out to be flat out wrong.  Other times it is pretty close to the truth.

I think that the majority of sports media are not trained journalists these days and are not having to pass their stories past an editorial desk like they used to.  Editors would not pass a story that was too much speculation because the reputation of the news paper was at stake.  Media types are leaving newspapers and are entering the realm of the internet where there are no rules.  Much of modern media is click bait and many celebrity bloggers know little more than fans on CDC.  

It's a lot to generalize about and most of us have some members of the media that we trust and like and others that we prefer to ignore.  There have been big changes in the last 5-10 years.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, kilgore said:

I don't think you realize but your post confirms what I've been saying all along - that the sports media is operating at a lower standard than everyone, thus they tend to get away with the tabloid practices as seen in other celebrity gossip magazines.

If sports media have a lower standard of reporting, as you say, then it's time for them to increase the accountability.

That has been my point all along, so thank you for confirming that. Much appreciated. I'd like to see wallsteetamigo continue to squirm his way out of this one.