The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is Green "well respected" around the league?

Rate this topic

eeeeergh

Maybe he's just a nice guy around other coaches and the media (to some extent), but he's just bad at his job. Nobody seems to really care that he's bad at his job, except the fans. The other coaches don't really care  - easy points and a nice demeanor.

I think it should be noted that the players likely voted to keep Green onboard this season, or else he would've been gone. Then again, I could be wrong.

Anyway, @eeeeergh - This is a valid question. Well done.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Maybe he's just a nice guy around other coaches and the media (to some extent), but he's just bad at his job. Nobody seems to really care that he's bad at his job, except the fans. The other coaches don't really care  - easy points and a nice demeanor.

I think it should be noted that the players likely voted to keep Green onboard this season, or else he would've been gone. Then again, I could be wrong.

Anyway, @eeeeergh - This is a valid question.

Yeah my mind is blown b/c ive never worked at a place where someone underperforming that drastically for that long has remained employed. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

34 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

It feels like every article I read, Travis Green is noted as "well respected" around the league as a coach.

I just looked up his 4 year AHL record - 2/4 years his team missed the playoffs, 1/4 year his team lost in round 1, and 1/4 year they lost in the finals. In 4 NHL seasons, 3/4 seasons his team missed the playoffs, and 1/4 year they lost in round 3. 

Thats 5/8 seasons he coached, his team missed the playoffs. 

Here's a quick comparison to Bruce Boudreau:

8/8 AHL seasons, his team made the playoffs
10/12 NHL seasons, his team made the playoffs

Thats 2/20 seasons, his team missed the playoffs. 

How tf does Boudreau not have a job, while Green got a 2 year extension?????

Well ask Benning. He also didnt sign Tanev or Toffoli to 4 mil per year contracts yet re-signed pearson close to 4 mil and gave poolman a hefty contract. He loves mediocrity I guess.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

I've never seen an article where it says Green is well respected, may be it's just an illusion lol. 

I've seen players say he is a good coach and whoever plays hard get minutes. Except... Garland then gets his minutes cut after playing red hot the first 7-8 games and Pettersson still getting 20 minutes a game while playing like a dud. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

I've never seen an article where it says Green is well respected, may be it's just an illusion lol. 

I've seen players say he is a good coach and whoever plays hard get minutes. Except... Garland then gets his minutes cut after playing red hot the first 7-8 games and Pettersson still getting 20 minutes a game while playing like a dud. 

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-travis-green-new-contract
"well regarded around the nhl"

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/five-nhl-coaches-on-the-hotseat-and-five-ready-for-work
"Green is well respected around the league"

There are a few others I remember reading too, and when the coaching discussions were happening before his contract was given, all the hockey pundits were praising Green on tv. 

I do feel like nobody wants to criticize a coach for being bad. Much easier to criticize players. Even when the track record speaks for itself.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Well ask Benning. He also didnt sign Tanev or Toffoli to 4 mil per year contracts yet re-signed pearson close to 4 mil and gave poolman a hefty contract. He loves mediocrity I guess.

Pearson's not doing well so far, but few are with the way the coaching has been handled. Pearson's contract is not really overpaid. And Poolman's 2.5? Lol... he's better/more reliable than Jordie Benn was.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, eeeeergh said:

It feels like every article I read, Travis Green is noted as "well respected" around the league as a coach.

I just looked up his 4 year AHL record - 2/4 years his team missed the playoffs, 1/4 year his team lost in round 1, and 1/4 year they lost in the finals. In 4 NHL seasons, 3/4 seasons his team missed the playoffs, and 1/4 year they lost in round 3. 

Remember how we made fun of the Oilers for buying into the Toronto media AHL hype for Dallas Eakins?

Green is pretty much our version of that.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Remember how we made fun of the Oilers for buying into the Toronto media AHL hype for Dallas Eakins?

Green is pretty much our version of that.

The funny thing about that, Eakins has done a pretty nice job turning things around in Anaheim so far. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

The feeling many observers seem to convey is that Green has done well with the little he has to work with.

Till now the criticism from observers has been directed towards Benning - maybe that changes with the core also struggling.  They don't seem to think much of the roster construction.  The young core has impressed - Hughes, Pettersson, Boeser etc with Green getting his share of the praise for their impact.  

Benning's signings in free agency have been mostly harshly criticised though and several of his trades haven't impressed either.

Sportsnet gave Vancouver the only fail grade of the Canadian teams in free agency this summer with a D+.

Most projections had Vancouver outside of a playoff spot.  Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes were ranked highly in those projections but many of the players surrounding them weren't.   That the young players are now struggling might change perception.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

all coaches are respected around the league

name a coach wo is not respected around the league

its a hockeyism and has no more meaning than giving 110%

and the room has a good bunch of guys

I bet you've never heard of a room that didn't have a good bunch of guys either

2 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Why sign 44 point TT when you can get 4 point Jake "The Ripper" for a million bucks less.  Doesn't make any sense (in Uncle Jim's mind).

3 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Just a friendly suggestion....next time skip the niceties after a 7-1 humiliation.  Tonight this topic should have been "Why is Green around the league?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

And without Marky he wouldn’t have reached finals in AHL and playoffs in NHL.

Now Demko does the same thing. 

• Cheers 1