The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Hypothetical] Who should replace Travis Green?

Rate this topic

Ilya Mikheyev

Who should replace Green as coach?  

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

Petey is too sensitive.  Maybe if we trade him out but I don’t see that as a good idea.

How many cups did Babcock win with Detroit? How about the dominant performance by Team Canada under him.

He had some issues in past, but you can't question his success. He has proven in past that he can get the most out of talented players.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

How many cups did Babcock win with Detroit? How about the dominant performance by Team Canada under him.

He had some issues in past, but you can't question his success. He has proven in past that he can get the most out of talented players.

I actually like the idea of Babs - it’s time for someone with a track record - but I’m not sure our core can handle him. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I'd go with Julien here.

He has experience with young players and his teams play a style whereby they can stick up for themselves. 

Whoever it is, I do not want another rookie NHL coach, this team needs experience and someone able to change his game plan on the fly and not be consistently outcoached.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Slegr said:

How is he not fired yet? My concern is that ownership is too cheap to let him go. Everyone is calling for his head, yet he remains. Like some cancerous lump. 

This right here… Ownership will never pay for an experienced coach… (a good one anyway). Just keep recycling ahl and assistant coaches

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I actually like the idea of Babs - it’s time for someone with a track record - but I’m not sure our core can handle him. 

Babcock may have mellowed some after his firing from Laughs...

Anyone but Julien... He's an arse hole...

Also think Sedins will say good bye again if Julien comes in...

• Cheers 1

I have 2 theories right now for the issue.

#1, Green has lost the room and they have tuned him out. The players need to call a players only meeting and decide if they want to really compete this year as listening to the coach is on them. I actually think Green is a good coach, but all coaches, no matter how good, have a best before date with teams and eventually need to be replaced.

#2, That we have more than Sutter who is dealing with Long-Term Covid issues as it has been shown to affect up to 50% of the people who have Covid, to varying degrees. At least 21 players on the team had it, and although we changed a LOT of guys on the team, we still have a number of core guys who at times, look like they are dealing with issues around alertness on the ice. Just a theory, but there is evidence to support it based on sheer numbers of people who wind up with long term symptoms.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, ABNucksfan said:

This right here… Ownership will never pay for an experienced coach… (a good one anyway). Just keep recycling ahl and assistant coaches

Aquilini has invested a ton into the team.  He bought our AHL affiliate, signs plenty of vets to play there on one way deals, and spent to the cap during a rebuild.  He is the best owner we have ever had and those wanting him to sell the team should be very careful what they wish for.

• Cheers 4

59 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

1 cup in Detroit. :lol: He’s still getting paid  8 million/year by Toronto. I don’t think he’s giving that up or that the Canucks would match that. 
 Also I do believe since his rights belong to Toronto, we’d have to compensate them with draft picks.

I thought they scrapped compensating teams with draft picks for hiring previous coaches shortly after we scored the 2nd for Torts ( which we later flushed down the $&!#ter but hey) 

I'd like to see what a experience coach can do for sure. Someone with a proven record of running a team with strong special teams as well and at least competent team defense. The core needs to learn some new lessons about how to be successful and i think we have tried and failed with a couple of respected rookie / AHL coaches.  

5 minutes ago, Bure_of_94 said:

I’ve heard some great names with experience. Nolan, Stevens, Boudreau. 
My only concern is that ownership will pick another bargain bin coach. I’ve heard lots of speculation that they’re too cheap to hire a good coach. 

You've heard eh?

I'm no Aquilini fan, but if there is one thing these guys aren't, that would be cheap.

These guys spare no expense when it comes to this team, and for that the fans should be grateful.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, Bure_of_94 said:

1 cup in Detroit. :lol: He’s still getting paid  8 million/year by Toronto. I don’t think he’s giving that up or that the Canucks would match that. 
 Also I do believe since his rights belong to Toronto, we’d have to compensate them with draft picks.

Pretty sure they did away with this tbh, I think Columbus hiring Torts was the last team to pay compensation 

Edit: They did

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-to-end-coach-and-executive-compensation-policy/c-791590

Edited by Coconuts