The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Hypothetical] Who should replace Travis Green?

Rate this topic

Ilya Mikheyev

Who should replace Green as coach?  

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, rekker said:

Most wins Green gets are in spite of him, yes. But mostly Greens wins have come on the backs of superb, outstanding, goaltending. 

Yea like that’s not a sign of a strong team.

I really can’t remember the last time this team won a game convincingly where the goalie didn’t have to do much.

When we win games it’s because guys like Demko or Markstrom held us in there as the other team dominated until we started playing halfway through the game.

Its either that or we start out strong and then sit back on a lead the rest of the game as our goalie stands on their head. There’s no middle ground with this coach. His teams don’t play a full 60 minutes like ever.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yea like that’s not a sign of a strong team.

I really can’t remember the last time this team won a game convincingly where the goalie didn’t have to do much.

When we win games it’s because guys like Demko or Markstrom held us in there as the other team dominated until we started playing halfway through the game.

Its either that or we start out strong and then sit back on a lead the rest of the game as our goalie stands on their head. There’s no middle ground with this coach. His teams don’t play a full 60 minutes like ever.

100 percent. I've lost count how many times this team comes out and it looks like the pregame, white board prep got mixed up with a different opponent. They seem to never be ready. And add to that, Green probably struggles to adjust the mirrors in his car, let alone a game. 

Reading up on Sam Hallam out of Vaxjo in the Swedish league.

He would be an interesting choice if they decide to go with a cheap rookie again. Seems like a young new age coach that relies a lot on analytics. Has won several SHL titles now and helped develop Pettersson.

Seems very open to constantly adapting and changing things if they’re not working. Deploying a style of play that is entertaining and that the players like to play.

Gotta say if it’s a choice between another AHL rookie coach or some old dinosaur coach, I’d lean towards someone like Hallam or even Larionov.

Edited by DeNiro

6 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think what's most likely is that Shaw takes over in the interim, and assuming Shaw doesn't magically turn the team into a playoff team, Benning and Weis are axed in the offseason, and whoever the new GM is hires the next coach. 50/50 on whether Shaw is retained if Green is fired and we still miss. Depends on if the team shows marginal improvement after Green is gone.

I agree that an interim coach is highly likely.

Owners won't want an expensive hire if Benning stands to be on the chopping block at the end of the season.

New GMs want their own hires on the bench so as much as I would like an experienced guy I doubt they go the route and subsequently go ahead and clean house end of season.

1 minute ago, GB5 said:

I agree that an interim coach is highly likely.

Owners won't want an expensive hire if Benning stands to be on the chopping block at the end of the season.

New GMs want their own hires on the bench so as much as I would like an experienced guy I doubt they go the route and subsequently go ahead and clean house end of season.

Hire a GM now then and have them start the process early.

If ownership is already having the thought of replacing Benning then just get it done now.

Writing off yet another season should be a non starter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Aquilini has invested a ton into the team.  He bought our AHL affiliate, signs plenty of vets to play there on one way deals, and spent to the cap during a rebuild.  He is the best owner we have ever had and those wanting him to sell the team should be very careful what they wish for.

You think he bought the AHL team to loose money? Your definitely mistaken.

He has to spend to the cap… this fan base would not accept anything less.

He does cheap out everywhere else he can though. And that much is clear. This Team has rarely ever been in the running on a high ticket coach.

No one said anything about the owner selling the team… but maybe he should and start from the top down creating a culture of winning, rather than a culture of making money. 

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

For a dark horse/outside the box pick, I’d add Växjö’s (SHL) Sam Hallam to the list.

He’s Elias Pettersson’s old coach, and the guy who built Växjö into an SHL powerhouse, winning three championships in the last seven years, and his teams have never missed the playoffs.

He’s been linked to several previous NHL vacancies over the last few years and is often described as the next European coach expected to land an NHL gig.

Apparently, he is still interested in coming over to the NHL, if the right opportunity presents itself.  

I think it’s more likely the next coach in Vancouver isn’t a first time NHLer, but rather an experienced, “name brand” NHL head coach, but Hallam would be an intriguing pick, and quite possibly a very good one, for this team.

He’s definitely a young, up and coming coach, with a new age style and approach. Uses analytics/advanced stats and also draws on elements from other sports (from soccer to basketball) to develop strategies and systems. Fosters a positive atmosphere where creativity is encouraged, and where systems are built to be flexible to encourage individualized contributions from each player, while still functioning as a well structured and organized team.

While I like the sound of him, after two non-NHL level coaches in a row I’m personally done with trying to hire an inexperienced coach. I think we need someone who has won at the NHL level already. Aquilini has already shown over many years he’s willing to spend to get us to the playoffs so I would think adding a few mill for a new experienced coach wouldn’t be a problem. The issue is who is available and that list is pretty short atm. I agree with some of the other posters that it’s likely Shaw takes over to get a shot this year and in the offseason we go looking for a more permanent solution if necessary.

Lots of proven coaches available. Julien, Boudreau, Crawford, and Babcock. If we aren’t gonna see that replacement til next season, add Quenneville. Yeah he got fired, but a year goes by and he does the apology tour and he gets another chance.

9 minutes ago, 404error said:

Lots of proven coaches available. Julien, Boudreau, Crawford, and Babcock. If we aren’t gonna see that replacement til next season, add Quenneville. Yeah he got fired, but a year goes by and he does the apology tour and he gets another chance.

If we hire Quenneville, I will be finding a new team to support.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

We had one really bad performance.  One.  Green will get the boys to bounce back.  

How much better is multiple bad performances to a really bad performance?

Bottom line is, this team looks lost. No identity. Just dump and chase and hope Demko turns into a prime Luongo every night.

Green's results have been unacceptable and he should be gone. This all should've been handled with both Benning and Green let go in the offseason but Aquillini doesn't care enough to make real change.