The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cancel Culture Srikes Again

40 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

She took your advice and moved to Australia, now she is @Ilunga‘s problem.

Naah I don't watch sky news,on which she is a presenter

Our version Fox and owned by the same POS.

Her current husband  Adam Liaw-"celebrity" chef- commented last year

"that  it is insane and hilarious that far right poster girl Lauren Southern's ex partner was a white supremacist who refused to eat tomato sauce because it had Asian origins,and now  she's married with a child to a Asian Australian guy living in Australia". 

Stupid is as does....

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

No that wasn't the point. Since I have to simplify it for you, I'll do it one more time. 

I was talking about the general idea of cancel culture and shunning of public figures. It doesn't just end there, it also ends with these individuals being completely removed from their position of influence as well.

There are people that literally will call out others for being racist but will bleed for Trudeau. 

I'm talking about the hypocrisy. If in an alternate universe, Trudeau was a right wing politician and did those same things, he would be crucified to no end (which he should) and might've been removed as PM with the public outrage of cancel culture if it got that far.

Blackface is not a joke. It shouldn't be one of those things that you just let pass by and say "yeah, he's not perfect". Oh. Coincidence. That's what you're saying. 

What, you think Blackface is not serious enough? Is it not serious enough for you call it like it is and state that Trudeau is a racially insensitive moron?

Yet, you so easily call out Scheer and O'toole for being nasty racists. 

and fyi, I'm a neutral, neither a conservative or a liberal but lol.

So you're saying the entire conservative party are neo-nazis and the majority of Canadian voters are neo-nazi supporters.

You're not the one on glue? Good god.

I never said Trudeau should be PM still, and I'm far from a fan of his.  I'm saying that it was put to an election and the country collectively decided that the alternatives were worse.  Regardless, this isn't a Trudeau thread, and no one in their right mind thinks the world is a better place with Southern in it.

Edited by King Heffy

39 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I never said Trudeau should be PM still, and I'm far from a fan of his.  I'm saying that it was put to an election and the country collectively decided that the alternatives were worse.  Regardless, this isn't a Trudeau thread, and no one in their right mind thinks the world is a better place with Southern in it.

You're right, this isn't a Trudeau thread. This also isn't a thread on Trudeau's alternatives and who is the "rightful PM" which is the path/narrative you suggested.

You also proceeded to call the Conservative leaders neo-nazis, failing to realize that the majority of actual voters (individuals) actually picked O'toole.

You're pretty much saying the majority of Canadians are supporters of neo-nazis. lol.

This is a thread about cancel culture and my main point was about the double-standard but you assumed that my point was, in your words, "entirely" based on what alternatives to Trudeau would be a "better fit".

If you're going to assume things, I'll assume right back.

16 hours ago, VC420 said:

I thought it was going to be troll or joke forum and instead I see nothing but lizard folk this and garbage human that.

Did you think we were seriously claiming she was a lizard?

Isn't that a perfect example of a joke? you know, having fun?

I don't know anything about this girl but I see a pic of her flashing the new racist symbol while trying to set up an event to deny something that has caused so much hurt.

Making fun of her at her expense is acceptable imo.

I do have empathy for all humans but they have to work for my respect. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

22 hours ago, Quantum said:

Cancel Culture doesn't exist and boomers are the only ones who keep bringing it up as some sort of thing to be worried about.

People who get "cancelled" are just going on vacation and coming back bigger/stronger than ever. You can name countless "cancelled" celebs who seem to be thriving nowadays... just look at people like DaBaby, David Dobrik, Dave Portnoy, Dave Chappelle, Shane Gillis, etc...

Also only select celebs are getting "cancelled" and not average people. I don't get why average people are worried about this.

That said, Lauren Southern is a legit crazy person and she should not be taken seriously. She's of the Stefan Molyneaux variety of nutjob. So I'm happy to see UBC cancel this event. The fact that Southern is still allowed on twitter is shocking to me.

Who? :unsure::P

19 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I have you to thank for that earworm today.

I had happily forgotten about the Northern Pikes. 

I've got a pretty good story about the Pikes....

Back in the 80's we used to play a club in Stoon. It was what we called a "back four" in those days. (Wednesday to Saturday) I don't remember the name of the club, but it was in the Capri hotel and there was a Country bar called the North 40 downstairs.

The Northern Pikes had released an EP by that time. (I was told by someone that one of the guys had wealthy parents who bankrolled the recording) They used to play the club on occasion, but weren't allowed to stay after their set, because they were all underage. 

The club had a large foyer area at the top of the stairs and the band members of the NP used to stand there and watch whoever was playing the club. I saw them there two or three times when we were gigging there, even though they were just a bunch of wannabe kids as far as I knew at the time....:lol:

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Cheers 1

As far as the actual subject goes, I'll just say that as someone who works at a post secondary institution, hosting an event that actively promotes disinformation and racial bias (if not outright hatred) would be anathema to us.

We're a place where people come to learn and what is taught there is backed up by facts and science.

The hit to the reputation of any institute of higher learning would not be worth any sum of money that might be earned by renting space to the organizers of such an event.

• Like 1