The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

FIRE Jim Benning & Travis Green Thread

Rate this topic

Sanford

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Disagree with Benning.  If we get rid of Benning, it will be purely for a show as there's nothing that a new GM could do this year, and if anything a new GM might slow down the rate of change on our roster.  

I think that Green's job depends on our game tomorrow in Anaheim.  

You underestimate Benning's love giving away draft picks especially if he needs to save his job

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, eeeeergh said:

Sarcasm about Petey right?

The guy is on pace for like 16 goals this season while playing with our top players and on the 1st powerplay unit. He looks like he's always off balance, falls down more than anyone else every game, his face off percentage is 31%, and he's tied for the 2nd most giveaways in the whole lineup. 

7.5m for that is absolutely horrifying, and we have basically no chance of winning with our money tied up in him unless he completely changes his game. 

No, Pettersson has an attitude problem, not an overrated overpaid problem IMO. He’s purposely sucking to get the coach fired and I truly believe that. I would put money on him returning to form soon after Green is gone.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

No, Pettersson has an attitude problem, not an overrated overpaid problem IMO. He’s purposely sucking to get the coach fired and I truly believe that. I would put money on him returning to form soon after Green is gone.

Pretty bold guess considering Green's head is in the guillotine right now. I hope you're right, but I just don't think he has the physical gifts to be the type of player we need him to be. I'm open to moving him.

On a general level, yes, it's cut both Bennjng and Green loose. I've defended much of what Benning has done to this point, but at the end of the day the results speak for themselves. He's had seven years and this is what we have to show for it. And giving Green an extension was the rotten cherry on top.  I've never liked Green ever since to threatened to walk from the org if he wasn't given the Canucks head coaching job. We should have just let him walk.

Green is priority I want him gone just look at his overall coaching win percentage plus everytime I see this system I ask myself what identity is this team. I remember awhile back Bieksa said the same thing. If you take a look at the top teams there is a clear identity Canucks I still can't figure out.

It would be a plus if Benning is gone he has done a decent job drafting but wins are what matters and has failed at that although given many chances.

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Disagree with Benning.  If we get rid of Benning, it will be purely for a show as there's nothing that a new GM could do this year, and if anything a new GM might slow down the rate of change on our roster.  

You get rid of Benning now to prevent him from making desperation moves that ends up digging us into an even bigger hole. Getting rid of Benning is long overdue.

In his 8 years, he has not shown he is able to construct a quality roster without huge holes. We're looking at a roster of a team that's the product of five top 10 picks as well as trading multiple 1st and 2nd round picks. We had to ice 3 AHL defensemen tonight. Aside from Hughes, Benning has failed to develop or acquire any quality defensemen. He took a huge risk with OEL and it still remains to be seen whether it backfires, Myers has looked pretty good this year but has fallen back down to Earth in recent games. Poolman has yet to show that he's much more than a bottom pairing guy. Hamonic has barely played.

Poolman is 28, Myers, OEL and Hamonic are all on the wrong side of 30, realistically some or all of these guys will be declining in the coming years. To put this into context, when Benning took over, we had Edler who was 28, Hamhuis who was 30, and Tanev who was 24, and this was a roster that was considered "stale" and at the end of their competitive window. 

This is just one example of Benning's many faults. If anyone still thinks that Benning will be the GM to take this team to contender status, you're delusional.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Not sure this is true, but....

Have been thinking similar thoughts as well... Don't know if it would be Green or Benning he'd be angry with and why?

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, FaninMex said:

I disagree with fire Benning. This team should be much better than we are. I was on the Fire Green train last year.

Benning is the one that gets the players Green wants. That hasn’t worked out as well as it should. 
Benning isn’t only a scout. 

22 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Benning is the one that gets the players Green wants. That hasn’t worked out as well as it should. 
Benning isn’t only a scout. 

No, Benning gets the players and Green plays who he wants. 

For example, We had Gadj on the team from Benning drafting him. Benning then invited him to camp. Green then said; He is not ready, I will not play him so Benning put him on waivers and SJ said Thank you

7 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

For example, We had Gadj on the team from Benning drafting him. Benning then invited him to camp. Green then said; He is not ready, I will not play him so Benning put him on waivers and SJ said Thank you

Green and JB are both culpable for Gadj ... Green expected he'd be playing games with them this year, said it after he was waived.   They both tried to sneak him down before it was too obvious to anyone paying attention, that he was ready for the show (which it certainly was to most of us ... so no surprise when he was picked up).   Chiasson... probably a safer bet for sure but come on what about other plugs.   Ugh.   That one still bugs the crap out of me because we really don't have enough toughness in our lineup.   Actually wanted to see him on EPs wing from time to time.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FaninMex said:

I disagree with fire Benning. This team should be much better than we are. I was on the Fire Green train last year.

Should be but aren’t. He retained green.  he shouldn’t get another free pass for making a costly mistake.

he built this team that’s still to small and easy to play against. He let good prospects leave to keep small ineffective ahlers. 

he’s  done some good things but it’s very clear he’s not the guy to build a winner since he’s had 8 years to do it. 
to many excuses for the ever growing list of failures time it’s to move on.

His coach his team his neck. 

Edited by combover
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

A new gm won’t make damaging moves to hurt the future to try to save his job. And it is  to show that fans that 8 seasons of incompetence and pathetic excuses  isn’t  acceptable. 
Asking the players to be accountable but the gm can continue to flounder. 

he’s had more than enough opportunity 

times up.

no more excuses. 

1 hour ago, FaninMex said:

So you believe Benning and Green don’t talk to each other?

Why in the heck wouldn’t Benning know what players Green want? 

26 minutes ago, combover said:

Should be but aren’t. He retained green.  he shouldn’t get another free pass for making a costly mistake.

he built this team that’s still to small and easy to play against. He let good prospects leave to keep small ineffective ahlers. 

he’s  done some good things but it’s very clear he’s not the guy to build a winner since he’s had 8 years to do it. 
to many excuses for the ever growing list of failures time it’s to move on.

His coach his team his neck. 

Yeah, I have to agree.

I've always been a Benning supporter, but like you said with keeping Green on and not making this team bigger, I think it's time for a change.

Green and Benning have to go.

• Vintage 1

I imagine it will go down like this. Green is fired within the next few days or weeks, Shaw takes over in the interim, Aqua allows Benning and Weis to stay on until the end of the season but strips them of virtually all authority, similar to what we saw happen to Gillis in his last year, before firing them in the offseason.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, whysoserious said:

You get rid of Benning now to prevent him from making desperation moves that ends up digging us into an even bigger hole. Getting rid of Benning is long overdue.

In his 8 years, he has not shown he is able to construct a quality roster without huge holes. We're looking at a roster of a team that's the product of five top 10 picks as well as trading multiple 1st and 2nd round picks. We had to ice 3 AHL defensemen tonight. Aside from Hughes, Benning has failed to develop or acquire any quality defensemen. He took a huge risk with OEL and it still remains to be seen whether it backfires, Myers has looked pretty good this year but has fallen back down to Earth in recent games. Poolman has yet to show that he's much more than a bottom pairing guy. Hamonic has barely played.

Poolman is 28, Myers, OEL and Hamonic are all on the wrong side of 30, realistically some or all of these guys will be declining in the coming years. To put this into context, when Benning took over, we had Edler who was 28, Hamhuis who was 30, and Tanev who was 24, and this was a roster that was considered "stale" and at the end of their competitive window. 

This is just one example of Benning's many faults. If anyone still thinks that Benning will be the GM to take this team to contender status, you're delusional.

couldn't agree more .

17 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I imagine it will go down like this. Green is fired within the next few days or weeks, Shaw takes over in the interim, Aqua allows Benning and Weis to stay on until the end of the season but strips them of virtually all authority, similar to what we saw happen to Gillis in his last year, before firing them in the offseason.

I agree with this. The Twins will be the Shadow GMs until being announced in the off season. 

The other scenario is to bring in a guy like Boudreau to salvage the players attitudes. Focus on team development and restoring confidence in them.