The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

FIRE Jim Benning & Travis Green Thread

Rate this topic

Sanford

8 hours ago, Dale4Nucks said:

Benning has made some good drafts and acquisitions but I think its time to move on from him. And Green too. Before this season gets any worse. Pull the trigger Aquilini.

Has he though?

Every team has a few good young players. The playing field has changed, it's a young mans game more than ever.

We think he's a good drafter cause we compare him to Gillis but in today's league every team has Hughes and Petterssons.

Ottawa Detroit Buffalo all bottom teams but they have Tkachuk Stutzle Raymond Seider Dahlin etc, 

Just like how we have Petey Brock Demko Hughes etc.

He's an average drafter and poor at everything else. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

There is no real reason to keep or fire Benning. 
I don’t think the issue here lies with the players.    I think other than the 4th line and 3rd D pairing, the team actually looks pretty good.  

We could fire Benning and it might help a couple years down the road, but for now this isn’t his fault.  

We should have started the year with a new coach. NOT give him two more years. 
There is doubt he will get fired now because Aqua doesn’t want to pay a coach for 1.75 years of not working with the team. 
That’s another huge amount of money Aqua has to eat because of poor decisions. 
I doubt he does it. 
BUT, he really should.  

Fire Green

Fire Benning AND Weisbrod 

Change back to the skate Jersey. 
Pay Jerome Iginla to mentor Bo and to teach him to play with some damn emotion to lead and inspire his team. 

And FFS shoot the f’n puck on the damn power play!   

• Cheers 2

The organisation clearly needs a fresh start in a number of areas. Coaching is one of them. This team has too much high end talent to play the way that it does, and much of that is on Green.

He'll be the first to go and Benning's job depends on the performance of Green's successor.

I'm not going to go full HF and start blaming Benning for everything while giving him no credit, but he has had time and it's looked like a fresh perspective has been required for a couple of years now 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Melbourne Canuck said:

I’m not sure there’s much benefit in sacking Benning right now. Green on the other hand… 

There is a HUGE BENEFIT to canning the current GM...it gives the NEW GM the rest of the year to evaluate the players, especially leading up to the TDL. New GM can then maybe move some players out for picks or prospects...Also gives the NEW GM nearly a full year to assess his scouts, make any changes like bring in his OWN Assistant GM and have a decent game plan leading into the 2022 Draft and FA.

It would be FOOLISH to not can the GM now and to wait to the end of the year...teams are less likely to let Managerial people go to a degree but MOST IMPORTANTLY it gives the NEW GM little to no time to assess the team, get ready for the draft etc...

I 100% DISagree with what you say, BOTH should go but the first should be the GM, so he doesn't make any short sided moves...give the NEW GM time to talk to the players and assess Green on his own, can still FIRE Green soon after being hired

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Sanford said:

If this ownership group won't do anything, then I want to do something as a fan.  I want to make this thread so in the small chance that the owner or someone with any kind of power in the Canuck Ownership group can see that we have had it.

I am tired of this mediocracy, I am tired of wasting 8 years, I am tired of drinking the Benning Kool-Aid.  We are one of the worst run teams in the league.  We have one of the worse losing records in the past 8 years.  There is just no sense of urgency with this team and the culture of mediocracy is allowed to persist.  We can't even play 60 minutes every night.  

FIRE JIM BENNING

FIRE TRAVIS GREEN

Get a new management here and new coach that can bring this team back to that winning culture.  Enough is enough!

First of all we aren't mediocre. We're bad.

The problem with the fire Benning idea is twofold.

1. Benning clearly has delivered a better lineup this year but the on ice product is worse.

2. Every time I see the Canucks staff in session, I see aqua sitting there. It has seemed to me for the last few years that JB and aqua are working in tandem. Aqua firing JB will be an indictment of himself. 

Hows note Schmidt doing in the peg? How's newel browns pp doing?  

How many times have we seen a young player score followed by being benched?

How many times since green started coaching have we seen one of our stars physically harmed with no response.   Gadjovich? Mac? 

Didn't work for green.  

Firing Benning is not obvious. Firing green was obvious two years ago  

Where would this team be without markstrom demko.  

DUH!!!!!!

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Another 7 goals allowed and I think Green is gone. If no miraculous recovery Benning at end of year. 
Aldrich would probably be interim. Don’t bring Associate coach in unless you knew this was distinct possibility. 

Are we that desperate for coaching staff that we have to pull this dude from prison? :P

57 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

There is no real reason to keep or fire Benning. 
I don’t think the issue here lies with the players.    I think other than the 4th line and 3rd D pairing, the team actually looks pretty good.  

We could fire Benning and it might help a couple years down the road, but for now this isn’t his fault.  

We should have started the year with a new coach. NOT give him two more years. 
There is doubt he will get fired now because Aqua doesn’t want to pay a coach for 1.75 years of not working with the team. 
That’s another huge amount of money Aqua has to eat because of poor decisions. 
I doubt he does it. 
BUT, he really should.  

Fire Green

Fire Benning AND Weisbrod 

Change back to the skate Jersey. 
Pay Jerome Iginla to mentor Bo and to teach him to play with some damn emotion to lead and inspire his team. 

And FFS shoot the f’n puck on the damn power play!   

Aqua is part of the problem, he has defended green ad nauseum. He probably wanted to extend him.

Too bad we can't fire the owner and turn the Canucks into a share holder by the fans type of ownership.

Like the green bay packers 

• Cheers 1

If you’re debating on firing either the Coach or GM I would not let the potential fired GM pick the new coach.  Benning is now the 9th longest tenured GM in the league and has achieved what? He tried to overextend the old cores time by loading up veteran depth to larger contracts only to screw the new core by being tight to the salary cap. Competent teams have competent management from the top down. Stop changing the tires if the motor is broken. 

• Vintage 2

32 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

First of all we aren't mediocre. We're bad.

The problem with the fire Benning idea is twofold.

1. Benning clearly has delivered a better lineup this year but the on ice product is worse.

2. Every time I see the Canucks staff in session, I see aqua sitting there. It has seemed to me for the last few years that JB and aqua are working in tandem. Aqua firing JB will be an indictment of himself. 

Hows note Schmidt doing in the peg? How's newel browns pp doing?  

How many times have we seen a young player score followed by being benched?

How many times since green started coaching have we seen one of our stars physically harmed with no response.   Gadjovich? Mac? 

Didn't work for green.  

Firing Benning is not obvious. Firing green was obvious two years ago  

Where would this team be without markstrom demko.  

DUH!!!!!!

Ill agree with this

6 weeks ago we were cheering the deepest most skilled group we've had since 2012.

Now we're wanting to fire everyone.

I'll give Benning a pass here because much if the on ice issues are 100% green

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Steven Stamkos said:

If you’re debating on firing either the Coach or GM I would not let the potential fired GM pick the new coach.  Benning is now the 9th longest tenured GM in the league and has achieved what? He tried to overextend the old cores time by loading up veteran depth to larger contracts only to screw the new core by being tight to the salary cap. Competent teams have competent management from the top down. Stop changing the tires if the motor is broken. 

Perhaps Benning has his hands tied because Green is apparently well-liked by management?

IMHO, both need to be fired, but an argument could be made not to extend Green earlier. I just don't know why they stuck their guns with this coaching staff. Maybe Newell Brown wasn't the problem.

• -SN- changed the title to FIRE Jim Benning & Travis Green Thread