The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(POLL) When / should Green be Fired ?

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

When / should Green be Fired ?  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Gotta say, I agree with him.  
Bo is one of the most uninspiring captains I’ve seen in a while. 
When was the last time you saw Bo lay someone out?

When was the last time he took his 220lbs frame and throw someone to the ground for a cheap shot or hitting a rookie?  
Give me a Linden or Iggy right now.  

Bo is not the problem, but he isn’t being a big enough part of the solution. 
It’s his team playing like uninspired ass. 
He should be taking a huge amount of this criticism with Green, or going above and beyond to lead his team out of this. 

I think Bo is trying hard to make the system work.

3 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Actually we were blown out last game so we needed a good start last night. Who scores? Miller. Bo? nada. He didn't even stick up for his rookie, sad. Not what I would expect from our Captain. Podz probably thought the same thing too.

So scoring is the only way to show up in a game as a captain? I can remember countless games where Bo scored for this team when struggling.

Edited by #Canucks
  • Upvote 1

Just now, #Canucks said:

So scoring is the only way to show up in a game as a captain. I can remember countless games where Bo scored for this team when struggling. 

Leadership comes in many different ways from a big hit, a big goal or just giving 110% every shift and see if your team follows. Maybe its showing they need to stick up for each other and protect the young guys when they are being beat up. Maybe its laying down in front of a slapshot to show your goalie you go his back. 

I think many times we mistake a great player for a great leader. We have had great players who may not have been great leaders.

1 hour ago, #Canucks said:

I do not agree. Bo always shows up when the team is struggling. I think he is a great Captain. I don’t think there is another player on this team could fill his shoes.

I think many apply what Bo does on the ice as an example of his good captaincy. What I mean is, Bo makes some great plays, scores some big goals etc... But that's what he is expected to do as a second (first? ) Line centre. So what. My question is, what has Bo done that sets him apart from any other second line centre? Even in last night's game, Bo was closest to Mcnab when Podz, our up and coming rookie got rocked. Bo did nothing. OEL was the farthest player away!

I have seen lots of examples where Bo has chosen to skate away rather than make a statement and lead. So I ask you, what is Bo doing on the ice that justifies captaincy, and not just a good second line player.

Again, not hating on Bo, just questioning the "C"

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Can we get an “after Benning is fired” option for when Green should be fired?

I’m finding it hard to vote for any options where Benning somehow gets to live another day and Green is used as a sacrificial lamb for problems that go far beyond just coaching.

(Not that there isn’t good reason for a coaching change. Just that the GM’s record is equally, if not even more, problematic, and management is even further past their expiry date. And aside from coaching and management, the players themselves also bear significant responsibility for their shocking performances.)

Anyway, without an “after Benning is fired” option, I’ll vote that Green should be fired if they lose tonight to Anaheim.

But what I really hope is that, if the axe is finally coming down on this staff, that the severing swing passes through management first, and then coaching.

Benning has had his nine lives. Time to bury the cat.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I think Bo is a great player but, he, at times, lacks consistency, intensity, aggressiveness and the ability to lead his team into battle every night.

I'd like to reserve judgement on that until we see Bo under an actual NHL level coach. He's had Willie D and Green.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

not sure what games you're watching, I don't see what you seen to be

Can you think of an example at all this season where Bo did anything that couldn't easily be classified as normal second line behavior? Something that made you think say "now there's a captain"?

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'd like to reserve judgement on that until we see Bo under an actual NHL level coach. He's had Willie D and Green.

I would have to agree with you on that. The way players have come in here playing great and for some unknown reason their play changes, they may be being told to play a certain way and other plays are totally off limits, unless you want to ride the pine.

• Vintage 2

I don't get why they haven't at least tried shaking it up. Trotz is rumoured to be looking at changing his assistants, Chicago canned their coach, Dallas had an assistant off the bench last night, why are the nucks sticking with status quo when it's not working? I know they brought in new coaches this summer, but how much are they influencing decisions? If ownership likes Green, fine but make him change his supporting cast because it's broken. The amount of defensive zone breakdowns is horrendous and has been for years, the special teams are killing any chance in every game, the dump and chase doesn't work when you're not fast enough to get the puck back and the lack of emotion and pushback is quite concerning. If they like Green, that's fine, but do something to shake this team up and have new voices, or players if you can find any decent trades. 

12 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’m finding it hard to vote for any options where Benning somehow gets to live another day and Green is used as a sacrificial lamb for problems that go far beyond just coaching.

(Not that there isn’t good reason for a coaching change. Just that the GM’s record is equally, if not even more, problematic, and management is even further past their expiry date. And aside from coaching and management, the players themselves also bear significant responsibility for their shocking performances.)

Anyway, without an “after Benning is fired” option, I’ll vote that Green should be fired if they lose tonight to Anaheim.

But what I really hope is that, if the axe is finally coming down on this staff, that the severing swing passes through management first, and then coaching.

I don't think it's going to go down that way, but you're not wrong. 7 years to put together an NHL caliber blueline and as of right now it's a patchwork of Hughes and a cobbled together group of expensive free agents, OEL with an anchor contract and a bunch of AHL caliber guys, with nobody in the pipeline ready to make the jump. That's just not excusable.

21 minutes ago, Filthymitts32 said:

I don't get why they haven't at least tried shaking it up. Trotz is rumoured to be looking at changing his assistants, Chicago canned their coach, Dallas had an assistant off the bench last night, why are the nucks sticking with status quo when it's not working? I know they brought in new coaches this summer, but how much are they influencing decisions? If ownership likes Green, fine but make him change his supporting cast because it's broken. The amount of defensive zone breakdowns is horrendous and has been for years, the special teams are killing any chance in every game, the dump and chase doesn't work when you're not fast enough to get the puck back and the lack of emotion and pushback is quite concerning. If they like Green, that's fine, but do something to shake this team up and have new voices, or players if you can find any decent trades. 

If ownership likes Green, it's not fine.  He's the idiot who can't even set the lineup properly.  He's the guy who insisted on keeping Baumgartner despite his obvious incompetence.  He's the reason useless trash like Hunt made the roster instead of playing in the AHL.   He's the gutless coward who throws the team under the bus instead of pretending to be a man and taking responsibility for not having the guys ready to play.

Get this cancer away from the team.

Halfway through the homestand was when I started in earnest for him to be gone.
You could just tell by the way everyone was playing, that the season was already going sideways. 
After a long road trip and you can't get up to play in front of your crowd, something needed to be changed.

At this point it's almost a foregone conclusion that we don't make the playoffs, to many points given up.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Either Petey or Boeser need to go and in return we need a solid # 1dman…I wonder if Dahlin would be available. 

Pettersson for Pierre Luc Dubois.

Boeser and Rathbone for Patrik Laine.

Not sure if Detroit would be down for this, but Pettersson and Hamonic to Detroit for Larkin and Hronek.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Thanks for the feedback and I certainly gave thought to including a "Benning twist/option" in this poll but strived to keep focused on coaching only - althought I certainly appreciate that Jim B. is part of this equation.    Hang tight until the upcoming "When / Should Uncle Jim be Fired" Poll comes out (coming soon !!!)  unless he's also Fired with Green before then.