The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Anaheim Ducks | Nov 14 | 5 PM PT

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, billabong said:

I don’t know even if the Canucks thump the ducks 10–1 it would really change anything for the fans

i think the fans have unanimously decided this isn’t working, hasn’t worked and time for a change 

only winning 8 games in a row would fix anything and that seems impossible right now 

Agreed. I think it's pretty obvious now that staying status quo and hoping for something internal to turn things around isn't going to happen. The sooner the stragglers come to terms with that, the easier it will be for them to accept the big changes to come.

9 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Well, the good news is Miller would fetch a good return regardless of the team's struggles. He's our points leader . Don't think of it in terms of losing JT, but who would be on the ice for us instead.  Would likely be another game breaker . 

Nope, there'd be no "good news" in it for me.

"Would likely be" when he is one of the only ones proving to be at the moment.  I'll stay with the tried and true, thanks.

• Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, billabong said:

I don’t know even if the Canucks thump the ducks 10–1 it would really change anything for the fans

i think the fans have unanimously decided this isn’t working, hasn’t worked and time for a change 

only winning 8 games in a row would fix anything and that seems impossible right now 

Exactly. They have to show something we haven’t seen for a while. Win a lot. Being consistently good is something this team seems to be allergic to. I think everyone is tired of the team clinging to moments or the fact they weren’t blown out but still lose. Who cares! You lost. A loss is a loss regardless. Their standards are so low it’s just sad. The organizations standards are so low starting with the ownership. We are one of the only organizations who cling to a losing culture. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 2

33 minutes ago, BPA said:

Trade with BUF for Tuch?

Buffalo is looking to change their culture.  Adams says they want players who want to be there - doubt Miller wants to be there + he's soon a UFA.  

Buffalo also not looking to trade Tuch.  He's young enough to be part of their rebuild.  He is also from Syracuse and was a Sabres fans growing up.  Sounds excited to be near home. 

Canucks fire general manager

November 4, 1997

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) _ The Vancouver Canucks, losers of seven straight games, fired general manager and president Pat Quinn today.

Steve Bellringer, president of Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment, the Seattle-based group that owns the team (3-10-2), said he had no candidate in mind at the present time to replace Quinn. He said the search would take several weeks.

Quinn’s firing was a surprise since speculation had focused on the future of coach Tom Renney as the team stumbled through its losing streak.

``There’s no change in Tom Renney’s status,″ said Bellringer, adding there were no plans to keep Quinn within the organization.

The Canucks’ latest loss was 5-3 to the Carolina Hurricanes Monday night. Vancouver plays at Washington tonight, where the Canucks are winless in their last seven games.

Only Tampa Bay (2-9-2) has a worse record than the Canucks and the Lightning already have fired coach Terry Crisp.

Bellringer said the decision to fire Quinn was made last weekend by ownership.

``It took a few days to get the process in place,″ Bellringer said. ``It’s obvious we’re not happy with team prformance.″

Bellringer acknowledged that the firing would not immediately affect the on-ice performance, referring several times to the long-term picture.

``Obviously Pat is not on the ice, skating himself,″ Bellringer said. ``That’s something he did in the past. I don’t think it’s going to make an impact tonight. But I think as we go forth, it will be a positive thing and that’s obviously why we did it.″

Bellringer said Quinn was informed of the firing early today in Washington.

``Pat was very stoic,″ Bellringer said. ``He accepted it as part of professional life ...″

The Canucks’ poor performance has been exceptionally disappointing since the team spent $20 million to acquire free agent center Mark Messier after failing to make the playoffs last season.

The Canucks have so far failed to re-sign star Russian Alexander Mogilny this season, however.

Quinn, a defenseman on the first Vancouver team in 1970, was hired by the Canucks 10 years ago.

The Canucks reached the Stanley Cup final in 1994 with Quinn as coach. Twice he went behind the bench to replace fired coaches Bob McCammon and Rick Ley.

ADVERTISEMENT

Quinn met with the Canucks in Pittsburgh Saturday, urging them to try to turn things around.

Renney wasn’t at the players’ meeting, but said he had Quinn’s support.

``I still feel support,″ Renney said Monday night. ``Until such time they feel they have to make a drastic move that might impact me, I’ll always feel that way.″

6 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Nope, there'd be no "good news" in it for me.

"Would likely be" when he is one of the only ones proving to be at the moment.  I'll stay with the tried and true, thanks.

Even if he is the one causing division in the locker room? If he's not making guys around him better , what the point? 

Sounds to me like either him, or Bo horvat will likely need to go. I don't say that lightly. 

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

5 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Even if he is the one causing division in the locker room? If he's not making guys around him better , what the point? 

Sounds to me like either him, or Bo horvat will likely need to go. I don't say that lightly. 

So the first line...that's your perception but it may not be truth.  And I'd argue that a guy showing leadership through example is not the problem if the guys around him aren't going...but maybe the coaches are?  The players not producing can follow his lead, which is a guy walking the walk (not just talking the talk).

Sounds to me that Bo and Miller are the types of players we want to keep, not get rid of.  My God, if they're gone our "easy to play against" level doubles.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Team is playing like crap....oh, except that guy...he's putting up good numbers and showing passionate leadership....yep, we cant have that around here....we should trade him...

:blink:

I'm glad someone gets it.

Others are making this a soap opera...where the "moody guy who swears" is a bad guy.  I think that's a good guy if he's on your team.  Kes was one of those guys too.   Bert (someone mentioned those two last game and it's applicable).   Heart and soul.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Well, the good news is Miller would fetch a good return regardless of the team's struggles. He's our points leader . Don't think of it in terms of losing JT, but who would be on the ice for us instead.  Would likely be another game breaker . 

But why, Miller is one of our best players this year…. You would litterly be trading Miller for another Miller not making any progress anywhere! 

we would be here in this exact same spot as the new player would be sucked down the rabbit hole! Miller is not the problem 

Hellooooo Petey???

our best players need to wake up and smell the bacon and I believe it won’t take much, a complete coaching change top to bottom to put a new twist on things 

• Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

11 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Me too.

I live in Pittsburgh so I’d probably get behind the Pens. I’m a Canucks fan, but living in western PA you kind of take an interest in the local team. Their history is so rich with success and achievement, very different from the Canucks. Some world class superstars like Mario, Jagr, Crosby & Malkin don’t hurt either!

• Wat 1

Do you forget what GM, what coach, what the team did in the Bubble Playoffs?

Do you forget knocking out the defending Stanley Cup Champians (spelling courtesy of 'The Rat's Nose)?

Do you forget the feeling that it was all coming together?

Look what happened when Those Seattle Idiots fired Quinn.

Gave us (spit, spit) Rusty Iron Mike Keenan, Messier, etc?

What a bunch of losers you Fire Everybody folks are.

Go Canucks Go!

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

So the first line...that's your perception but it may not be truth.  And I'd argue that a guy showing his leadership is not the problem if the guys around him aren't going...but maybe coaches are?

Sounds to me that Bo and Miller are the types of players we want to keep, not get rid of.  My God, if they're gone our "easy to play against" level goes doubles.

I'm not saying I'm happy about the situation.  Hirsch wouldn't elude to " alpha issue's in the locker room " out of speculation.  He has more than enough contacts to know what's going on. He even furthered that by saying a trade is needed to fix it. 

Edited by cuporbust

Just now, -DLC- said:

I'm glad someone gets it.

Others are making this a soap opera...where the "moody guy who swears" is a bad guy.  I think that's a good guy if he's on your team.  Kes was one of those guys too.  

Just thinking that.

Last time we were fab, this team had quite a bit of frick and frack. 

• Cheers 1