The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hirsch: "...the problem isn't on the bench, the problem is in the locker room..."

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, Pickly said:

On a side note, it’s one thing for rumours/speculation to leak from a beat reporter, but for it to come from the teams radio colour analyst I find it highly unprofessional. Hirsch is a weird dude and is a horrible colour guy with his awkward, cringeworthy takes. I get that he’s a former player and battled mental health problems making for a feel good story, but doesn’t take away from the fact he’s overstepped his boundaries here. I for one wouldn’t miss him for a second if he were replaced. 

He didn't name names so there is professionalism involved here I think.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Sure, if that needs to be done.

Does Green have the stones?

Also, I don't have much respect for Hirsch so I'll take what he says with a grain of salt

I don't think that Green has the stones.  I also don't like Hirsch at all, but listening to that 5 minute interview with him was quite something.  

Agreed with @Pickly that Hirsch shouldn't be saying those things as a colour commentator that flies with the team, however that was a very poignant criticism that we wouldn't get from any player or coach. 

23 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Torts is an extreme example, but he had no issues benching Laine.  

Ken Hitchkock had no issues benching Nail Yakupov and Julius Honka back when those two were still hot young prospects. 

Mike Babcock benched Mike Modano.  

Hell, Bowman famously benched Phil Esposito once. 

There needs to be a way to deal with guys not following the system.  Not following the system because you don't believe in it is a really bad sign in a player.  If those players are your leaders then the team is doomed. 

The difference is those guys were actual NHL coaches who had systems that work.  Not following an idiotic system that is costing the team games is not in the same category. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So Hirsch's plan is to trade our top scorer, send guys to the minors if they don't buy into the system and trade other guys for peanuts on the dollar just to get them out of the locker room?  All of this just to KEEP Travis Green?

No, he never said that.  Listen to the 3 minute clip, starting at 2 minutes into the post-game show. 

My take on this again only speculation and conjecture is there may be some truth to this.

If you think about what does Hirsch have to gain from leaking this?

He almost started crying at the end when he was talking. He is still not the most mentally stable.

But he himself said he has to see those guys every day at the rink and on the plane.

So he wouldn't just start a rumor or leak something he saw or heard about from one of the trainers that would threaten him losing access to the team.

There has to be something to this question is how big is it really and will he apologize and stay quiet about the issues in the room or further elaborate today?

23 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I don't think that Green has the stones.  I also don't like Hirsch at all, but listening to that 5 minute interview with him was quite something.  

Agreed with @Pickly that Hirsch shouldn't be saying those things as a colour commentator that flies with the team, however that was a very poignant criticism that we wouldn't get from any player or coach. 

Kinda makes you wonder if he just had a personal dispute with a particular player.

Miller is playing 20+ minutes on a nightly basis and putting up PPG. It can't be Miller.

If Hirsch's comments are true, then it actually proves that there is a problem with coaching.

Coach that can't get the players to buy in? That's a lame duck coach.

There's a reason why coaches are hired to be fired. Longer you coach, more data is available for other teams to dissect and analyze. After some 5+ years, everyone knows what options you have and how to limit those options.

That's why even the great ones eventually get fired. 

Green? He hasn't done nothing but the whole NHL knows what he's got up his sleeves.

Green and his staff must go.

Just the fact that we have this atrocious PK is enough of a reason to fire someone.

• Cheers 1

So wait.

The "expert" on our woes is a goaltender whose own records was:  34W - 45L?  With a 3.13 GAA?  

Corey loves to talk, but it doesn't mean it's all worth listening to or of any value/substance.  

Sometimes teams need an alpha to step up if they're floundering...I have no problem with this (at all).  It's called leadership.  You can't coddle players for too long...sometimes you've gotta bring some tough love in (too).  I've been a big proponent of "patience" and "allowing players to work through", but that's not fair to teammates if it goes on too long.

I don't know that they should buy into a system that hasn't provided them with proven results.   The guys who are "broken" right now showed great instinctual talent...maybe this is being coached out of some?  Because some move on the find that success (again) elsewhere.  And the alphas seem to be doing ok despite it all.  That speaks volumes for me.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 2
  • RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, Pickly said:

Well, if a majority of the players aren’t buying into the system, a system which clearly isn’t working and hasn’t for a number of years now, then why are the players necessarily at fault? The top players all look defeated. Also, it seems as if nearly every single player player the Canucks have acquired outside of Miller has regressed as a player. Travis Green maybe be a players coach and ‘well respected’ but in reality he is a terrible coach for this group of players and this team is going to continue to suck as long as he’s back there. 

This is a huge problem.

Green is leaning on Miller as if though he's the second coming of Mario Lemieux. 

Green relies on Miller way too much and although that has resulted in Miller hitting his full potential, that has prevented other players from progressing, namely EP and Boeser.

There are two players that I always admire for their ability to just appear out of nowhere to break up plays and make smart decisions with the puck: Mark Stone and Patrice Bergeron.

If you watch the games, sometimes you don't even notice them until they cause a turnover and send their teammate on an odd man rush or something like that. Miller makes way too many poor decisions with the puck, and I think part of it is that he is playing too much, beyond his capabilities. Later on in the game, he makes far too many mental mistakes at the opposition's blue line, ending the game.

Like I said in another post, until Elias Pettersson reaches his full potential and becomes the best forward on this team, we ain't going anywhere. 

It's clear to me that Green is not the coach that is going to unlock EP's potential.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

14 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

No, he never said that.  Listen to the 3 minute clip, starting at 2 minutes into the post-game show. 

Corey Hirsch: "You gotta start moving the players out of the locker room that are causing the problems"

Corey Hirsch: "You move the guy that's the problem in the locker room"

Corey Hirsch: "I've seen guys get sent to the minors for not being team guys at big salaries, so you do what you gotta do cause it's not working on the ice"

Corey Hirsch:  "There is always ways to move guys, sometimes you gotta eat money and sometimes you gotta try and move guys for less than you can get.  To me you gotta figure out who those guys are.  That's the way you are gonna fix it"

These are direct quotes word for word from the interview.  Here was my response:

38 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So Hirsch's plan is to trade our top scorer, send guys to the minors if they don't buy into the system and trade other guys for peanuts on the dollar just to get them out of the locker room?  All of this just to KEEP Travis Green?

giphy (11).gif

My response was 100% exactly what he said...

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Not agreeing or disagreeing with him, I'd just like to know how he knows this.

Not only is he part of the media that travels with the team, but he's on the broadcast crew, which is more like actually being part of the team. The home team broadcasters have unprecedented access, they often  travel on team busses, sit through practices, back when I worked on the broadcast crew for a US College team, we were part of team meals, sat through video sessions, etc. If somebody has a feel for what's going on in the room, it's going to be one of the home team broadcasters.

Lastly, and I'm really skeptical of adding to this rumour mill and speculation.

But what if he's talking about someone OTHER than Miller?  What if there are some pouting and moping and Miller's fed up and just wants to win?  It's not a bad attitude to call out others if they're showing a lack of engagement or intensity.  This is not to suggest this is what's taking place.  But the point is we just don't know, and neither does Corey.

I refuse to buy into his "story" because his gig right now is getting paid for "colour commentary".  Even if he takes casualties in that.  Not my team, no you don't.