The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hirsch: "...the problem isn't on the bench, the problem is in the locker room..."

Rate this topic

58 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Torts is an extreme example, but he had no issues benching Laine.  

Ken Hitchkock had no issues benching Nail Yakupov and Julius Honka back when those two were still hot young prospects. 

Mike Babcock benched Mike Modano.  

Hell, Bowman famously benched Phil Esposito once. 

There needs to be a way to deal with guys not following the system.  Not following the system because you don't believe in it is a really bad sign in a player.  If those players are your leaders then the team is doomed. 

You're comparing Stanley Cup winning coaches to Travis Green.  Think about that for a second.  If your best players aren't buying into your system then maybe it's because those players are smart enough to figure out that the "system" is the problem, not the players trying to implement it.

Green is an AHL coach who is using an AHL system on star NHL players including bag skates, dump and chase among other things.  He belongs in the AHL, he should not be allowed into an NHL dressing room ever again...

• Cheers 3

12 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

So wait.

The "expert" on our woes is a goaltender whose own records was:  34W - 45L?  With a 3.13 GAA?  

Corey loves to talk, but it doesn't mean it's all worth listening to or of any value/substance.  

Sometimes teams need an alpha to step up if they're floundering...I have no problem with this (at all).  It's called leadership.  You can't coddle players for too long...sometimes you've gotta bring some tough love in (too).  I've been a big proponent of "patience" and "allowing players to work through", but that's not fair to teammates if it goes on too long.

I don't know that they should buy into a system that hasn't provided them with proven results.   The guys who are "broken" right now showed great instinctual talent...maybe this is being coached out of some?  Because some move on the find that success (again) elsewhere.  And the alphas seem to be doing ok despite it all.  That speaks volumes for me.

This is such a dumb take. 

What was your record Deb? 

• Haha 3
  • Wat 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Corey Hirsch: "You gotta start moving the players out of the locker room that are causing the problems"

Corey Hirsch: "You move the guy that's the problem in the locker room"

Corey Hirsch: "I've seen guys get sent to the minors for not being team guys at big salaries, so you do what you gotta do cause it's not working on the ice"

Corey Hirsch:  "There is always ways to move guys, sometimes you gotta eat money and sometimes you gotta try and move guys for less than you can get.  To me you gotta figure out who those guys are.  That's the way you are gonna fix it"

These are direct quotes word for word from the interview.  Here was my response:

My response was 100% exactly what he said...

I hope he isn’t referencing JT Miller because I know for certain trading him at this point would be a major mistake and would do more harm than good. He’s been the lone bright spot on the lotto line all season despite his tendency to try and do too much resulting in turnovers. At least he shows some emotion out there. 

• Vintage 2

Just now, canuckleheads fan said:

He mentions in the interview having to get on the plane with the team, so yes, during Covid.

Yes, I see they've revised it.

I imagine they won't take too kindly to him sharing information like this though and fuelling these fires.  Might have to ride on the wing of the plane in future.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Hirsch hasn't done anything of relevance in his entire NHL career including his post hockey career.  Yet he goes on the radio and starts telling the fans that we should be trading our top scorer, send guys on big contracts to the minors and trade other guys for pennies on the dollar, all because they are not buying into Green's AHL system. 

Maybe Hirsch is the one who needs some help here...

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

23 minutes ago, Rubik said:

what does his record have to do with anything though?

Well he hardly found his own success so I'm not counting on him to figure out what's wrong with this team.  His observations may not be what's wrong/right and are simply that...his own personal opinion.  

Again. teams often show frustration and vent during losing streaks.  Some even fight in practice.  It doesn't mean that removing players will automatically correct things - could be the opposite. 

It kind of ticks me off that he'd lean this way because he was a guy who admittedly (and courageously) had issues in the room himself.  But he was supported and allowed to work through them.  Not sure him passing judgement on what happens in a locker room is fair, considering.  That he's single guys out during moments when they're obviously not at their best to decide.  

The team's having huge issues....but is "one guy" in the room the reason?  I highly doubt it.  That's scapegoating. 

I believe it's the guys at the top who are stale and don't have answers beyond their limited playbooks, which other teams have long ago figured out.  The players seem baffled by what they're trying to "coach" into them.  I mean, special teams are a mess...and one guy in the room is doing that?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

I have noticed a distinct drop in the quality of Bo's play this season. At the same time, OEL is looking and acting more like a captain than anybody on the team. I think the team should approach Bo and tell him they think he has too much on his plate and ask if he would be willing to take a step back to "A" status and give the "C" to OEL for the rest of the season. Part of the problem is this team doesn't have an identity, I agree with Hirsch, all the leadership is gone, the team took a massive hit with the loss of Markey, Tanev and Eddy. This team is too much for Bo to carry. Yes you can be a leader without the "C" but it does symbolize the rallying point. I also wonder if Bo is the big dog who doesn't buy in.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Pickly said:

I hope he isn’t referencing JT Miller because I know for certain trading him at this point would be a major mistake and would do more harm than good. He’s been the lone bright spot on the lotto line all season despite his tendency to try and do too much resulting in turnovers. At least he shows some emotion out there. 

Hirsch would rather trade Miller for peanuts on the dollar than to fire Green.  Hirsch should never be coaching or advising at any level in hockey ever...

• Wat 1

11 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I'm not a paid commentator for the team.  He is.  

And it matters to me because a guy who didn't quite fully master the game may not be the go to in how to fix a game.

• Wat 1
  • RoughGame 2

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You're comparing Stanley Cup winning coaches to Travis Green.  Think about that for a second.  If your best players aren't buying into your system then maybe it's because those players are smart enough to figure out that the "system" is the problem, not the players trying to implement it.

Green is an AHL coach who is using an AHL system on star NHL players including bag skates, dump and chase among other things.  He belongs in the AHL, he should not be allowed into an NHL dressing room ever again...

It's not the system, it's the fact that Green doesn't have the balls to send a message. 

Miller would've been benched many times last year by a stronger coach. So agree to agree in a disagreeing way ;)

23 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Not only is he part of the media that travels with the team, but he's on the broadcast crew, which is more like actually being part of the team. The home team broadcasters have unprecedented access, they often  travel on team busses, sit through practices, back when I worked on the broadcast crew for a US College team, we were part of team meals, sat through video sessions, etc. If somebody has a feel for what's going on in the room, it's going to be one of the home team broadcasters.

So what if media traveling with his team back in the day interpreted his issues as not being a team player?  When, really, mental health is something worth supporting?  

You just never know and what we see at face value isn't really worth announcing based on personal observation and opinion.  The team will figure it out and likely doesn't need Corey Hirsch "helping" with that.  

• Like 1

I have no problem with Hirsch being let go, but he can’t be completely wrong. There’s good players on this team that are not engaged nightly. I do think Green needs to go but I don’t trust Benning in hiring his successor, JB needs to finally be held accountable and he should go before Green. I hope these guys can right the ship I’m a hurry, tonight as a huge game. They need to look decent or heads will be rolling soon

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Not only is he part of the media that travels with the team, but he's on the broadcast crew, which is more like actually being part of the team. The home team broadcasters have unprecedented access, they often  travel on team busses, sit through practices, back when I worked on the broadcast crew for a US College team, we were part of team meals, sat through video sessions, etc. If somebody has a feel for what's going on in the room, it's going to be one of the home team broadcasters.

Yeah I don't think that fans should get offended that we are hearing this.  

The fact that we are communicating on this forum would probably define all of us as the most hardcore 1% of the fan base that wants to see our team succeed. 

I was pretty shocked to hear that very direct analysis from Corey. As I said I'm one of the biggest Hirsch hater if you look at my last two month post history, but this should not be discounted.  

It's also shifting my view that it's not Green's systems that are at fault, but rather his handling of the room. 

I think we lost a lot more then just the play on the ice when guys like Tanev and Marky left the team. 

5 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Lastly, and I'm really skeptical of adding to this rumour mill and speculation.

But what if he's talking about someone OTHER than Miller?  What if there are some pouting and moping and Miller's fed up and just wants to win?  It's not a bad attitude to call out others if they're showing a lack of engagement or intensity.  This is not to suggest this is what's taking place.  But the point is we just don't know, and neither does Corey.

I refuse to buy into his "story" because his gig right now is getting paid for "colour commentary".  Even if he takes casualties in that.  Not my team, no you don't.

It's obviously not Miller, who is one of the only guys on this team giving 100% every night. He is Travis' Swiss Army Knife, so Travis trusts him implicitly. I mentioned earlier the drop-off in Bo's play. I think it's one of the big three young forwards, Bo, Petey or Brock, because none of them seem to be competing. To me it's most likely Bo who would be considered the " Alpha Dog." Last night Miller made Bo's line go as they were by far our best line, while Bo poured cold water on Garland and Podz, who up until last night had been a revelation.

Edited by canuckleheads fan
  • Vintage 2

?? We're talking about Miller here? Because I see Miller being quite engaged during plays. He basically stole the win vs NYR with 2 goals and he even did the Pre-game press con before vs Vegas and was pretty positive and even talks like Green's system (whatever that is... I think it's playing hard defensively, win puck battles and offensive chances will open?)

• Vintage 1