The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hirsch: "...the problem isn't on the bench, the problem is in the locker room..."

Rate this topic

The fact your key players aren’t buying in means you’ve lost the room so behind the bench is the problem. 

his points only proves how green needs to be fired. 
schmidt wanted out after 1 season there’s something to he said for that to. 

to many excuses from Jb and green and to many things that just haven’t worked 

times up. 

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Actually I can.  Because he hadn't mastered a winning formula so his observations may not be the winning formula for this team either. 

He got to the NHL. That itself is an amazing achievement. He had to master a way to win at all levels before the NHL to get there. 

At this point, there's no way for us to know if what he's saying has any basis or not. It's just one guy's speculation. It might turn out to be true or it might not.

But none of us can't say he's wrong because he only has 34 wins in the NHL or that he hasn't mastered the winning formula for this team. Coming up with a winning formula is not his job, that's Green's job. A job at which he is clearly failing and has been failing for quite some time now.

Hirsch's in the media now so his job is to give his subjective opinion about the team based on what he saw/heard. 

I don't like what he said, I hope that's not true. But if true, it does point to a possible coaching problem.

Coaches have to get the players to buy-in. Players aren't idiots. They are not junior players that are just doing what they are told by the coaches. If it is indeed Miller, he's experienced two great coaches and their systems: AV in NY and Cooper in Tampa.

If it really is JT that's complaining about the system, he might be right. Other guys have very little experience in the NHL and other coaches to compare to. Bo was coached by WD for a brief period and that's about it. 

With each passing day, I'm more and more convinced that Green and his staff needs to go.

The very fact that we are spotting other team at least one PK goal per game is enough reason to get him and his staff fired. We scored first only 3 times in 15 games. And that trend persisted last season as well.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

SS:  "Hirschy, what is your main takeaway after this tough loss in Vegas today"

CH:  "Ummmm, God that's a tough question Sat....my main takeaway after this that um, people are going to blame the coach, they're gonna be like fire the coach, fire the GM, fire everybody.  The coach and the GM didn't lose the puck in the middle of the ice, the coach and the GM didn't make a bad change, the coach and the GM didn't poke the puck away from Thatcher Demko for a tap in from Marchessault so, and I can hear Twitter now going 'that Hirsch is a moron' but it's the truth.  The problem isn't on the bench, the problem is in the locker room annnd these guys don't buy into the system and...there's one guy who doesn't buy ...one of the biggest alpha dogs in the room doesn't buy into it.  And when he doesn't nobody else does.  And that's leadership*.  So, to me, you know, you can fire the coach and nothing's gonna change...you've gotta start moving the players out of there and out of the locker room that are causing the problems.  (interrupts as someone else starts to respond) and that's how you're gonna change this".

So, my question to Corey is:  if you have strong/good coaches, haven't they already done this by now?  This isn't a new thing we're seeing....so the fact that they've failed to address this maybe speaks volumes?  

If it's Miller...why isn't he benched?  Why is the spokesman for the team in many interviews?

It contradicts Corey's opinion.  

If it isn't Miller, what other alpha dog is on his radar?

I've heard enough of Corey Hirsch.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, combover said:

The fact your key players aren’t buying in means you’ve lost the room so behind the bench is the problem. 

his points only proves how green needs to be fired. 
schmidt wanted out after 1 season there’s something to he said for that to. 

to many excuses from Jb and green and to many things that just haven’t worked 

times up. 

But isn't the statement that players aren't buying in also an acknowledgement that there are issues with player(s) in the room?

These guys aren't kids, they are professional players. They should leave their personal attitude issues in juniors and show up to play if they want to be in the NHL..

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, GB5 said:

But isn't the statement that players aren't buying in also an acknowledgement that there are issues with player(s) in the room?

These guys aren't kids, they are professional players. They should leave their personal attitude issues in juniors and show up to play if they want to be in the NHL..

But different players have come and gone over the tenure of this coaching staff/management.  At some point, you have to look their way.

5 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

But different players have come and gone over the tenure of this coaching staff/management.  At some point, you have to look their way.

Absolutely. I'm not defending management or coaching.

I am somewhat agreeing with Hirsch that it is plausible and highly likely that the players are also not in cohesion.

Remember when Messier played here, the team was a wreck and he was heralded as a great leader. Years later we find out Messier was a bully who had his clique of buddies.

Given how this team looks, a similar situation seems somewhat likely and I think this is what Hirsch is suggesting.

Edited by GB5
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I have no clue what type of access he has tbh.

That said, if we were to assume it was true, and Miller is the guy not buying in, isn't it the coaches job to ensure he and everyone else does buy in? Or at the very least relay to the GM that Miller is undermining him and needs to go?

However you want to look at it, Green isn't doing his job if one player has more power over the locker room than he does.

If it comes down to Miller or Green, Miller wins by far. 

Perhaps Green has lost the room indeed.

This team is loaded with talent. Should it tell together, they’ll be tough to win against. 

Perhaps a new voice is needed.

Edited by Me_

32 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Or, maybe Hirsch is exactly the guy to be offering these observations. He's played on a lot of teams for a lot of different coaches. He has seen what happens on successful and unsuccessful teams, what happens in the room for teams that buy in and teams that dont. I find that backup goalies are among the best observers of what's going on around them, what's happening on the bench and in the room, because they don't have to be as focused on themselves and their preparation. Whether or not he was a great goalie doesn't matter, most top coaches and GMs we're not star players.

Juice doesn't seem to buy in to what Hirsch is saying.  I think he knows more about what has gone on in Vancouver than Hirsch.

• Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, GB5 said:

Jannik Hansen was on air last week saying that it's on the players to buy in. You don't depend on the coach to motivate you, and if you do, you'll be out of the league very soon.  

We all cheer for the players when we watch the games, so I get that we have a strong emotional attachment to them and take the easy way by blaming coaching and management for everything. 

Coaching change will be easier then trades, so I'm not opposed to it but I'm questioning the leaders of this team after last year and the beginning of this year, Corey Hisch comments or not. 

2 hours ago, mll said:

Green has Miller wearing the A - wouldn't he notice if he wasn't buying in.

that is a double edged sword

how many more "Wouldn't/shouldn't/didn't he notice" questions can we add about Green?

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Juice doesn't seem to buy in to what Hirsch is saying.  I think he knows more about what has gone on in Vancouver than Hirsch.

Juice has been away from the team for a few years and Hirsch is with the team all the time. 

I have no idea if what Hirsch is saying has any merit or not. Even if it does, I disagree with him saying that a coaching change won't have any effect. If a coach has lost the room, he needs to go, regardless of whether there are toxic players in the room as well. 

Bring in a new coach, see how he does, and if the problems persist until the end of the year, start shipping players out, hopefully with a new GM pulling the strings.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, GB5 said:

Absolutely. I'm not defending management or coaching.

I am somewhat agreeing with Hirsch that it is plausible and highly likely that the players are also not in cohesion.

Remember when Messier played here, the team was a wreck and he was heralded as a great leader. Years later we find out Messier was a bully who had his clique of buddies.

Given how this team looks, a similar situation seems somewhat likely and I think this is what Hirsch is suggesting.

I don't see anyone on the team who could possibly be compared to that worthless piece of garbage.  Messier was the laziest piece of garbage to set foot on the ice, and showed clear and obvious character issues off it.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I didn't listen to the whole interview.... but does he actually name Miller? Seems like he was more vague than that in the part I heard.

No he never names Miller, so it could be someone else for all we know.