The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Capitals re-sign Nic Dowd

54 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Hes really carved out a good career for himself. Too bad he didn't show more here.

Easier (relatively... I mean anyone able to hold down an NHL job deserves props) to play a depth role on a deep contender where you don't have to shoulder as big of a load.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

In the meantime Canucks gave up a 3rd and paying almost double for Dickinson :emot-parrot:

To be fair, Dickinson was elite (in the 96th percentile or something like that) when it came to some defensive metrics.  Not sure if he's being overused, if it's a bad fit or what, but in hindsight I know I was happy when we acquired him, so no problem from me on that deal.

9 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

To be fair, Dickinson was elite (in the 96th percentile or something like that) when it came to some defensive metrics.  Not sure if he's being overused, if it's a bad fit or what, but in hindsight I know I was happy when we acquired him, so no problem from me on that deal.

The Stars are a better defensive team than the Canucks overall, so that should surely be a factor in Dickinson's numbers.  I'm not

Good for Dowd.  I didn't mind Dowd in his only year with the Canucks.  He didn't stand out or anything but again, that team was pretty bad, including depth players, so it's hard to fault him for not producing more.  Wasn't bothered by the Canucks letting him walk but I could also see why commentators contrasted Dowd's contract with Beagle's since the only major difference between them was that Beagle had won a cup and had a lot of "intangibles" but at more than 4 times the cost.

15 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

This is how much Jay Beagle should've been paid 

Nah, not realistic at all. You're underestimating what teams are prepared to spend on a quality bottom six center who wins draws, plays reliable defense, and who just won a cup. It was the perfect storm for Beagle. We're really missing him this season. 

Wouldn't have been surprised if he had multiple offers in the 2-2.5M range. 

Edited by Coconuts

On 11/14/2021 at 7:51 PM, Phil_314 said:

6'2", RH center with a 56.4% faceoff percentage... could've used a guy like that.  Good for him and the Caps.

His career would’ve been over by the second year.  He has received proper guidance and training in the Washington, with the right amount of excellent coaching.    

• Vintage 1

15 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Nah, not realistic at all. You're underestimating what teams are prepared to spend on a quality bottom six center who wins draws, plays reliable defense, and who just won a cup. It was the perfect storm for Beagle. We're really missing him this season. 

Wouldn't have been surprised if he had multiple offers in the 2-2.5M range. 

And yet Benning decided to pay for more 

Actually a 3 million Beagle for one year right now sounds a lot better than a 2.6 million Dickinson for 2 years.

Not saying Beagle's deal for the Canucks was any good it's not. But looks like Benning got rid of a bad situation and put the team to an even worse one