The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEBATE] Who will be the next coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

Rate this topic

Elias Pettersson

Who will be the next coach of the Vancouver Canucks?  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Definitely, Mike Babcock! This team needs a veteran NHL coach to guide them out of this drought and play our players to their full potential.

He's been out of the league for some time and must be eager to jump back in to elevate a mislead team to the next level.

• Upvote 1

On 11/15/2021 at 1:35 AM, CanuckleHorse said:

The positive attention that this would bring also revenue it would generate because many natives hated what happened to Ethan after the playoffs so I believe they would jump on the bandwagon if a First Nations coach was at the helm.

I'm not saying no to Ted Nolan outright but if they hire him it should be because he's the best candidate, not for marketing purposes.

Edited by McBackup
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Who will be the next coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

A new coach should be announced any minute now...   :)

travis green.gif

My hope is that it’s one of Boudreau or Julien but the is management group loves to promote from within while saving a few bucks as far as coaching decisions go.  

Brad Shaw is probably the next head coach. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, CanuckleHorse said:

The positive attention that this would bring also revenue it would generate because many natives hated what happened to Ethan after the playoffs so I believe they would jump on the bandwagon if a First Nations coach was at the helm.

Hire a coach or GM because they are a good fit. Race or color should have no bearing on the decision. 

• Cheers 3

Mike Babcock did an amazing job coaching our Olympic teams to gold medals imo, I have never seen 60 minutes of hockey played as intensely as those Canada/USA games.

That said he comes across like a total dick and I wonder what skeletons he might have in the closet to keep him out of work for this long?

Shaw or Trent Cull seem most likely interim replacements to me.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

By the way, if it was up to me, I’d coax Joel Quennville to come out of retirement to coach.

Thank you, despite how utterly terrible things have been for weeks; I can at least be thank full you are not in charge.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Wouldn't mind Babcock at all, he would hold everyone responsible.

Pass on Babcock. Brendan Shanahan wouldn't throw words like "mental abuse" out lightly. You want the players to be excited and motivated to play for their coach, not terrified. We tried one drill sargent coach already, it didnt work. 

Boudreau is our guy if hes willing, imo. 

8 hours ago, CanuckleHorse said:

Hiring people for reasons like this is not going to help.

i don't know why exactly. But the Babcock route feels too much like the Mike Keenan mistake. We don't need to start mirroring 97 even more. I could be very wrong(my wife tells me i am all the time)But Babs scares me. I voted Dan B, i think his coaching style fits the current roster well. There are others on this list that i'm less familiar with that could be excellent choices too.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, brownky said:

I don't know why people want Babcock. He's entirely overrated from 'winning' it with a team that was not going to lose.

And he's a toxic POS.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2021/01/mike-babcock-talks-about-allegations-of-abuse

TL;DR: "I learned nothing and it's their fault for being soft".

Such an arrogant and stubborn pr*** who has absolutely no insight into his actions or the effect it has on other people.

41 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Wouldn't mind Babcock at all, he would hold everyone responsible.

Yeah, everyone but himself.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, CanuckleHorse said:

I remember seeing this long ago and how he seemed to be blackballed almost but is he really a good coach?  Positive attention is great but if he wouldn't translate to wins is it worth it?  If he's the best option we could get I am 100% for getting him if he could coach wins out of this group.

• Thanks 1