The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEBATE] Who will be the next coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

Rate this topic

Elias Pettersson

Who will be the next coach of the Vancouver Canucks?  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Hardly the same. Read the article about Babs.  You may consider Green incompetent, but there is no indication that he's abusive.

At this point  Green & friends seems to be out of ideas cause everything they do just makes the whole situation worst.  The pitfall, of hiring a coach that has no NHL experience.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

38 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

1) He’s one of the greatest coaches in NHL history.

2) I think he has learned from the Kyle Beach incident.

On what basis do you think he's learned? The fact that that coward finally had to face the consequences of his actions and was forced to apologize? 

There is no kiss and make up for ruining someone's life.

Quenneville's legacy is completely tainted and he should never be allowed near a leadership position again. He is a disgrace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Caboose said:

On what basis do you think he's learned? The fact that that coward finally had to face the consequences of his actions and was forced to apologize? 

There is no kiss and make up for ruining someone's life.

Quenneville's legacy is completely tainted and he should never be allowed near a leadership position again. He is a disgrace.

Agreed.   11 Years has passed.   He would’ve coached for another 10 if this matter didn’t come to light.  

He was the coach, he was well aware of what happened to beach.  He did nothing!   

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Hopefully the answer is Shaw as interim.  A new GM should have the leeway to hire their own coach.  Benning shouldn’t have any more free passes to deflect blame any more.

I think Benning is as done as done gets.  Not sure why he wasn't fired the Fall before this one: that was when all the bad contracts, trades and uneven drafting caught up with him. But, to be fair to the owner who appears to be a pretty patient guy, it's now really clear that Benning's approach has neither rebuilt the team with a good foundation nor created any short to mid-term winning.  The team really has only 2 and a half solid pieces in place: Hughes, Horvat and probably Boeser. (What Pettersson did for a contract and what he's doing on the ice kind of suggest where this is going.)   I keep seeing Beagle and Roussel mugging opponents and Louis Player Name sweat-less face every time I look down the bench.  We're going to be haunted by his decisions for years.  ... And Juolevi drafted in place of Sergachev... and Lind gone...  And those missing first and second round picks... 

• Upvote 1

I have NOT been on the "Fire Green" band wagon because I've always believed that the on ice performance is always on the players themselves. But it is obvious that there is truly something wrong with the atmosphere on this team. And, because the entire team can't be fired, I believe it is time for the coach to go. Management needs to make a show that they care about the team and the least they can do is replace Green, who may or may not be a good coach, with someone with a proven track record of success and team building.

6 hours ago, whcanuck said:

Omg could you imagine Dale Hunter coming here? He’d have no use for 60% of the roster haha 

He coached Horvat, and turned a puny little kid, into one of the best two-way wingers in league today.

5 hours ago, McBackup said:

If they do make a change its 

I'm not saying no to Ted Nolan outright but if they hire him it should be because he's the best candidate, not for marketing purposes.

He’s record as an NHL coach is very good I never meant for it to be about his race just that it would be good pr.

7 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Sounds like Green and his refusal to take responsibility for the team not being ready to play, and his insistence on playing useless AHL trash.

It is not Green's job to get the players ready to play, that is the player's job.

Hack on Green for being a line blender, a poor strategist and many of his other faults; but it remains the players job to be ready to go.

That is part of why they get the big bucks.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

It is not Green's job to get the players ready to play, that is the player's job.

Hack on Green for being a line blender, a poor strategist and many of his other faults; but it remains the players job to be ready to go.

And if they're not ready to play, it's Green's job to whip them into shape. Unless you think firing the whole team is the answer.

13 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

And if they're not ready to play, it's Green's job to whip them into shape. Unless you think firing the whole team is the answer.

If they aren't ready to play, it is up to Green to sit them out or the  g.m to move them along.

22 minutes ago, gurn said:

Both Green and the players are at fault for that.  Most coaches are capable of being inspirational and getting the team amped up though.  There are many ways a coach can influence the game, and unfortunately Green is poor at all of them.

Edited by King Heffy

10 hours ago, gameburn said:

I think Benning is as done as done gets.  Not sure why he wasn't fired the Fall before this one: that was when all the bad contracts, trades and uneven drafting caught up with him. But, to be fair to the owner who appears to be a pretty patient guy, it's now really clear that Benning's approach has neither rebuilt the team with a good foundation nor created any short to mid-term winning.  The team really has only 2 and a half solid pieces in place: Hughes, Horvat and probably Boeser. (What Pettersson did for a contract and what he's doing on the ice kind of suggest where this is going.)   I keep seeing Beagle and Roussel mugging opponents and Louis Player Name sweat-less face every time I look down the bench.  We're going to be haunted by his decisions for years.  ... And Juolevi drafted in place of Sergachev... and Lind gone...  And those missing first and second round picks... 

you are right on the money.  It was last offseason where he completely crapped the bed.

We had great buzz around the league and our players had a good feeling.  We should have been able to leverage that for value signings, we just needed to clear the terrible cap mess.

Last year Benning said he wouldn’t trade a 1st or 2nd pick to ditch salary.  He did it the next year though… so that was a stupid position to take.

We could have kept Toffoli and picked up a decent UFA D (or signed Tanev)… and built on that bubble success rather than having it all fall apart.

12 hours ago, Provost said:

We could have kept Toffoli and picked up a decent UFA D (or signed Tanev)… and built on that bubble success rather than having it all fall apart.

This!!! I was soo hoping JB would have made the decision to keep Toffoli and find a way to sign Tanev.   Tanev would have been a great pairing with Hughs.  But I was always a homer for Tanev.  He isn't flashy, doesn't put up points but he is a smart stay at home D, that is always putting his all in.   I was livid when we didn't resign him and he went to stupid Calgary.