The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Potential Benning Replacements?

Rate this topic

PetterssonOrPeterson

51 minutes ago, BureBurrito said:

Everyone is thinking way too big with this. This is Aqua as owner...they have not spent on their front office properly and cut every corner. Their circle is very small.

The shortlist will be:

- Sedins

- Lombardi (he'll say no)

- Geoff Courtnall

- Igor Larionov

- Mike Gillis (they'll ask, and he'll say autonomy or forget it)

- Ryan Johnson

- Robert Esche 

- Jeff Gorton (really slim to nil chance he'll take it)

- Jim Rutherford (see above)

- A fired GM this season

No way Bowman, McFarland or any other bright GM will ever work with Aqua's guidance.

Sedins? No. Two men, twice the salary. Lombardi? No. Stick to football, he has a trophy there with the same last name. Larionov? No. No more player agents please. Gillis? No. Check above reason. Ryan Johnson? No. Hire him to coach faceoffs, he was great at it. Jeff Gorton? No. Not till he loses the T and gains a D. Stupid name anyways. Jim Rutherford? No. Same first name as JB, bad carma. Bowman? Yes. If your talking Scotty.  Power is out, I'm bored. 

Edited by rekker

38 minutes ago, BureBurrito said:

Everyone is thinking way too big with this. This is Aqua as owner...they have not spent on their front office properly and cut every corner. Their circle is very small.

The shortlist will be:

- Sedins

- Lombardi (he'll say no)

- Geoff Courtnall

- Igor Larionov

- Mike Gillis (they'll ask, and he'll say autonomy or forget it)

- Ryan Johnson

- Robert Esche 

- Jeff Gorton (really slim to nil chance he'll take it)

- Jim Rutherford (see above)

- A fired GM this season

No way Bowman, McFarland or any other bright GM will ever work with Aqua's guidance.

I think it’s a year or two too soon for Ryan Johnson, but I do think he’ll be an NHL GM one day, possibly here, in some sort of tandem with the Sedins (or possibly with the twins working above him as co-Presidents of Hockey Ops).

I’m not sure I’d choose that leadership group for right now, however.

Just not enough total experience between them or proven track record in senior NHL management.

But I would be fine with that group taking an interim role, if Benning was fired mid-season.

I’d also keep Chris Gear and John Wall as part of the interim hockey ops staff, at least until the next GM came in, and built his management team.

2 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

I’d see if we could get Dean Lombardi out of Philly.  He’s an Executive for the Flyers but maybe he’d be interested in getting another kick at the can as a GM.  MacFarland is a good choice as well (as the OP points out).

Lombardi was offered the job before and declined it… he has no interest in working for Aquaman 

2 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

are you one of the fools happy with where this team is at right now? 

Never once did I condemn Benning for the Miller trade.

I'm not going to point out every single good/bad move GMJB has done.

The overall consensus of opinion from Canuck fans is that we need a change that starts from the top. I also happen to agree with that.

But yeah, keep assuming moron.

are you on something? you just contradicted yourself.. and your calling me a moron? genius... 

4 minutes ago, CarbonNaded said:

People keep acting like we can just hire whoever when in reality nobody with half a brain has any interest in working for a terrible ownership group…. This organization is toast until something changes up top 

Not sure why they are thought of as bad myself

Give them a plan and they will spend to the max and be patient with you

Maybe some may have had reservations before, with quick hires and fires

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, CarbonNaded said:

People keep acting like we can just hire whoever when in reality nobody with half a brain has any interest in working for a terrible ownership group…. This organization is toast until something changes up top 

andddd that's the same as  a lot of players in the NHL wouldn't want to play here because of the fans, first time I realized it was JR but with the riots, fire Benning campaign that was so embarrassing are a couple of reasons but I wouldn't either and the media is even worse, bush league at best...

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

are you on something? you just contradicted yourself.. and your calling me a moron? genius... 

tell me how i contradicted myself when i never specifically pointed out the miller trade being a "bad" Benning move. In fact, was all for it. 

Not every move involving draft picks that Benning made resulted in a "negative" transaction. The JT Miller deal being a prime example. However, it's been a pretty common complaint that Benning does add those unnecessary sweetener picks in some of the moves that he makes. 

So yes, you are a moron. Cut it with the assumptions. 

Edited by PetterssonOrPeterson

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Colarado AGM Chris MacFarland. He's been credited in playing a part in the Avs resurgence from the bottom of the league to a contending team. 

Id still want a president though. An experienced one at that.

I could get behind having a President as well.  But the President would have to be an executive, not the Linden version which was more like co-GM's (one experienced and one not). Somebody who would baby sit the owner and let the GM do his job.

• Cheers 1

I will laugh if someone brings up Jim Rutherford. Go to the HF Boards thread and see what people had to say when he was hired by the Penguins. It was laughter and shock at such an incompetent hire. I will try and find the thread.

But after he won the 2nd cup, everyone thinks he's one of the best managers out there. ol Jimmy Rutherford did throw some sh*t against the wall and it sticked. Having Sidney Crosby makes you look like a genius. That's what all GM's do.

There is no science behind it. They are all doing the same thing. They all make good and bad deals and have good or bad luck.

I'd rather stick with the devil we know for now.

Here is an article about the pre cup Rutherford

If you didn’t think a Good Old Boys' Club still existed in the National Hockey League, you were disabused of that thought Friday when the Pittsburgh Penguins hired Jim Rutherford as their new general manager.

The Penguins fired a smart man in Ray Shero and replaced him with a worn out old tire in Rutherford, whose Carolina Hurricanes teams missed the playoffs the final five seasons on his watch, seven of the previous eight and nine of the last 11.

Let’s toss Rutherford the one biscuit that has propped up his resume these last eight years: His Hurricanes won the Stanley Cup in 2006, beating an Edmonton Oilers team that didn’t have its No. 1 goalie (Dwayne Roloson) for the final six games.

The NHL is still a league you can upwardly fail in, hence the Rutherford-Penguins marriage. Think about it: The Penguins, on Friday, chose a man who could not take his own team to the playoffs the last five years over a man (Shero) who took his teams to the playoffs easily the last six years, with one Stanley Cup victory and one tough Cup Final loss the previous year to Detroit.

Rutherford said he will spend a lot of that potential time training underlings how to succeed him in the best way.

Supply your own punchline.

Edited by MaxVerstappen33

1 hour ago, #Canucks said:

Stan is not Scotty & Scotty is not Stan Lol

2 hours ago, thundernuts said:

Stan Bowman be like "Even now, my Dad steals my credit"

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Whoopsies.

Still he's been with the Hawks since 2008/09 as a advisor. I doubt he even considers another opportunity at 88.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

tell me how i contradicted myself when i never specifically pointed out the miller trade being a "bad" Benning move. In fact, was all for it. 

Not every move involving draft picks that Benning made resulted in a "negative" transaction. The JT Miller deal being a prime example. However, it's been a pretty common complaint that Benning does add those unnecessary sweetener picks in some of the moves that he makes. 

So yes, you are a moron. Cut it with the assumptions. 

ok so why would you agree with it then? that's the contradiction, if you really  didn't have a problem then you'd be fine with it but your not... obviously..

33 minutes ago, CarbonNaded said:

Sad but true. Appointing a coach themselves and stripping Gillis of all autonomy in his final year, kiboshing the Kesler trade to Pittsburgh, forcing a "rebuild on the fly" plan that was never going to work on the Linden/Benning regime and chasing Linden out when he decided it wasn't working, cutting corners everywhere, including coaching, insisting that everyone within the organization is a spineless Yes-man.

This franchise is never going to get back on track as long as we have the same ownership, unless Aqua magically has a massive change of heart overnight. 

4 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

I will laugh if someone brings up Jim Rutherford. Go to the HF Boards thread and see what people had to say when he was hired by the Penguins. It was laughter and shock at such an incompetent hire. I will try and find the thread.

But after he won the cup, everyone thinks he's one of the best managers out there. ol Jimmy Rutherford did throw some sh*t against the wall and it sticked. Having Sidney Crosby makes you look like a genius. That's what all GM's do.

There is no science behind it. They are all doing the same thing. They all make good and bad deals and have good or bad luck.

I'd rather stick with the devil we know for now.

Wasn't the reason he left because he wanted to rebuild? Hextall and Burke made it clear they are in win-now mode. All penguins media speak very highly of him and feel he's gonna get another job.

Rutherford reportedly wants a president spot over a GM one. Probably better suits him.

I personally would have someone like MacFarland as GM and look for an experienced guy for president.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Wasn't the reason he left because he wanted to rebuild? Hextall and Burke made it clear they are in win-now mode. All penguins media speak very highly of him and feel he's gonna get another job.

Rutherford reportedly wants a president spot over a GM one. Probably better suits him.

I personally would have someone like MacFarland as GM and look for an experienced guy for president.

I have no idea why he left. I just know that before his Penguins cup, he was considered a total joke of a GM. I added an article about him to my post from 2014

Just now, iceman64 said:

ok so why would you agree with it then? that's the contradiction, if you really  didn't have a problem then you'd be fine with it but your not... obviously..

dude. I'm not condemning Benning for literally every single trade he makes. He makes good trades and bad trades like any other GM and yes, trades do involve picks a lot of the time. did I mention the JT miller trade being a bad move? No. 

It's pretty evident that Benning makes pretty spontaneous transactions, none more clearly as shown than through his FA signings, that did end up negatively impacting this team. It's also literally been complained about by fans that Benning adds too many sweetener picks to get deals done, when we probably could've kept them. Ferraro was even on air saying that.

If we had a more calculative manager (who I think is MacFarland) that believes in drafting developing as well as making smart trades to improve the team. Who knows? Maybe we don't give up that extra draft pick to acquire a Gudbranson. Maybe we don't sign a Roussel and Beagle to $3million AAV's each that end up contributing to screwing over this team. 

I'm talking about overall. Meaning, in general. 

What do you not understand about that? 

If you really thought that I was saying that I expect/expected Benning and any other GM to keep literally ALL his draft picks for 8 years, then you are delusional.

I'm not explaining it any further to you. Learn how to comprehend more.