The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Potential Benning Replacements?

Rate this topic

PetterssonOrPeterson

4 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

One candidate that I have in mind is the current AGM for the Avalanche in Chris MacFarland. 

Great idea....  now, the reason that we shouldn't fire Benning right now is because we won't be able to hire Chris MacFarland in the middle of the season.  

I'm as frustrated as the rest of the fanbase, but it makes absolutely no sense to let go of Benning right now.  No team and no assistant GM is going to accept an offer in the middle of the season.  

Chris MacFarland does sound like a very promising candidate.  

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

That's why I think we would need an experienced president. MacFarland seems like he would excel in a background/behind the scenes role and the president can be the front man. MacFarland could be a good front guy/leader for all I know but when you have Sakic you'll probably never get that opportunity to show it.

MacFarland has taken interviews in recent years for GM roles. He wants the opportunity. He'll probably get one sooner than later.

Rutherford wants back in some capacity. It's been reported that he'd prefer a president of hockey ops spot.

A combo of Rutherford and MacFarland?

I would be ok with that. I also think Jeff Gorton should be on the short list.

• Like 1

Just now, VancouverHabitant said:

Great idea....  now, the reason that we shouldn't fire Benning right now is because we won't be able to hire Chris MacFarland in the middle of the season.  

I'm as frustrated as the rest of the fanbase, but it makes absolutely no sense to let go of Benning right now.  No team and no assistant GM is going to accept an offer in the middle of the season.  

We could interim it and hire a president now though if we so desired.

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

That’s why you hire a PoHO now who can also serve as interim GM while he conducts an exhaustive search for a GM.

Shaw as interim coach would be fine too with new assistants. Let the new long term GM hire the next long term coach.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Quantum said:

Dean Lombardi has continually rejected offers to work for the Canucks for years. They tried poaching him out of LA after they fired Gillis and then tried to get him after Linden was fired. Lombardi has made it very clear that he'll never work for the Aquilini's and I don't blame him.

MacFarland would be my pick for GM. He seems next in line for a GM job. I also do like the idea of Gilman returning as GM, we may need his cap wizardry to get out of our d-core problems.

If Benning and Weisbrod are fired by the end of the week, I expect Chris Gear will be the interim GM until they hire someone full time later in the season.

If by Gilman’s “cap wizardy” you mean no trade and no move clauses for everyone and their dog, I say no thank you. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

That’s why you hire a PoHO now who can also serve as interim GM while he conducts an exhaustive search for a GM.

Shaw as interim coach would be fine too with new assistants. Let the new long term GM hire the next long term coach.

So who would be this President of Hockey Operations?  You would be hiring someone in a rush and trusting him to make trades for the rest of this year.  

I'd prefer to just ride out the rest of the year with Shaw as an interim head coach, see what happens and then find a new GM in the off-season with a clean slate.  As someone mentioned, keep Chris Gear as he's done a good job with the contracts.  

I'll agree to disagree with you on this one. 

21 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Agreed.

It's too bad we would have to wait for any potential management change but it makes me think, does that also tie into the coaching?

For instance, if we make a coaching change in the middle of the season, a new GM might not want the replacement to be behind the bench to begin with.

In that case, maybe it would more likely be an interim for the rest of the season like a Shaw...etc.

Things are a mess.

57 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This is the course which I would take

26 minutes ago, BureBurrito said:

They're simply not Bowman (2008 version; Bowman would never sign in Vancity with Hawks ties) nor McFarland (Sakic won't let him go to Vancity).

I don't think Sakic will tie him down. It's not like he's Sakic's slave lol.

MacFarland also probably wants a promotion but he's not getting that in Colorado. If the Canucks get permission to talk with him, there could be a scenario where he could be hired in the offseason. 

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

So who would be this President of Hockey Operations?  You would be hiring someone in a rush and trusting him to make trades for the rest of this year.  

I'd prefer to just ride out the rest of the year with Shaw as an interim head coach, see what happens and then find a new GM in the off-season with a clean slate.  As someone mentioned, keep Chris Gear as he's done a good job with the contracts.  

I'll agree to disagree with you on this one. 

Hire Jim Rutherford. He apparently would prefer a PoHO job but could serve as interim GM in the meantime. Instant organizational credibility. The roster needs to be evaluated with Shaw as interim coach before any trades are made.

PoHO does a comprehensive search and finds a long term GM, long term GM evaluates coaching and hires his staff in the summer.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Hire Jim Rutherford. He apparently would prefer a PoHO job but could serve as interim GM in the meantime. Instant organizational credibility. The roster needs to be evaluated with Shaw as interim coach before any trades are made.

PoHO does a comprehensive search and finds a long term GM, long term GM evaluates coaching and hires his staff in the summer.

Now if only Francesco could see this -_-

24 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Now if only Francesco could see this -_-

Good concept but FA is still chasing the play-offs as a present for his father Luigi. His father is 83 and wants a SC very much  ..... I admire that to a degree byt a lot of people are suffering as a result

Edited by Fred65

7 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Good concept but FA is still chasing the play-offs as a present for his father Luigi. His father is 83 and wants a SC very much  ..... I admire that to a degree byt a lot of people are suffering as a result

Then he needs to fire Benning, Weisbrod, and Green now. Cause it ain’t happening with them in charge.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1