The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Potential Benning Replacements?

Rate this topic

PetterssonOrPeterson

5 hours ago, Lil B From The Pack said:

Weisbrod will be the next guy. He's a yes man and he drafted Dwight Howard!

Weisbrod being GM will be worst than Benning, mark my word. I remember he got fired in calgary because he was incompetent over handling of an offersheet. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Maddogy said:

I'm not for firing J.B. at this point. If ownership is ready though they may ask J.B. to stay as president. J.B. has a good relationship with ownership. 

what would be the point of that?

4 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

If by Gilman’s “cap wizardy” you mean no trade and no move clauses for everyone and their dog, I say no thank you. 

Must be something to that approach, since it’s the one aspect of Gilman’s contract work that Benning shamelessly copied. ;) 

(It’s gotten better, but as recently as a year ago, the Canucks actually carried more NTC/NMCs than any other team in the league. It’s arguable that Benning was even more liberal in handing them out than Gilman. And unlike Gilman, they often failed to secure any significant cap savings.)

Dean Lombardi is the most likely candidate.

Rumour was Aquilini already reached out to him once about replacing Linden. He had already committed to Philly at that point though.

He would be the perfect replacement IMO. He oversaw a rebuild in LA after years of not making the playoffs and won two Stanley Cups.

Clearly he knows how to right a ship and is also well respected around the league.

Based on the coaches he’s had I could see him hiring either Julien or Babcock.

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

tell me how i contradicted myself when i never specifically pointed out the miller trade being a "bad" Benning move. In fact, was all for it. 

Not every move involving draft picks that Benning made resulted in a "negative" transaction. The JT Miller deal being a prime example. However, it's been a pretty common complaint that Benning does add those unnecessary sweetener picks in some of the moves that he makes. 

So yes, you are a moron. Cut it with the assumptions. 

dude.. tell me what YOU would say if it was you reading this statement in what you said and that's why I asked if you were one of the people who went on the JT Miller trade? and YOU know where that was leading.. you obviously said your following everything and the fire JB has gotten around picks so with that said why do you think I asked that in the first place? how would you see it any other way? 

"Not to mention, being responsible for scouting he is experienced in the draft and develop method while keeping draft picks" 

I'm really concerned about the direction this team is still going in (again) and convinced that it just doesn't matter who the GM of this team is at this point as the problems start with ownership. The Aquilini's constant pressure to try to win short term  has driven every management change since they've been owners. And that's not a good thing.

It's textbook stuff really. This owner doesn't hire people who would tell him where to go and to stay out of the way but rather hires people whom will let him look over their shoulder and play with his toy. There's a reason why guys like Gillis and Linden were fired and it's not a coincidence that this team has primarily hired either first time GM's/ coaches or recycled and washed up GM's/Coaches looking for their last kick at the can. These GM's/Coaches are more than willing to tow the ownership line to continue this endless cycle we seem to be on. Highly qualified candidates being discussed here would likely know all about the how the owners here run this team and I believe wouldn't be interested in working for them.

Look at Ken Holland and Dave Tippet in Edmonton. Does anyone believe Holland would have gone there if Katz continued the run the team like Aquilini does?  I don't. So we're in this perpetual cycle of retooling asap with no real long term sustainability. I get that we don't want to become the Oilers or the Sens with perpetual losing seasons. But I do want hope. In the few years the JB has retooled (again) with complete lack of success, Anaheim and the Kings have gone from the top of the league to the bottom but have already built up solid rosters of really top young players with solid vets and have already passed us in terms of rebuilding.  AND both teams have really strong prospect pools in the pipeline.

I love this team. I watch every game. I don't get hung up on individual losses or losing streaks. But I'm becoming increasingly saddened and demoralized simply because I've seen this same movie play out over the years with this team and ownership.

Until the owner is willing to hire someone who will run the show without ownership interference, this movie will repeat over and over. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Rumour was Aquilini already reached out to him once about replacing Linden. He had already committed to Philly at that point though.

He would be the perfect replacement IMO. He oversaw a rebuild in LA after years of not making the playoffs and won two Stanley Cups.

Clearly he knows how to right a ship and is also well respected around the league.

Yup.

Was thinking of him as well.  Let him take the reins and shape the team as he see fits.  Might require trading some fan favorites and more time to "rebuild".  Honestly wouldn't mind having a lottery picks to get Wright or Bedard. 

As good as EP40 is, I don't think he's a generational talent that can dominate a game.

I thought the rumour was Lombardi wanted nothing to do with Aquas supposed meddling. 

I think he’s be the best candidate as well, although I don’t know how he’s supposed to salvage this season other than possibly hiring a different coach which Benning SHOULD be capable of doing if Aqua is on board, honestly at this point who tf knows who’s pulling who’s strings.

12 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Must be something to that approach, since it’s the one aspect of Gilman’s contract work that Benning shamelessly copied. ;) 

(It’s gotten better, but as recently as a year ago, the Canucks actually carried more NTC/NMCs than any other team in the league. It’s arguable that Benning was even more liberal in handing them out than Gilman. And unlike Gilman, they often failed to secure any significant cap savings.)

Gilman’s were full NMC/NTC Benning has mostly only offered limited and very limited NTC. 

13 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Weisbrod being GM will be worst than Benning, mark my word. I remember he got fired in calgary because he was incompetent over handling of an offersheet. 

Yeah but he drafted Dwight Howard AND fired that fraud Doc Rivers!

But if you ask me I think hockey is way below his pay grade. He should be managing Barcelona or PSG if you ask me.

12 hours ago, DeNiro said:

He's be nice, but hasn't he already refused this franchise once because he didn't want to work for the Aquilinis?