Doogie

Proposal 1:

To Van 

2022 1st Round Pick

2023 1st Round Pick

Ty Smith 

Siegenthaler 

Why Vancouver does this:

The return for Hughes would fill the third pairing LD and Second pairing RD while also adding two first round draft picks for the next trade. 

To Devils

Hughes 

Why the Devils do this:

The opportunity to have all three Hughes on the team (at a premium) but also adding Hughes offensive talents. 

Proposal 2 

To Van 

Chychrun 

Why Vancouver does this:

They shed Myers contract while adding a great two-way defender for second pairing LD. 

To Coyotes 

2022 1st Round Pick (Devils)

2022 1st Round Pick (Van)

2023 2nd round Pick (Van) 

Myers 

Rathbone

Why the coyotes do this? 
The coyotes add 2 more first round picks in the upcoming Shane Wright draft. While also adding a serviceable D in Myers and a young LD with potential in Rathbone not to mention a second round draft pick in the upcoming draft.

Proposal 3 

To Van

Cernak

2022 3rd Round Pick 

Why Vancouver does this:

They add Cernak. 

To Tampa

2023 1st Round Pick (Devils)

Hamonic

Woo

Why Tampa does this:

Add a good stay at home defender in Hamonic, plus futures in Woo (eventual Hamonic replacement) and a 1st round draft pick. 

OEL - Cernak

Chychrun - Smyth 

Siegenthaler - Poolman 

Edited by Doogie
  • Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

Why does TB trade Cernak?  Also I doubt the guys on the team view management any better if they trade Hughes for picks and lesser guys after they just signed Quinn to be a cornerstone offensive guy.  What message does that send to the team?  

I like Chychrun but might prefer him for Hughes instead of trading multiple assets.

9 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Why does TB trade Cernak?  Also I doubt the guys on the team view management any better if they trade Hughes for picks and lesser guys after they just signed Quinn to be a cornerstone offensive guy.  What message does that send to the team?  

I like Chychrun but might prefer him for Hughes instead of trading multiple assets.

I think Hughes hasn't played that badly myself this season (unlike the other contract holdout).  But maybe it's just me.

1 hour ago, Doogie said:

Proposal 1:

To Van 

2022 1st Round Pick

2023 1st Round Pick

Ty Smith 

Siegenthaler 

Why Vancouver does this:

The return for Hughes would fill the third pairing LD and Second pairing RD while also adding two first round draft picks for the next trade. 

To Devils

Hughes 

Why the Devils do this:

The opportunity to have all three Hughes on the team (at a premium) but also adding Hughes offensive talents. 

Proposal 2 

To Van 

Chychrun 

Why Vancouver does this:

They shed Myers contract while adding a great two-way defender for second pairing LD. 

To Coyotes 

Myers 

Rathbone

Why the coyotes do this? 
The coyotes add 2 more first round picks in the upcoming Shane Wright draft. While also adding a serviceable D in Myers and a young LD with potential in Rathbone not to mention a second round draft pick in the upcoming draft.

Proposal 3 

To Van

Cernak

2022 3rd Round Pick 

Why Vancouver does this:

They add Cernak. 

To Tampa

Hamonic

Woo

Why Tampa does this:

Add a good stay at home defender in Hamonic, plus futures in Woo (eventual Hamonic replacement) and a 1st round draft pick. 

OEL - Cernak

Chychrun - Smyth 

Siegenthaler - Poolman 

Is your name actually Doobie? It would make sense then. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Doogie said:

Proposal 1:

To Van 

2022 1st Round Pick

2023 1st Round Pick

Ty Smith 

Siegenthaler 

Why Vancouver does this:

To Devils

Hughes 

Why the Devils do this:

Proposal 2 

To Van 

Chychrun 

Why Vancouver does this:

To Coyotes 

Myers 

Rathbone

Why the coyotes do this? 

Proposal 3 

To Van

Cernak

2022 3rd Round Pick 

Why Vancouver does this:

They add Cernak. 

To Tampa

Hamonic

Woo

Why Tampa does this:

OEL - Cernak

Chychrun - Smyth 

Siegenthaler - Poolman 

So unrealistic. Why would arizona trade Chychurun? Why would Canucks trade Hughes for Ty Smith? Doesnt even make sense.

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I think Hughes hasn't played that badly myself this season (unlike the other contract holdout).  But maybe it's just me.

Hughes and OEL are the only ones that are decent and Hughes is needed because he provides the most offense. Anyone trading Hughes is out of their mind. I would not trade him unless its for Makar or Fox or Hedman.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Fixing our D needs to be a long term solution. We don't have many young assets or draft picks as Jimmy has traded alot of those away. I knew our blue line was in trouble before the season started. Hughes and OEL are fine, Myers is holding his own at times but the rest of our D core are fringe NHLers (Burroughs, Poolman, Hunt, Schenn, Rathbone). We have one of the highest paid bluelines in the league and they are the worst defensively....not a good sign. People will defend Jim aggressively on here, but we've been rebuilding for 8 years and still can't compete and we all knew this blue line was not good enough heading into the season. Yes this team is way underperforming offensively, but defensively I am not surprised at all. 

14 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I agree, he's looked better.  My thinking is that (outside the OEL Myers pair which has been solid), we don't really have other strong defenders that can hold down the fort while Quinn roves up ice without us giving up a scoring chance in our end.  That will be even more true in the post-season, since as elite as Quinn's puck-moving is, we could really use some shoring up defensively after the past couple of games (granted it'll take a system change, but I digress at this point).  Chychrun stands at 6'2", 210 lbs, and put up 41 points in 56 games last season with competent teammates so by no means is he chopped liver, and seeing how we've somewhat recouped value for OEL I think there's potential for a major steal if we can get him (not to mention how much stronger our defense would look):

OEL - Myers (don't fix one of the few things that ain't broken)
Chychrun - Hamonic (on paper at least this looks like a strong defensive pair)
Rathbone - Poolman (I'd be okay with an offensive oriented guy like Rath as long as there's bigger and defensive minded guys above to shelter him)

Going back to the playoff point, contenders (TB, NYI, VGK to name a few) typically have sizeable and mobile defenses that can play different games, whereas I just don't know if Quinn will hold up long term (even Boston when they had Torey Krug had other big guys who played defense around him, and their unit as a whole isn't nearly as porous as we are).

• Cheers 1

On 11/15/2021 at 7:59 PM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

It's not just you, Hughes has been just fine. I'm looking forward to 5 more years in a Canuck uniform. 

OP you have proposed one of the least likely sequence of events, but it's okay to dream.