Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Blight for Wright - Canucks already at less than 10% chance to make the playoffs

Rate this topic


Provost

Recommended Posts

I'm not putting it past Benning to trade our 1st away for the third year in a row to save his job just like he did in 2020. The 1st is written off in my head and will be a pleasant surprise if it's there by TDL

Edited by DSVII
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s just like every other year. Parity and loser points will convince the team they are still in it until the end when they will magically start winning games once eliminated to &^@# their draft odds.

 

Honestly, seen this movie too many times now. Fire Benning, Weisbrod, Green, and any assistants not named Shaw or Clark and put competent people in charge who can have an actual plan that isn’t this:

 

Calm Down Kevin Bacon GIF by Puffin Graphic Design

  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, DSVII said:

I'm not putting it past Benning to trade our 1st away for the third year in a row to save his job just like he did in 2020. The 1st is written off in my head and will be a pleasant surprise if it's there by TDL

... and not lottery protected of course just to give us more stress when the draft lottery is happening :D

I mean it is pretty Canucks like to finally win the lottery when we have traded away our pick.

I am not angry anymore, just getting apathetic like it felt during the Messier years when we had teams that looked decent on paper but just had no heart or identity to rally around.  I can take losing (I have been a fan since the 80's), but the way you lose matters>

 

  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

I read somewhere on the internet that Canucks would need to win about 40 games to make the playoffs. 

 

Highly unlikely unless they are the second coming of the St Louis Blues. 

Blues were being undone largely by goaltending. There was a magic bullet to fix that.

 

Our goaltending has been mostly excellent. Coaching is 90% of the problem, IMO. Whether it’s the direction itself, or the players tuning it out…doesn’t  really matter. But no established coach with a winning record is going to come here with Benning in charge, because if/when Jim gets canned then his job is up in the air too.

Edited by D-Money
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Who changed their coach iirc

 

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

Blues were being undone largely by goaltending. There was a magic bullet to fix that.

 

Our goaltending has been mostly excellent. Coaching is 90% of the problem, IMO. 

Yup.

 

Blues changed their coach (got Berube) and went on a miracle run.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BPA said:

I read somewhere on the internet that Canucks would need to win about 40 games to make the playoffs. 

 

Highly unlikely unless they are the second coming of the St Louis Blues. 

40 of our remaining 66 only gets us to 92 points.... that is lower than the playoff bar generally is.  42 wins puts us right on the fringe.  I guess if you throw in some OTL games to get a loser point we could get in with 40 more wins.

That means only 14 regulation losses the rest of the season to make the playoffs.  We have 9 in our first 16 games.

 

(edit… sorry 24 losses)

Starting to feel apathetic yet?

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

40 of our remaining 66 only gets us to 92 points.... that is lower than the playoff bar generally is.  42 wins puts us right on the fringe.  I guess if you throw in some OTL games to get a loser point we could get in with 40 more wins.

That means only 14 regulation losses the rest of the season to make the playoffs.  We have 9 in our first 16 games.

Starting to feel apathetic yet?

That does not make sense. Canucks are 5-9-2, there are 66 games left. We could go 40-24-2 to finish the year at 94 points

24 regulation losses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lots of problems with this team, including:

 

- GM extended Travis, instead of finding a replacement, and has trade the last two years' 1st round picks for this

- Head Coach has a losing record and has lost the room

- Special Teams Coach doesn't know what he's doing

- Pettersson looks awful

- Horvat is a quiet Captain and the team has no identity

- Possible rift in the room (Bo and JT?)

 

I hate to say it, but I think Jim makes a big trade to shake things up.  It's a last resort before firing the GM or Coach. 

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Provost said:

... and not lottery protected of course just to give us more stress when the draft lottery is happening :D

I mean it is pretty Canucks like to finally win the lottery when we have traded away our pick.

I am not angry anymore, just getting apathetic like it felt during the Messier years when we had teams that looked decent on paper but just had no heart or identity to rally around.  I can take losing (I have been a fan since the 80's), but the way you lose matters>

 

This

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

Blow it up!

New GM and coach.

Trade Horvat, Petey, Boesser, Hughes, Miller, Garland, and Demko (mostly to give him the chance to win a cup).

 

If we are gonna suck and rebuild the rebuild might as well do it in these two upcoming strong draft.

This isn’t gm mode in NHL 22.

  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Lots of problems with this team, including:

 

- GM extended Travis, instead of finding a replacement, and has trade the last two years' 1st round picks for this

- Head Coach has a losing record and has lost the room

- Special Teams Coach doesn't know what he's doing

- Pettersson looks awful

- Horvat is a quiet Captain and the team has no identity

- Possible rift in the room (Bo and JT?)

 

I hate to say it, but I think Jim makes a big trade to shake things up.  It's a last resort before firing the GM or Coach. 

Why wouldn't firing a clearly incompetent coach be the first step before a major trade?

  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...