The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Blight for Wright - Canucks already at less than 10% chance to make the playoffs

Rate this topic

Provost

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

They can negotiate a different deal before the end of the season, what he ends up getting is up to him and management. 

I also belive that Boeser, like Pettersson, is better than he's shown. Needless to say, he won't be walking away from this team for nothing, we aren't a team that can afford to bleed assets anymore. Not that we were, but we still have.

I think Boeser will remain a Canuck. But he's not getting 8M. There's no way he's getting more than Petey. 

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I'm with you on that. I think the club needs to extend Horvat ASAP. He's the captain of the team for better or for worse. 

Bo's been good at the captaincy. It's hard being captain here in this market. Look at how intense the coverage has been from an online presence to radio waves about this team. Welcome to Vancouver, Petey, and Miller! 

I thinking looking at extension should at least be done this offseason, it'd suck to have it hanging over our heads an entire season leading up to UFA.

10 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think Boeser will remain a Canuck. But he's not getting 8M. There's no way he's getting more than Petey. 

Ehhh, it's quite possible he will. If I understand things properly his qualifying offer is 7.5M. Mind you, we could absolutely get an extension done before the offseason and we probably should. 

There's a cost to winning, teams often lose players to UFA and they go on to get paid. But there's a cost to being a mediocre losing team too, you've still got to pay your players as their careers progress. 

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I thinking looking at extension should at least be done this offseason, it'd suck to have it hanging over our heads an entire season leading up to UFA.

Ehhh, it's quite possible he will. If I understand things properly his qualifying offer is 7.5M. Mind you, we could absolutely get an extension done before the offseason and we probably should. 

There's a cost to winning, teams often lose players to UFA and they go on to get paid. But there's a cost to being a mediocre losing team too, you've still got to pay your players as their careers progress. 

I'm not confident that this management team can get those deals done before the season. 

The thing between Gillis and Benning. Gillis was able to sell to his players to take discounts to make a championship team. He almost got them there. 

Benning doesn't strike me as someone who can convince the players on the current roster to take a discount to make a championship team. He's had 8 years at the helm, and he's not much closer to icing a championship contending team than when he started 8 years ago. 

The team doesn't have enough room to sign Miller to 7M, Bo to 7M, Boeser to 8M, etc. 

Someone's gotta take a cut, or we need to trade someone from one of those three. 

6 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I'm not confident that this management team can get those deals done before the season. 

The thing between Gillis and Benning. Gillis was able to sell to his players to take discounts to make a championship team. He almost got them there. 

Benning doesn't strike me as someone who can convince the players on the current roster to take a discount to make a championship team. He's had 8 years at the helm, and he's not much closer to icing a championship contending team than when he started 8 years ago. 

The team doesn't have enough room to sign Miller to 7M, Bo to 7M, Boeser to 8M, etc. 

Someone's gotta take a cut, or we need to trade someone from one of those three. 

I dunno, the contracts have gotten better as of late. I'd say Garland and Poolman are fair value, though Garland's been a bit more quiet lately. Hughes could end up being a steal, Petey's more concerning but I'm glad his wound up being a shorter bridge as of right now. I could see it getting done, I hope it does.

You're right though, something's going to have to give. Petey, Brock, Bo, JT.. you can only have so many forwards making 7M+ before it begins to hurt the rest of the roster. Something's going to have to give, particularly without the cap rising as it once did. 

2 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

At this point I think that is the sad reality for the next couple years.

Unfortunately it is probably the case that when/if we get a new management team it will take at least 3 years before we are respectable again.

There are no white knights coming down the prospect pipeline that are likely top of the lineup players.  Rathbone, DiPietro, and Woo are the best bets to make the NHL... but none of them are can't miss blue chip guys.  We have a few others that "may" become every day NHLers but probably at the bottom of the lineup.

We have no cap space coming up, and our best value contracts will need to be renewed in the near future.  Hoglander, Horvat, and Miller are all outplaying their cap hits.... replacing them or re-signing them will cost us more than any expected increase in the cap over the short term.

There is no magic bullet like changing the coach that is going to suddenly turn this roster into a contender.  A better coach might be able to get an extra 5 wins out of the team at the most... not turn a team from a bottom 5 into a top 5.  There needs to be substantive changes to the actual players on the ice to make that happen.

That is probably going to have to take the form of trading some roster players while their value is high and getting a couple of blue chip prospects into the system from top 10 draft picks for the next two seasons.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Eventually one of our expensive non producing forwards will have to be moved for a defenseman, (You can't have them and another top defenseman)

I don't think that will be done until they start producing again (unless one is found to be a disturbance in the dressing room, that they have been keeping quiet about)

11 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

If he continues to struggle this season, I can't see Brock being signed for 6M. he's probably deserving more of 5-5.5M. 

Laine struggled last season and signed his qualifying offer rather than negotiate a contract.  Boeser could do the same.  He is struggling and won't get the contract he would otherwise get if he had played at his expected level.  There are also uncertainties surrounding the team and if things collapse further he might prefer having the option to move on.  

Didn't we have almost this exact thread last year by the same OP? Didn't we also have almost this extra thread the year before that by the same OP?

I get the frustration, but I'll say similar to what I said last year: this thread seems pointless to me... like less points than our team has at the moment...

Edited by The Lock

1 hour ago, mll said:

Laine struggled last season and signed his qualifying offer rather than negotiate a contract.  Boeser could do the same.  He is struggling and won't get the contract he would otherwise get if he had played at his expected level.  There are also uncertainties surrounding the team and if things collapse further he might prefer having the option to move on.  

Yeah, that's true. Boy, next season is going to be huge isn't it? Petey's last year before 2023 when he needs another contract. If the team is a mess still, would he want to come back or prefer to move on? What about Bo, Miller, Boeser? Do any of these guys actually want to remain under this current management/regime? 

Making the playoffs would help quell a lot of those questions, but you have to wonder if this current group is frustrated and disillusioned with current management. Is their play a vote of no confidence in management? 

1 hour ago, Guitargoalie said:

I know theyve been playing bad, but all they need is one hot streak and theyre right back on track again.

That literally isn't true.  As was mentioned in the OP, even if they suddenly go on a 10 game win streak (highly unlikely)... they still need to win at a higher rate for all of the remaining games in the season than they have for years.

That is why the odds are so bad, it is more than just a little slump and a little hot streak to break out of it.  We need to have a sustained rate of play amongst the best teams in the league for the rest of the season, and we need division rivals to not do that as well so we can catch up to them.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Provost said:

That literally isn't true.  As was mentioned in the OP, even if they suddenly go on a 10 game win streak (highly unlikely)... they still need to win at a higher rate for all of the remaining games in the season than they have for years.

That is why the odds are so bad, it is more than just a little slump and a little hot streak to break out of it.  We need to have a sustained rate of play amongst the best teams in the league for the rest of the season, and we need division rivals to not do that as well so we can catch up to them.

probably unlikely to happen. 

There is something broken with this team, and organization.....

• Vintage 1

On 11/16/2021 at 10:07 PM, EddieVedder said:

Wrights the best player since Mcdavid.  Boeser isnt even close.  

Not a chance. Putting Wright in the same sentence as McDavid is a bad take. In McDavid's first season he put up equivalent numbers as Wright despite being years younger. Wright is not a generational talent. 

On 11/17/2021 at 12:09 AM, N4ZZY said:

Frankly those 2 don't deserve anything close to that at this point especially Boeser. His current play deserves $4mill top if lucky. 

37 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Frankly those 2 don't deserve anything close to that at this point especially Boeser. His current play deserves $4mill top if lucky. 

The thing is, he's not going to take 4M. We all know that. 

So is he trade chip? Horvat's career best is what? 60 points? What's that worth these days? I say 6M tops, closer to 5.5-6M, maybe closer to 6.3-.6.5 MAX. 

I'm starting to think we have some overpaid players on this roster. 

Petey's career high (up to this date) is 66 points? He's being paid 7M

Bo's career high 61 points - he will want at least what he's making now so maybe closer to 6.5M +

Brock's career high is 56 points. What is that worth? Brock's probably wanting at least 6M

Miller? His career high was 72 points, in his first season with the Canucks. He's probably going to want north of what Petey's getting. So what's that? 7.5-8M? 

Benning's handling of his team's internal cap is a mess. 

51 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Not a chance. Putting Wright in the same sentence as McDavid is a bad take. In McDavid's first season he put up equivalent numbers as Wright despite being years younger. Wright is not a generational talent. 

What' is Shane Wright equivalent to? Who would be his comparable?