The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canada's Men National Football Team (Soccer)

DefCon1

Whew!

That was a great win for Canada.  But those last few minutes!  Good lord!

Had it not been for Borjan somehow making that last minute save, we'd be tied with Panama for third.

But win they did and Canada ends the year in first place in the standings.  And how many of us would have predicted that?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tre Mac said:

I remember playing FIFA on playstation and Canada wasn't even included despite the actual game being made in Canada, or losing to countries I've never heard of.  Crazy how much the footy landscape has changed in this country over the last few years.  

Screenshot_20211116-191106_Reddit.thumb.jpg.f615414bbfa713065f68fbb899808a49.jpg

And to not only win but to play an exciting offensive game.  

:gocan:

That’s just bonkers to look at. Maybe only Algeria, Japan and/or Germany will score more than Canada’s 53 after they play 18 games, in the entire world this year. Truly staggering to think about.

On 11/16/2021 at 8:46 PM, DefCon1 said:

How many games to win til we secure a spot in the world cup? 3 or 4 more wins?

Canada needs to finish ahead of one of Panama/Mexico. Those teams have six games remaining and play each other once, meaning that the most points the worse of the two teams can get is 15, which would give them 29 points. However, this would mean they both beat the US (sitting at 15 points), meaning that the US would at best go 4-0-2, giving them 27 points. 27 points seems like the magic number to guarantee qualification. Canada is at 16 points, so needs to go 4-0-2 to get above the 27 point bar or 3-2-1 to get to 27 points. 

It is still a bit of a road ahead, but this team is winning the right way and boy is it fun. 

Edited by Down by the River
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We were at 48 ranked before this game.  Beating Mexico has to put us into the 30’s.  That’s got to get us not the Big Cup.

Our world ranking has nothing to do with getting into the World Cup.  Everything depends on how we do in this last qualifying tournament.  There are eight teams in the tournament and each plays the other twice - home and away.  So each team plays fourteen games.  So far, we've played eight games.  So there are still six games to go, four of them away to other teams.   The top three teams at the end get into the World Cup.  The fourth place team has a last ditch chance in a playoff against some other team from another conference.  Canada is in a good spot but nothing is settled yet.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Canada needs to finish ahead of one of Panama/Mexico. Those teams have six games remaining and play each other once, meaning that the most points the worse of the two teams can get is 15, which would give them 29 points. However, this would mean they both beat the US (sitting at 15 points), meaning that the US would at best go 4-0-2, giving them 27 points. So, 27 points seems like the magic number to guarantee qualification. Canada is at 16 points, so needs to going 4-0-2 to get about the 27 point bar or 3-2-1 to get to 27 points. 

It is still a bit of a road ahead, but this team is winning the right way and boy is it fun. 

The remaining away matches for Canada are going to be a grind (Panama, Costa Rica, Honduras, El Salvador), but they've already drawn away against the US, Mexico, and Jamaica, so I have faith they can pull out a good result in at least a couple of those matches.

Barring catastrophe, they should be able to at least finish fourth and qualify for the inter-confederation playoff, but I'd much rather they avoid that since they could end up facing the 5th place team from South American qualifying.

1 minute ago, Brad Marchand said:

The remaining away matches for Canada are going to be a grind (Panama, Costa Rica, Honduras, El Salvador), but they've already drawn away against the US, Mexico, and Jamaica, so I have faith they can pull out a good result in at least a couple of those matches.

Barring catastrophe, they should be able to at least finish fourth and qualify for the inter-confederation playoff, but I'd much rather they avoid that since they could end up facing the 5th place team from South American qualifying.

Their last away game in Jamaica was brutal to watch; they were not very good. Hopefully a good lesson learned that they can put into practice this time around. 

Just now, DeNiro said:

Can’t say I watch a whole lot of CONCACAF soccer but was that reffing par for the course or was that more on the ridiculous side?

Seemed like that ref didn’t have control of the game from the beginning and created a bit of a circus. 

Wasn't good reffing, but was not horrible compared to a lot of other games. Search "Concacafed" on Twitter for some amusing gifs/takes. Also:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/panama-gets-concacafed-in-mexicos-win/

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Can’t say I watch a whole lot of CONCACAF soccer but was that reffing par for the course or was that more on the ridiculous side?

Seemed like that ref didn’t have control of the game from the beginning and created a bit of a circus. 

From the games I’ve watched with Canada playing it was a little biased towards Mexico this game, but for the most part missed calls go both ways pretty evenly in the end. I admit I haven’t watched any non-Canada games so it might be a different perspective compared to someone watching all games.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Down by the River said:

Wasn't good reffing, but was not horrible compared to a lot of other games. Search "Concacafed" on Twitter for some amusing gifs/takes. Also:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/panama-gets-concacafed-in-mexicos-win/

That’s what has always turned me off about soccer.

Seems like there’s some serious palm greasing going on to get certain teams in. I get that’s there’s a lot of diving in this sport that makes it tough but its seems like a lot of favouritism going on.