The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canada's Men National Football Team (Soccer)

DefCon1

51 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I remember playing FIFA on playstation and Canada wasn't even included despite the actual game being made in Canada, or losing to countries I've never heard of.  Crazy how much the footy landscape has changed in this country over the last few years.  

Screenshot_20211116-191106_Reddit.thumb.jpg.f615414bbfa713065f68fbb899808a49.jpg

And to not only win but to play an exciting offensive game.  

:gocan:

Can Canucks hire John Herdman to be the Canucks coach :lol:

This is great timing for Canada to be great again especially as we get to host the 2026 WC and we are in that one automatically. The football game will grow a lot in Canada.

49 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Whew!

That was a great win for Canada.  But those last few minutes!  Good lord!

Had it not been for Borjan somehow making that last minute save, we'd be tied with Panama for third.

But win they did and Canada ends the year in first place in the standings.  And how many of us would have predicted that?

I always thought we could beat Mexico with this roster. We almost beat Mexico in Mexico and that was a hostile environment. Also a lot of the Canadian players play in Europe so it has a positive effect on the quality of play and how they are more prepared for these games. I mean Alphonso playing in Bundesliga, one of the top league in Europe. Larin playing in Turkish Super Lig, David playing in Ligue 1, Borjan playing in Russia and Buchanen playing in Belgium, all have great impact on this team. Plus they are all young and will also be playing in WC2026. Future is bright for this team.

52 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

The remaining away matches for Canada are going to be a grind (Panama, Costa Rica, Honduras, El Salvador), but they've already drawn away against the US, Mexico, and Jamaica, so I have faith they can pull out a good result in at least a couple of those matches.

Barring catastrophe, they should be able to at least finish fourth and qualify for the inter-confederation playoff, but I'd much rather they avoid that since they could end up facing the 5th place team from South American qualifying.

We will definitely beat Honduras and El Salvador because they are not good. Costa Rica and Panama will be tough but I do believe we can beat them. Out of those 4 teams, Panama will be the key match and one that might determine who gets to be in the top 3. 

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Oh and deserves to be mentioned: Those homophobic Mexican fans whether Canadian or from their country were disgusting and disgraceful. Discrimination has no place in our country. Leave hate at home or don’t come here.

Canadian Flag GIF

Did anything happen in Edmonton that I missed? I know there were homophobic chants against certain Canadian players in Azteca stadium but didn't hear about it this game.

9 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Did anything happen in Edmonton that I missed? I know there were homophobic chants against certain Canadian players in Azteca stadium but didn't hear about it this game.

As they headed into the second half teams were issued a warning regarding homophobic chants by supporters... it wasn't explicitly mentioned which side the supporters were on, but I think everyone knew who it was. 

54 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Can’t say I watch a whole lot of CONCACAF soccer but was that reffing par for the course or was that more on the ridiculous side?

Seemed like that ref didn’t have control of the game from the beginning and created a bit of a circus. 

The one thing you'll hear a lot is there is no VAR in Concacaf for now. Sometimes it works to your advantage and sometimes it doesn't. Reffing is always spotty, but this ref seemed like one of the bad ones. Mexico deserved a yellow at least a few times. The most obvious one was when one of the Mexico players was running after I think it might've been Laryea. Anyway, the Mexico player couldn't keep up and he literally tugged hard on Laryea's jersey from behind. Laryea was the last player in the final third. That's an automatic yellow but the ref never booked him.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

As they headed into the second half teams were issued a warning regarding homophobic chants by supporters... it wasn't explicitly mentioned which side the supporters were on, but I think everyone knew who it was. 

The Sportsnet broadcast said it was the travelling Mexican fans but that might have been homerism. The "ref you suck" chants however were extremely Canadian.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DefCon1 said:

The announcers said Mexico’s fans were warned during the broadcast at half time intermission. That was probably why team Mexico still hadn’t returned to the field, which the announcers also noted live of the delay. The Mexico coach was in a heated argument with the head referee for a couple minutes over something at that same time as well. Considering this is now the 3rd time Mexico’s fans have been accused of bigotry this year alone it’s hard not to conclude which side was making ugly discriminatory chants this time. Here’s the prior history of the Mexico men’s national team fans.

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/mexico-puto-chant-world-cup-qualifiers-without-fans-153948541.html

On a similar note 2 days ago the Liga MX coach was just suspended 3 games for his homophobic and sexist discriminatory remarks at a press conference. It seems to be an ongoing problem in the country.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/soccer/news/ricardo-ferretti-mexico-coach-homophobic-press-conference/12n4ifaelzcnz1eh3lnev1njfw

If tonight again is deemed to be another instance of the homophobic chants further sanctions could be handed down by FIFA who are cracking down. They’ve already escalated to a $100,000 fine and 2 home games with no fans allowed. The Mexico soccer federation president laid out consequences that could follow beyond empty stadiums if it continues: point deductions, forfeits, or disqualification from competitions. Potentially losing involvement in the 2026 World Cup. There could be big consequences if that country doesn’t get their fans under control.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

I met Davies in the summer and he's hands down one of the nicest athletes/celebs I've ever met. This country is lucky to have him.

I must say, it would be weird to see Canada at the world cup, but in a good way! Go Canada!

I dont think it will be weird for this team and its great roster full of quality depth. We should all cheer for them to make to world cup and beyond as this team has high potential and its rare that Canada has this good of a football team.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Just throwing this out there, is there a chance that they could ever get Alphonso into a pair of track cleats. There was a point in that game that he sprinted down the field, passed a Canadian player and closed on the Mexican defender. Amazing speed straight ahead.

His goal against Panama was one of the most amazing displays of speed I have ever seen

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Just throwing this out there, is there a chance that they could ever get Alphonso into a pair of track cleats. There was a point in that game that he sprinted down the field, passed a Canadian player and closed on the Mexican defender. Amazing speed straight ahead.

That was Eustaquio.....who's no slouch himself.... but it looked like he was running in sand beside Phonsie...

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Vintage 1

Speaking of Eustaquio, I mentioned after the Costa Rica match, that I'm more and more impressed every time I see him....

The service on that set piece that resulted in Larin's second goal showed it once again. With the likes of Phonsie, David, Larin, etc., he flies a bit under the radar, but I love what he brings to the team.

Edited by RUPERTKBD

Pouring rain, my place got flooded.

Seattle Seahawks implode

BC Lions crap the bed

Canucks and Petey fall off a cliff

But this is so exciting!  Its great to have at least one sport to cheer for.  Our National  Men's Soccer team, (and Whitecaps too).

Love watching a Canadian men's team have the talent to play so offensively and aggressive. Frustrating the opposition. Too many years watching them play like the Canucks PK. Playing not to lose.

There must be some kind of way outta here
Said the joker to the thief
There's too much confusion
I can't get no relief

- Jimi H