The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canada's Men National Football Team (Soccer)

DefCon1

This is why I was getting annoyed with the announcers talking about how glad they were to see Mark Anthony Kaye in the starting lineup....talking about a "learning experience" and acting as if it was "no harm, no foul", since Canada has qualified anyway....

Except with today's result, Canada will probably end up in the 4th pot....something that likely doesn't happen if Canada gets a result (as they should have) in Costa Rica....<_<

Too bad for the loss.

But how many of us would have been disappointed a year ago to learn that the Canadian team would make it to the World Cup, finish first in the qualifying competition, but miss out on getting into the third pot?

For that matter, how many of us would have believed it?

:gocan:

3 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Too bad for the loss.

But how many of us would have been disappointed a year ago to learn that the Canadian team would make it to the World Cup, finish first in the qualifying competition, but miss out on getting into the third pot?

For that matter, how many of us would have believed it?

:gocan:

I think a lot of people had Canada fighting it out for 3rd or 4th place.  I think the tide turned when we made it through the Azteca with a result (draw).  Then beating them at home. 

Getting to the dance is great.   Finishing first is a nice bonus. 

Friday we get to see who we face.  

1st goal, 1st win, making the knockout stage.  I'd love to see all three.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

This is why I was getting annoyed with the announcers talking about how glad they were to see Mark Anthony Kaye in the starting lineup....talking about a "learning experience" and acting as if it was "no harm, no foul", since Canada has qualified anyway....

Except with today's result, Canada will probably end up in the 4th pot....something that likely doesn't happen if Canada gets a result (as they should have) in Costa Rica....<_<

Its ok, even in pot 4, we might make out ok and somehow avoid group of death. But being in pot 3 would have meant that we would at least face one lower team that would be in pot 4. Anyways, being first in Concacaf world cup qualifiers is a huge achievement and making the world cup is great. So any pot is ok with me as long as we qualified.

8 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Its ok, even in pot 4, we might make out ok and somehow avoid group of death. But being in pot 3 would have meant that we would at least face one lower team that would be in pot 4. Anyways, being first in Concacaf world cup qualifiers is a huge achievement and making the world cup is great. So any pot is ok with me as long as we qualified.

Just imagine if we had been in pot 3 and drawn Group A....that was a plausible scenario, up until last night....

New rankings are out. Canada drop 5 places to #38. A quick count shows 25 teams qualifies and ranked higher than Canada, (plus Qatar) so it's guaranteed to be Pot 4....

The US also drops, but only to #15, meaning they stay in Pot #2.....

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

New rankings are out. Canada drop 5 places to #38. A quick count shows 25 teams qualifies and ranked higher than Canada, (plus Qatar) so it's guaranteed to be Pot 4....

The US also drops, but only to #15, meaning they stay in Pot #2.....

Yep. Simulation here:

https://stattosoftware.com/wc2022/

I keep refreshing this page and, it sucks to say, guys, but it does not bode well for Canada. But I 100% want to be proven wrong. If we're grouped with Switzerland and Tunisia, we may have a chance, though. That group came up after doing maybe 20 refreshes, though. After 25 refreshes, we were placed with Brazil and Switzerland. Again, I think we may be able to eliminate Switzerland, but their players are tough as nails and quite physical. All the other simulations grouped Canada with at least two very tough countries

We are in a unique position because we know we are going to the next two World Cups, so while it's important to give it our best, this World Cup might have to be filed under "It was a good experience". I'm definitely just going to enjoy it and not have any expectations of making it pretty far

1 hour ago, Dedalus said:

Yep. Simulation here:

https://stattosoftware.com/wc2022/

I keep refreshing this page and, it sucks to say, guys, but it does not bode well for Canada. But I 100% want to be proven wrong. If we're grouped with Switzerland and Tunisia, we may have a chance, though. That group came up after doing maybe 20 refreshes, though. After 25 refreshes, we were placed with Brazil and Switzerland. Again, I think we may be able to eliminate Switzerland, but their players are tough as nails and quite physical. All the other simulations grouped Canada with at least two very tough countries

We are in a unique position because we know we are going to the next two World Cups, so while it's important to give it our best, this World Cup might have to be filed under "It was a good experience". I'm definitely just going to enjoy it and not have any expectations of making it pretty far

After refreshing four times, I got Canada in Group A with Qatar, Switzerland and Morocco....that's pretty much the dream scenario right there....

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

After refreshing four times, I got Canada in Group A with Qatar, Switzerland and Morocco....that's pretty much the dream scenario right there....

I’m so hungry for that draw tomorrow at 9AM. No fooling (happy April fools!) we are going and for the first time in my life I’m excited to see a soccer draw that I care about. My two friends are both Spanish (ones a Real fan the other Barcelona) and they always get so excited for the champions league draw. I don’t have any investment in that soccer draw but I sure do on this one. 

Sure not getting into Pot 3 stings but hopefully our ranking continues to climb up so we can improve in 2026. Pot 3, Pot 4 any pot will do for this hungry sports fan!

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Something I don't understand about the draw:

Concacaf teams are not allowed to be drawn into the same group.  So what happens if we get to the end of the draw and the US is the only team left in Pot 2 and Canada is the only team left in Pot 4.  Obviously they aren't going to redraw the whole shebang.  Any idea how they manage to ensure a situation like this doesn't occur?

3 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Something I don't understand about the draw:

Concacaf teams are not allowed to be drawn into the same group.  So what happens if we get to the end of the draw and the US is the only team left in Pot 2 and Canada is the only team left in Pot 4.  Obviously they aren't going to redraw the whole shebang.  Any idea how they manage to ensure a situation like this doesn't occur?

I believe they start at pot 1 and go down the teams alphabetically. Then a group gets chosen randomly for each team

(They don’t start with the groups then randomly choose a country)

I can’t believe thousands of people died just to build these stadiums. As a newer soccer fan I didn’t keep up with anything fifa prior. There will always be a blood stain on this World Cup.

I will enjoy the soccer, but I agree with Duthie when he said “we will enjoy and cherish the soccer, but we also must not forget the migrant worker lives lost to get here today.