The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canada's Men National Football Team (Soccer)

DefCon1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We should beat those teams, no?  If  we win that little (pot?) Would we get seeded better, or is that seeding still based on our ranking?

Belgium will be tough. Croatia and Morocco are beatable. They will most likely face Germany or Spain if they place first or second. It's not based on ranking. First plays against second of group G and vice versa.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We should beat those teams, no?  If  we win that little (pot?) Would we get seeded better, or is that seeding still based on our ranking?

Current rankings:

Belgium # 2

Croatia # 16

Morocco # 24

Canada dropped to # 38 (those 2 losses hurt).  Morocco went unbeaten in their qualification.  

The opponents for our group in the knockout round are group E  Spain, Germany, Japan, and IC Playoff 2.  

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/4ea1fe3ad03ad690/original/2022fwc_qatar_match_schedule_v29C_12012022_EN_for-international-use.pdf

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dedalus said:

My predictions for group stage winners

A: Senegal, Netherlands
B: England, USA
C: Argentina, Mexico
D: France, Denmark
E: Spain, Germany
F: Belgium, Canada (match against Croatia will be hard)
G: Brazil, Cameroon
H: Portugal, Uruguay

The match against Belgium will be very hard. I expect a couple goals from Lukaku

I actually agree with all your predictions except that I do think Croatia will make it ahead of Canada. 

1 hour ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Current rankings:

Belgium # 2

Croatia # 16

Morocco # 24

Canada dropped to # 38 (those 2 losses hurt).  Morocco went unbeaten in their qualification.  

The opponents for our group in the knockout round are group E  Spain, Germany, Japan, and IC Playoff 2.  

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/4ea1fe3ad03ad690/original/2022fwc_qatar_match_schedule_v29C_12012022_EN_for-international-use.pdf

Yeah our best case scenario outcome of this WC is to make it out of group H and play one of the heavyweights of the group of death. But having that opportunity to go up against either the Red Fury or Nationalelf would be a

feather in the cap for the sport in this country. Lots has to happen for this but the potential is there and it’s exciting to be in this discussion. 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I'm not much of a soccer fan in general, so I really don't know how Canada will match up.   The seeding is determined today for most teams, so that schedule is set.

According to the media I have watched, they said internationally Canada haven't played Croatia. But Canada have played Belgium and Morroco in the past, and have lost every match.  Last one was 4-0 loss vs Morroco, not sure how many yrs ago though. 

I think the best way to think is that this is alll new Canadian team, and historic records don't matter since they were so poor in the previous decades.   So it's possible Canada can beat them, but World Cup is huge stage (bigger than Olympic soccer) and you don't know how the current group will perform until they get there.  My expectations is that they can compete, and at least score a goal and not get shutout 3 times like in 1986.  Can they win a match or two, and make it to next round?  I hope so. But that's the appeal of this to me. You don't know how good they are, especially if they are completely healthy in Nov (their best player Alfonso Davies hasn't been playing this last window, and they lost two games). 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

It is always going to be tough to get out of the group stage, no matter what the draw was, and seeing Belgium, Croatia, and Morocco as opponents just solidifies that. Belgium has been ranked #1 for most of the past two years, and Croatia is the runner-up from 2018. I'll always believe and hope (Herdman's optimism is contagious), but I would be surprised if they actually make it to the knockout round. We're talking about making it to the top16 in the world.............!!! So truly, we can play with joy and no fear knowing that any result will do.

I think that's something that will bother me IF Canada doesn't win a game; that casual fans will crap all over the team and quickly forget what an absolute stunning result this qualifying period was. Don't get me wrong, I do see a path to the knockout round (loss to Belgium, draw with Croatia, win against Morocco is realistic and could do it), but even if they don't, it is still a huge monumental success for the team and the country just to be there. 2026, on the other hand, will bring other expectations...

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, foop said:

It is always going to be tough to get out of the group stage, no matter what the draw was, and seeing Belgium, Croatia, and Morocco as opponents just solidifies that. Belgium has been ranked #1 for most of the past two years, and Croatia is the runner-up from 2018. I'll always believe and hope (Herdman's optimism is contagious), but I would be surprised if they actually make it to the knockout round. We're talking about making it to the top16 in the world.............!!! So truly, we can play with joy and no fear knowing that any result will do.

I think that's something that will bother me IF Canada doesn't win a game; that casual fans will crap all over the team and quickly forget what an absolute stunning result this qualifying period was. Don't get me wrong, I do see a path to the knockout round (loss to Belgium, draw with Croatia, win against Morocco is realistic and could do it), but even if they don't, it is still a huge monumental success for the team and the country just to be there. 2026, on the other hand, will bring other expectations...

I'm in the group who is happy they qualified.  Everything else is icing on the cake.  They proved that they could qualify on their own merit and not just gifted a spot (2026).  I would just like to see a goal scored.   I win would be outstanding.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, foop said:

Just over a year ago, Canada was ranked in the 70s and had to start from the very first round of CONCACAF World Cup qualifying. Getting to the World Cup at all from where they began, let alone finishing 1st in the final qualfying round, is a massive achievement for the program. I'd wager that none of us thought any of this could happen so quickly. It's honestly sureal that we're even talking about Canada being in a World Cup draw.

Whatever happens, the only thing I really want now is for Canada to prove they belong here, not necessarily through winning but by putting up a good fight. They have strong pace down the wings that can give opponents a tough time on the counter, hopefully they can defend well as a group because that's probably gonna be the steepest challenge here.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

No chance vs Belgium.  A meltdown of massive proportions would be needed to secure a point there, let alone three.

Slight chance to get something vs Croatia if the game is dictated down the flanks and not through the middle.  But Croatia >>> Canada

Perhaps, a 50/50 vs Morocco but Morocco has a lot more quality in their squad, even if Canada has the best player in Davies.

What I can say is that CONCACAF teams in recent years seem to pull off the unthinkable at these WCs.  Mexico topping Germany in 2018; Costa Rica winning their group in 2014 against the likes of England, Italy, and Urguary; etc.  So, who knows?

Personally, I think we'll come away with 1 pt (draw vs Morocco), but getting 3-4 points is not an impossibility.  Getting more than that, and perhaps we're a lucky, lucky side.

• Cheers 1

https://www.tsn.ca/Soccer/video/canada-soccer-president-outlines-three-goals-for-canada-at-the-w~2414243

12 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

https://www.tsn.ca/Soccer/video/canada-soccer-president-outlines-three-goals-for-canada-at-the-w~2414243

Considering how lucky we got with our pot of four, if we don’t get top two that’s a big fail.  

3 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

This is definitely the wrong mindset to approach this World Cup with.

We should beat those teams.  Tape on the foil, and start early.  Treat those softies to “too much too soon”.  

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We should beat those teams.  Tape on the foil, and start early.  Treat those softies to “too much too soon”.  

You're massively underestimating our opponents.

It's a major accomplishment just to even make the WC. If we don't make it to the round of 16, sure we'll be disappointed that the run is over, but it's by no means a failure.

• Like 1