The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canada's Men National Football Team (Soccer)

DefCon1

Report: Herdman sparks English club interest

Herdman, who took over as CanMNT manager in 2018 after seven years and two Olympic bronze medals as the CanWNT boss, has never managed at the club level before.

All three of the Clarets, QPR and Rovers are looking for new managers heading into next season.

Burnley fired longtime boss Sean Dyche after nearly a decade last month as the team is clinging to Premier League survival. With three matches remaining, Burnley is only out of the drop zone due to a superior goal differential than Leeds with both teams on 34 points. Former Dyche assistant Michael Jackson is leading the club in the interim.

Blackburn missed out on the Championship playoff places by six points, but Tony Mowbray announced he was leaving the club after five seasons. The former Celtic, Middlesbrough and West Brom manager had been the Championship's longest-serving gaffer.

QPR announced last month that manager Mark Warburton would depart at season's end an it's widely expected that he will become the new boss of Birmingham City in the coming days.

NOOOOOO!!!!

https://www.tsn.ca/john-herdman-canada-canmnt-queens-park-rangers-qpr-burnley-blackburn-rovers-1.1798670

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Report: Herdman sparks English club interest

Herdman, who took over as CanMNT manager in 2018 after seven years and two Olympic bronze medals as the CanWNT boss, has never managed at the club level before.

All three of the Clarets, QPR and Rovers are looking for new managers heading into next season.

Burnley fired longtime boss Sean Dyche after nearly a decade last month as the team is clinging to Premier League survival. With three matches remaining, Burnley is only out of the drop zone due to a superior goal differential than Leeds with both teams on 34 points. Former Dyche assistant Michael Jackson is leading the club in the interim.

Blackburn missed out on the Championship playoff places by six points, but Tony Mowbray announced he was leaving the club after five seasons. The former Celtic, Middlesbrough and West Brom manager had been the Championship's longest-serving gaffer.

QPR announced last month that manager Mark Warburton would depart at season's end an it's widely expected that he will become the new boss of Birmingham City in the coming days.

NOOOOOO!!!!

https://www.tsn.ca/john-herdman-canada-canmnt-queens-park-rangers-qpr-burnley-blackburn-rovers-1.1798670

Can our coach leave before the World Cup though?  After, who cares, but before?  

Does anyone have the presale code for the Canada and Iran match, June 5th at BC place? I really want to go but I haven't got a code to unlock the seats. Please PM me if you decide not to go as I would love to watch that game.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/canadian-men-to-host-iran-in-june-soccer-friendly-at-b-c-place-stadium/

Canadian men to host Iran in June soccer friendly at B.C. Place Stadium

Canada will host Iran in a men's soccer friendly on June 5 in Vancouver.

The match is part of a two-game homestand at B.C. Place Stadium. The Canadian men will open CONCACAF Nations League A play there against Curacao on June 9 before closing out the FIFA international window with another CONCACAF Nations League game against Honduras in San Pedro Sula on June 13.

Canada, ranked 38th in the world, and No. 21 Iran are both preparing for the FIFA World Cup in Qatar this November.

Canada will play in Group F alongside Belgium, Serbia, and Morocco while Iran is in Group B with England, the U.S. and a European playoff winner still to be decided.

The Vancouver matches are the first for Canada on home soil since qualifying for the World Cup in a 4-0 win over Jamaica at Toronto's BMO Field on March 27. It also marks the Canadian men's first visit to B.C. Place since March 2019 when they beat French Guiana 4-1 in CONCACAF Nations League qualifying.

The Canadians topped the final round of CONCACAF qualifying with an 8-2-4 record. Their last game was a 1-0 loss in Panama on March 30.

Canada has a 1-2-0 all-time record against Iran, winning the most recent encounter 1-0 in April 2001 in Cairo. Iran posted 1-0 wins in 1997 and 1999 games in Toronto and Edmonton, respectively.

The Iran fixture is one of the few World Cup warmups for John Herdman's team in advance of Qatar. Herdman has said he will look to take the team to Europe in the fall to play several more matches to prepare for Qatar.

The Canadian men have played just two non-CONCACAF teams since Herdman took over in January 2018 — a 1-0 loss to Iceland in January 2020 and a 1-0 win over New Zealand in March 2018 in Herdman's first game at the helm.

Herdman's record with the Canadian men is 29-8-4 with the only losses to the U.S. (twice), Mexico (twice), Haiti, Iceland, Costa Rica and Panama.

Canada opens World Cup play Nov. 23 against No. 2 Belgium before facing No. 16 Croatia on Nov. 27 and No. 24 Morocco on Dec. 1.

Seats are still available now, if anyone wants to go for june 5th, they should book now before the remaining seats get full. I imagine it will be 65,000 people in BC place. This will be a great match.

1 hour ago, DefCon1 said:

Seats are still available now, if anyone wants to go for june 5th, they should book now before the remaining seats get full. I imagine it will be 65,000 people in BC place. This will be a great match.

I'd hate to see.how they'll pack in that extra 10,000 to get 65,000 in there.

35 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

65,000 wild fans will make for awesome atmosphere. When was the last time BC place had a full house? Love to see it, especially with the loud and wild CMNT fans and Iranian fans, they might bring the roof down :gocan:

37 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Dont actually know that its 65,000, am just guessing the full capacity of BC place. Whatever the full capacity of stadium is, it will be rocking for sure. Maybe Vancouver can show that they deserve to be hosting the WC 2026 by selling out this friendly match.

7 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Dont actually know that its 65,000, am just guessing the full capacity of BC place. Whatever the full capacity of stadium is, it will be rocking for sure. Maybe Vancouver can show that they deserve to be hosting the WC 2026 by selling out this friendly match.

my comment was in jest.  BC place has a capacity of 54,500.  It's been full before, probably not for a friendly match.

Apparently the friendly against Iran is drawing criticism, because of the shooting down of the Ukraine Airlines flight 752 carrying dozens of Canadians....

I see the point, but I think this one has some grey area. The Iranians were clearly trigger happy and on edge after the Americans assassinated Qasem Soleimani on Iraqi soil. I guess it boils down to whether you believe it was a horrible mistake by the IRG, or a deliberate act of terrorism.

Personally, I think the Americans deserve their share of the blame, as I believe the Ukrainian jet would not have been shot down, had the assassination not taken place.

So, should we cancel Friendlies with the Americans as well?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Apparently the friendly against Iran is drawing criticism, because of the shooting down of the Ukraine Airlines flight 752 carrying dozens of Canadians....

I see the point, but I think this one has some grey area. The Iranians were clearly trigger happy and on edge after the Americans assassinated Qasem Soleimani on Iraqi soil. I guess it boils down to whether you believe it was a horrible mistake by the IRG, or a deliberate act of terrorism.

Personally, I think the Americans deserve their share of the blame, as I believe the Ukrainian jet would not have been shot down, had the assassination not taken place.

So, should we cancel Friendlies with the Americans as well?

The problem with that thinking imo is that every country in the world has at one point done something to anger Canada in our history. That’s not to downplay the tragic and completely avoidable loss of dozens of innocent Canadian lives or the impact it had on their grieving families, it’s just a recognition of the reality of a world where every country does what’s best for their interests be it for the country’s, the leaders or the dictators in power. If we decided that plane being shot down or even a no dictatorship policy was a line we couldn’t cross we wouldn’t get to play against many other teams in the world for any sport.

Iran has atrocious and barbaric policies and human rights violations, with that there is no doubt. So what is the proper line in the sand for us to take while also being cognizant of the reality the world is? I honestly don’t know the answer to that.

3 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

The problem with that thinking imo is that every country in the world has at one point done something to anger Canada in our history. That’s not to downplay the tragic and completely avoidable loss of dozens of innocent Canadian lives or the impact it had on their grieving families, it’s just a recognition of the reality of a world where every country does what’s best for their interests be it for the country’s, the leaders or the dictators in power. If we decided that plane being shot down or even a no dictatorship policy was a line we couldn’t cross we wouldn’t get to play against many other teams in the world for any sport.

Iran has atrocious and barbaric policies and human rights violations, with that there is no doubt. So what is the proper line in the sand for us to take while also being cognizant of the reality the world is? I honestly don’t know the answer to that.

I don't think there's an easy yes or no answer to this question. There are pros and cons on both sides.

All I can say about Iran is that it seemed like relations with the West were turning around before Bone Spurs tore up the Nuclear Deal, for no other reason than the fact it was agreed to by Obama....

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't think there's an easy yes or no answer to this question. There are pros and cons on both sides.

All I can say about Iran is that it seemed like relations with the West were turning around before Bone Spurs tore up the Nuclear Deal, for no other reason than the fact it was agreed to by Obama....

Agreed on both.

It’s definitely not a simple issue with an easy answer, more so complex and in the grey area.

That was one of the stupidest moves he made and created a much less safe world. It wasn’t perfect by any means, but it allowed people inside to monitor Iran’s nuclear ambitions. Now nobody has a clue and Iran doesn’t want to do another already difficult negotiation knowing a new president could just tear up the agreement for no reason at all.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I agree with you. I mean will Canada team also not go to Qatar for world cup due to how they treat women and atrocities caused by Qatar or the fact that they import slave laborers into their country, many of them dying just to build the soccer stadiums for WC2022? Its a very fine line if we want to not participate with any countries that have atrocities. Would Iran also ban Canada because of the killing of native children? Its a slippery slope if Canada wants to magnify every wrongdoings a country has done. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

I agree with you. I mean will Canada team also not go to Qatar for world cup due to how they treat women and atrocities caused by Qatar or the fact that they import slave laborers into their country, many of them dying just to build the soccer stadiums for WC2022? Its a very fine line if we want to not participate with any countries that have atrocities. Would Iran also ban Canada because of the killing of native children? Its a slippery slope if Canada wants to magnify every wrongdoings a country has done. 

There will always be a blood stain on this Qatar World Cup, those innocent lives lost shouldn’t be forgotten by anyone that were sadly used to create stadiums for a sport competition just for entertainment. Nor should any of the realities of whatever country is hosting or participating in a sports event be forgotten. The facts and truth must be recognized. Qatar as you say treats women horribly. There are many past atrocities committed by many other nations to their people who have hosted the tournament and many other sport competitions. We will always live in an imperfect and sometimes barbaric world.

Maybe though by being there with Canadian and western democracy fans and players our ideals might start to catch on. Maybe the husband who controls his wife’s every move decides to give her some free time. Maybe that means a small move forward for the millions of people who live there. A country can’t go from horrid dictatorship straight to thriving democracy, after all we used to allow people to own Native and African American slaves in Canada. Change comes in steps, steps that may not happen if the people or leaders don’t see a different way possible.

For one example on the host nation a small, but significant change was Qatar for the first time in its history sending women to compete in the Olympics. For nearly 40 years it was men only. Does that small step mean the possibility of more steps being built upon after to the benefit of women who live there? Does that initial step happen if the country isn’t allowed to participate and experience other people who don’t live under suppression?

I personally feel emotionally torn on these complex questions and issues because of my strongly held values on basic human rights and equality for all. As morally reprehensible some nations are to their people though, we can’t create a better world as a species without exposing our democratic ideals to other people in different nations who have never experienced true freedom. No one ever wants or is willing to fight for something unless they know the value of what they’re missing.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay