The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canada's Men National Football Team (Soccer)

DefCon1

The friendly against Iran has been cancelled:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/canada-soccer-cancels-mens-national-team-friendly-vs-iran-in-vancouver/

I guess I understand that it was generating a lot of controversy, but I have to say, it would have been far less controversial if Canada Soccer had done their due diligence ahead of time and not scheduled the match at all. Now they have managed to upset pretty much everyone....

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Bounce000 said:

Will there be a make up game or did Vancouver just get boned?

Vancouver got boned. I doubt they will be able to get a friendly match against another world cup team in this short of a notice as other teams probably have scheduled their friendly matches months ago. European and South American teams probably wont play Canada as they want to test their skills against bigger competition which leaves Canada with AFC teams to compete with. I guess Canada will have one less friendly match than they originally organized before world cup in Qatar.

30 minutes ago, gurn said:

Update:

Soccer Canada looking to see if team Russia is available, deciding to double down on stupidity, rather than smarten up. 

They can’t possibly be that stupid. If they thought facing Iran generated controversy for them hooboy they ain’t seen nothing yet if they schedule a match against Russia. The competitive level won’t be as high, but they’ll be able to find someone in the world I’m sure. It might be a delayed match though from the original dates.

17 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

They can’t possibly be that stupid. If they thought facing Iran generated controversy for them hooboy they ain’t seen nothing yet if they schedule a match against Russia. The competitive level won’t be as high, but they’ll be able to find someone in the world I’m sure. It might be a delayed match though from the original dates.

My bad- I forgot to put  in the sarcasm /s. Will fix.

17 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Pretty sure that was sarcasm on @gurn's part

10 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The friendly against Iran has been cancelled:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/canada-soccer-cancels-mens-national-team-friendly-vs-iran-in-vancouver/

I guess I understand that it was generating a lot of controversy, but I have to say, it would have been far less controversial if Canada Soccer had done their due diligence ahead of time and not scheduled the match at all. Now they have managed to upset pretty much everyone....

And added a lawsuit 

16 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

And added a lawsuit 

I don’t get how we could make a game, have it planned for a long time, sell out the stadium and then it gets cancelled by the government for political reasons.  Don’t the levels of government speak with one another?  

On 5/26/2022 at 2:13 PM, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Something I predicted actually happened. Guess I need to go buy a lottery ticket or start a psychic hotline :lol:

On 5/26/2022 at 5:32 PM, Jaimito said:

And added a lawsuit 

Honestly, avoid a messy court battle. Pay the $10m, consider that hit in the pocketbook as a lesson learned and a reason to do better in the future when choosing who Canada plays. Besides, $10m isn’t going to break the bank for Canada Soccer. I’m kind of surprised they aren’t asking for more from us.

4 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Canada Mens soccer team on strike!

Oh man. Reminds me of the Canadian Men's basketball team. Money and entitlement always the downfall.  Can't just play for the love of the game and the pride for the country. It's purely transactional these days..

On 6/4/2022 at 8:56 AM, thedestroyerofworlds said:

After seeing this, maybe Belgium isn't quite as powerful as we though when Canada got drawn in the group with them.

As someone who cheers for the Dutch internationally, (after Canada of course) I might not be the most unbiased observer, but IMO, they are a world class side. For whatever reason, they haven't been able to win that final match....

It's encouraging to see Memphis looking in form. He really is key to the Netherlands' chances....

• Cheers 1