The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canada's Men National Football Team (Soccer)

Rate this topic

DefCon1

5 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Just throwing this out there, is there a chance that they could ever get Alphonso into a pair of track cleats. There was a point in that game that he sprinted down the field, passed a Canadian player and closed on the Mexican defender. Amazing speed straight ahead.

I think he would definitely be successful in the olympics if he joined tracks but he is much more famous and wealthier now playing for Bayern. His transfer fee is pretty high and in a couple of years he will be even more famous and probably more accomplished as he will develop even more. Canada is really lucky to have such a player. 

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Speaking of Eustaquio, I mentioned after the Costa Rica match, that I'm more and more impressed every time I see him....

The service on that set piece that resulted in Larin's second goal showed it once again. With the likes of Phonsie, David, Larin, etc., he flies a bit under the radar, but I love what he brings to the team.

Yep, Eustaquio is so underrated. I love this team's depth as they have so many quality players. Phonsie is the star but David and Larin are really great players. Add in a young Buchanen and I think this team could surprise at the world cup stage *knock on wood*. 

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://globalnews.ca/news/8402814/canadian-mens-soccer-team-usa-tim-hortons-field-jan-30/

It’s official: the Canadian men’s national soccer team will face the United States at Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton on Jan. 30, 2022.

The match comes in the middle of a three-match FIFA window for the men’s national team which will face Honduras on Jan. 27, and then travel to El Salvador on Feb. 2.

It’s anticipated the senior team will once again play in between snowbanks and potentially temperatures around -4 C in the middle of a Canadian winter for matchday 10.

In the past, the enclosed B.C. Place in Vancouver has been the obvious choice for mid-winter games.

However, a renovation installing new turf at the venue will bring the team eastward in a setting that will likely rival a successful two-game set amid the ice and snow at Commonwealth in Edmonton earlier this month.

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

I'm actually surprised that FIFA allows qualifying games to be played on artificial turf.  I thought, for the men at least, that games had to be on grass.  But maybe that is just in the final tournament?

• 1 month later...

Only 6 days until our next game in Honduras. Going to be tough without Davies, but we’ve got a lot of depth this year, so I still think we can pull a win or draw.

3 points would go a long way to a qualification spot and maybe even get us the top seed.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Speed, skill, depth:  we've got it all.  It's never been even half this good before.

Ya.  The number of players on clubs playing in European club competitions shows how much better this edition is compared to others that failed to qualify for the WC.  

• Like 1

Yep. I skipped the 'Nucks - Jets to watch this. (Caught most of the third period, though)

I was pretty sure that Phonsie's effort against Panama was going to be the best goal in the qualifying, but after seeing David's last night, I'm not so sure any more....

It was funny, because as we were watching the match, I mentioned to one of my friends (who's originally from Northern Ireland) that I'm not a fan of Piette and I'm nervous whenever he's on the pitch.....a few minutes later he's taken down by a cynical challenge by one of the Hondurans (who somehow avoided going into the book for it) and is subbed off by Liam Fraser.

Later in the match, Fraser plays the ball that David turns into the highlight of the night......just sayin'.....B)

Also, watching Phonsie's reaction on Twitch as he was following the match, was worth the price of admission....

On 11/16/2021 at 9:02 PM, Down by the River said:

Canada needs to finish ahead of one of Panama/Mexico. Those teams have six games remaining and play each other once, meaning that the most points the worse of the two teams can get is 15, which would give them 29 points. However, this would mean they both beat the US (sitting at 15 points), meaning that the US would at best go 4-0-2, giving them 27 points. 27 points seems like the magic number to guarantee qualification. Canada is at 16 points, so needs to go 4-0-2 to get above the 27 point bar or 3-2-1 to get to 27 points. 

It is still a bit of a road ahead, but this team is winning the right way and boy is it fun. 

By my math, 27 points remains the magic number, but it again requires both Panama and Mexico beating the United States (Mexico plays US at home, Panama is away). If Canada can get at least a point from the US, it really puts them in the driver's seat as they'd only need to get to 25 points to guarantee a top 3 finish (i.e., would need 5 points over their last 4 games). 

Not sure if this is available anywhere else, but I made a spreadsheet to help predict the final standings for WCQ. You can make a copy of the sheet and edit the scores in the table on the right. The standings should update automatically...

Not a spreadsheet expert by any means, but I was searching for something like this to see what our future looks like. I'll update it after each matchday.

• Cheers 1