The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Just reminiscing.

Rate this topic

Houdini

I’ve had Access to pretty much every Canuck game from day one til 2015 when I gave up my season tickets so I’ve been there for most of it, memories of this player doing that or that player doing this is not what this threads about.

What it is about is sharing personal memories that revolves around our team.

Here’s my first one: 

Late 80’s; my dad has 2 season tickets but loves going so getting both tickets to take a date is impossible, step in Safeway and my go to date night.

Pair of Safeway tickets to the game: $10

Couple Buffalo burgers and 2 beer outside the colosseum: $10

A few more beer and a snack during the game: $15

Getting lucky more often than the Canucks: priceless.

Edited by Houdini
  • Like 3
  • Cheers 1

OK, I’ll share one more, I think it was 1996, took the wife,we had front row blue line right beside the slot in the plexiglass for the camera guy and the wife is worried the puck will come through and hit her, I tell her, not a chance and switch seats so I’m nexts to the cutout.

Second period starts and the camera guy (it for professional photographers) is not at his seat, puck goes behind the Canucks net and they shoot it around to clear it but it hits the cutout, bounces a bit and flips up and over my head.

Now back then your average business suit Canucks attendee probably had the coordination of a tsetse fly so the puck bounced around a few hands before falling onto my wife’s lap. She grabs it, hold it up to my face and says some stuff I don’t remember but that moment in Canucks history is something I’m reminded of many times a year when she thinks she’s right and I have to be wrong.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Houdini said:

I’ve had Access to pretty much every Canuck game from day one til 2015 when I gave up my season tickets so I’ve been there for most of it, memories of this player doing that or that player doing this is not what this threads about.

What it is about is sharing personal memories that revolves around our team.

Here’s my first one: 

Late 80’s; my dad has 2 season tickets but loves going so getting both tickets to take a date is impossible, step in Safeway and my go to date night.

Pair of Safeway tickets to the game: $10

Couple Buffalo burgers and 2 beer outside the colosseum: $10

A few more beer and a snack during the game: $15

Getting lucky more often than the Canucks: priceless.

I'm just glad i spent the money as a young adult to get to see some games in the Pacific.   White boards.   Don't remember what i spent, but it wasn't half a paycheque for a labourer which i was at the time.   Only wish i did it more often.   A hotel room, meals, ferry and bus ride etc (from Victoria) wasn't going to destroy my wallet.   Think i was 19 or so at the time but don't remember either ... wanted to right close into the action.. front row seats in the offensive corner.   Guys didn't disappoint.   Played WNP and plastered some guys right infront of me.   Also don't recall going to a game without a fight until maybe the early 2000's.   Every single game.   A few times 3 at a time.    Times have changed for sure.     Went to quite a few with my brother and quite a few later without him and my wife at the new GM place.    Our record was crazy at one point...18-4-2 or something like that.    Lately not so good.   OTT/MTL seem to have had our number the last several years.   Miss the white boards and the comfy feel of the early days.   And Tim Hunter slapping pucks at my face during warm-ups, skating by with a sly grin.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

Also Houdini seems like you must of had a leg up on life with a Dad who had seasons tickets back then.   They were never cheap really.   In the mid-90's had a chance to move to Vancouver and make a change, but said i wouldn't do it unless i made like 250k and could enjoy the city.   Now?   Lol.   Good luck with that.   Times have changed.   In the 50's a mechanic or a school teacher could make enough money to buy a nice house on some Vancouver "suburb".   Now .... well like several other places in the world (England, Japan, Korea) mortgages in cities are generational.   You and i, have a lot to be thankful for -' not just cheap hot dogs and beer outside a game.  

I remember going to a game with my dad and he took me to ice level to yell at the players to give me a puck like all the rest. My dad told me to use their first names to get their attention. So, I was yelling "Tim" and he turned around and looked at me. I asked for a puck and he flipped one over the boards for me. 

I was such a happy little kid that without thinking I put my fingers between the gap in the glass and my dad yelled at me to get my fingers back in. 10 seconds after a puck wizzed by where my fingers were a moment before. Oh, what could have been. I will never forget watching that puck fly by.

I saw Tim sitting in the stands a while later and I ran down to him and Thanked him for the puck. I think he was quite surprised and he only smiled at me as I ran back to my seat.

No overly wholesome story here but my best memory was back from 2007 - Hank's goal in the 4th OT vs Dallas 

was still just a young teen so it was quite memorable being out at midnight downtown, and having a valid reason for being there that the parents wouldn't freak out about :lol:

Best memories are just watching the games with my dad and older brother.  

Funny the things that you take for granted until they are gone.  Really thought my dad would get to see the boys raise the Stanley Cup before he passed but it just wasn't in the cards in '94 or '11.  

Forgive me Canucks fans, this goes back to when the Blazers played in Vancouver, probably 1973. A buddy from high school began working for Labatts Brewery and had access to the press box at the Pacififc Coliseum. I remember sitting up there drinking Blue and watching Fast Eddie Hatoum, John (pie-face) McKenzie, plus Andy Bathgate and Ron Chipperfield play to some of the largest crowds ever in the World Hockey Association.