The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[New Article] Dom Luszczyszyn: It is time for the Vancouver Canucks to break up with Jim Benning

Rate this topic

Ilya Mikheyev

1 minute ago, FaninMex said:

No, I disagree. Losing sucks. We are a better team that needs to play better. I think coaching needs to be changed but I think the direction is correct

The GM sets the direction and coaching is a big part of that.

2 major misdirections so far.

7 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

The GM sets the direction and coaching is a big part of that.

2 major misdirections so far.

I already argued this with Wallstreet in the PGT thread. My opinion. you are wrong. I think your look is short sighted. I also think that if you get a new GM then the team goes into a rebuild again. If you are all for that, call for the GM's head

5 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

I already argued this with Wallstreet in the PGT thread. My opinion. you are wrong. I think your look is short sighted. I also think that if you get a new GM then the team goes into a rebuild again. If you are all for that, call for the GM's head

Was Willie a good coach? Do you think Green is a good coach? Obviously not, you just asked for a change a few posts ago.

So the GM hired two bad coaches. The hiring of a coach is a major part of a GM's job. What is there to be wrong about here?

And I don't think we would need to scorch the earth under a new GM. As much as I don't like Benning, there are a lot of good young pieces in place already. "You think everything Benning has done is bad" is the narrative of the apologists.

The thing is, most of said pieces are simply the result of drafting high. Benning has shown me nothing in his tenure here that suggests he knows how to put an actual team together, particularly when it comes to the defense.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, combover said:

So I use to be emotionally attached to this team it bothered me when we lost it angered me when calls went the wrong way. But slowly over the JB era my attachment has faded now all the predictable events from the last 5 years are humorous. I watch every game I still want to win but I just laugh at the GM and coach and the endless fails and hilarious excuses. 
the team Jb built is a league wide joke and it’s been that way for a long time. “ fun to play against”. 
Jb hasn’t damaged the brand he’s destroyed it. he has completed his mission. 

Jb has made it extremely easy for the media he like his team is a joke and the fans that still get upset when reporting failure after failure are the punchline. 

Totally agreed. Although JB had an impressive offseason which no one will dispute, the problem has always been for him to fill holes in his lineup in the most effective ways. It realy does seem like nothing Benning does helps, although pieces like Miller and Garland are really good.

2 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Was Willie a good coach? Do you think Green is a good coach? Obviously not, you just asked for a change a few posts ago.

So the GM hired two bad coaches. The hiring of a coach is a major part of a GM's job. What is there to be wrong about here?

And I don't think we would need to scorch the earth under a new GM. As much as I don't like Benning, there are a lot of good young pieces in place already. "You think everything Benning has done is bad" is the narrative of the apologists.

The thing is, most of said pieces are simply the result of drafting high. Benning has shown me nothing in his tenure here that suggests he knows how to put an actual team together, particularly when it comes to the defense.

This is a very dishonest take.

Demko - 2nd round. Gillis couldn't draft one in any of the 2nd rounders that he did have, nor ANY of the picks he had. Mikey Dipietro? And there's actually a decent crop of potential crops coming up here.

Rathbone/Woo. Lots of potential. Brisebois is not bad for a 3rd rounder, if a bit underwhelming. Gillis really struggled with development. Gillis had nothing. Hutton? Yeah, no.

Forwards - aside from Horvat, which ironically was acquired from Gillis "drafting high", what forwards did Gillis have that were homegrown? He threw away a lot of the assets that he did have to fill temporary spots.

I don't think anyone will deny that Gillis knew how to fill supplementary roles. But like Benning, he only knew one/limited parts of GMing. Yet the praise that Gillis still gets today is unwarranted. There is a reason why he isn't a GM for any other team. Part of that was how he handled himself in executive roles, specifically with his past as a player agent.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

While a lot of what he's saying is based in fact, for me it's his smarmy tone, his resemblance to a juvenile hobbit, and his admittance to not actually watching hockey that I find particularly grating. 

Got the same vibe: the lecturing tone. 

Signs of the time !

• Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Demko - 2nd round. Gillis couldn't draft one in any of the 2nd rounders that he did have, nor ANY of the picks he had. Mikey Dipietro? And there's actually a decent crop of potential crops coming up here.

Rathbone/Woo. Lots of potential. Brisebois is not bad for a 3rd rounder, if a bit underwhelming. Gillis really struggled with development. Gillis had nothing. Hutton? Yeah, no.

Forwards - aside from Horvat, which ironically was acquired from Gillis "drafting high", what forwards did Gillis have that were homegrown? He threw away a lot of the assets that he did have to fill temporary spots.

I don't think anyone will deny that Gillis knew how to fill supplementary roles. But like Benning, he only knew one/limited parts of GMing. Yet the praise that Gillis still gets today is unwarranted. There is a reason why he isn't a GM for any other team. Part of that was how he handled himself in executive roles, specifically with his past as a player agent.

ok

Edited by kanucks25
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I mean, the truth is this....it's easier to find Benning's failures then it is to find his successes (of course). Has he made some savvy draft pics? Yes. Has he made a few good trades? Yes. Has me made some terrible, head scratching trades? Yes. Have we been rebuilding for 8 f$%ing years? Yes. Benning is a decent drafter, his track record in trades is much more murky. 

Truth is, Benning has had a much longer leash than most GM's experience- and the type of job security one could only dream of. Benning has had a LONG time to stockpile talent and improve this team and make it more competitive. For whatever reason, we haven't been with the exception of a very surprising playoff run a couple years ago to which we can all say was a major over achievement. 

The finger should be pointed at the Aquilini's. Ultimately, they are making the high level personnel decisions and driving the direction of the team, They were the ones "reportedly" who didn't want to buckle down for a real rebuild and pushed for an accelerated schedule, therefore giving Benning the green light to trade away assets and prospects for players who were perceived to be able to help the team win now. Do we have some nice young core pieces? Yes, but they still can't seem to figure out how to build an NHL caliber blue line and compete against decent teams in this league. It's hard to say what the problem is, but this team's identity right now is "18 guys who play hockey"  - that's it. 

Edited by CJ44
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

We need to lose the team so that down the road when we get one again we will be better equipped to accept & handle terrible management?

I would really need to question why you even watch/follow a sports team if you don't care about them winning?

I do like to see winning, I just don't expect it every year. I also don't think being a fan = being an entitled baby or whiner about it. Or worse, like one of those abusive psycho's on twitter, or renting planes. Its gone too far. 

Constantly droning about Benning is a waste of breath. Its not up to us. And it just breeds a section of the so-called fan base to be abusive. Those folks don't deserve a team. If thats what 51% of our fan base becomes we don't deserve a team anymore. 

2 minutes ago, CJ44 said:

I mean, the truth is this....it's easier to find Benning's failures then it is to find his successes (of course). Has he made some savvy draft pics? Yes. Has he made a few good trades? Yes. Has me made some terrible, head scratching trades? Yes. Have we been rebuilding for 8 f$%ing years? Yes. Benning is a decent drafter, his track record in trades is much more murky. 

Truth is, Benning has had a much longer leash than most GM's experience- and the type of job security one could only dream of. Benning has had a LONG time to stockpile talent and improve this team and make it more competitive. For whatever reason, we haven't been with the exception of a very surprising playoff run a couple years ago to which we can all say was a major over achievement. 

The finger should be pointed at the Aquilini's. Ultimately, they are making the high level personnel decisions and driving the direction of the team, They were the ones "reportedly" who didn't want to buckle down for a real rebuild and pushed for an accelerated schedule, therefore giving Benning the green light to trade away assets and prospects for players who were perceived to be able to help the team win now. Do we have some nice young core pieces? Yes, but they still can't seem to figure out how to build an NHL caliber blue line and compete against decent teams in this league. It's hard to say what the problem is, but this team's identity right now is "18 guys who play hockey"  - that's it. 

Aqualini joining the team in California and choosing to stay in Vegas and watch an NFL game instead of his own team in Anaheim tells you just how concerned FA is. That is a big middle finger to the fans and players. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

Oh look, another athletic supporter article critical of the Canucks. They don't even try hard anymore.

It's ok to be critical of a team that's under performed the majority of the last decade. There's not a whole lot to be raving about right now, so you have to especially the pundits are going to write this stuff. It can't all be sunshine and rainbows.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, CJ44 said:

It's ok to be critical of a team that's under performed the majority of the last decade. There's not a whole lot to be raving about right now, so you have to especially the pundits are going to write this stuff. It can't all be sunshine and rainbows.

no but recycled drivel isn't worth my time. 

9 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

JB vs Gillis debate goes on cause Gillis has the trophies and JB has the picks.  

The offseason hype, seems to be the biggest factor to fan frustration due to the disastrous start to this season.  I was really, hoping to watching a competitive team on the ice and hopefully, put to rest the JB vs Gillis debate.  Gillis would had been a better PoHO (imo) rather than a GM.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1