The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Justin Bailey

I like this players speed, but seeing him laugh and chat it up on the road when we got slaughtered was enough for me...he is an AHL player with NHL speed but 0 grit and seems like little finish at the top level. All the best to him but I hope he stays in Abby, next call up should be Di Gusieppe or Lockwood

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

I like this players speed, but seeing him laugh and chat it up on the road when we got slaughtered was enough for me...he is an AHL player with NHL speed but 0 grit and seems like little finish at the top level. All the best to him but I hope he stays in Abby, next call up should be Di Gusieppe or Lockwood

Ya I have really hated how much several players on this team are having a great time with opponents while getting slaughtered.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Yeah; also, noticed that he offers the same thing that JV offered: flyby's and a shot to the crest.   

DiGusieppe, played well in the offseason and I really taught he would stick but Green had already, made up his mind that ChaseOn stays.

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Canuckfan_Brett said:

time for lockwood, he should have made the team

i agree - saw most pre-season games, including 1 in person. By my eye test, Lockwood would have been a lock on the team if not for waiver considerations. Putting him and Motte together might give some energy to that 4th line. Having Motte back already has

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Teemu Selänne said:

i agree - saw most pre-season games, including 1 in person. By my eye test, Lockwood would have been a lock on the team if not for waiver considerations. Putting him and Motte together might give some energy to that 4th line. Having Motte back already has

Lockwood had all the heart in the world but he need to work on his positioning, PK ability etc before he gets to play at this level. Running around hitting guys is fun to watch and all but it's not conducive to staying in an NHL lineup.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Lockwood had all the heart in the world but he need to work on his positioning, PK ability etc before he gets to play at this level. Running around hitting guys is fun to watch and all but it's not conducive to staying in an NHL lineup.

One would think they are grooming him on the PK in Abby?

54 minutes ago, aGENT said:

This is true. 

Having said that, it’s at least marginally better than skating fast but hitting no one, playing $&!#ty positionally, and not being able to PK effectively like Bailey and Highmore.

• Cheers 1

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

This is true. 

Having said that, it’s at least marginally better than skating fast but hitting no one, playing $&!#ty positionally, and not being able to PK effectively like Bailey and Highmore.

Well yes, which is why we're developing one, and the others are here largely as fodder/stop gaps.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Well yes, which is why we're developing one, and the others are here largely as fodder/stop gaps.

An honest question. You are a knowledgeable hockey guy. With the way our PK has been how much risk would you say there is trying some of these guys that the coach has decided can’t PK effectively? Like Lockwood. Or Hoglander. Or Garland.

I see very little risk in trying something different. Not a big chance any of those guys would be worse than who they currently throw out on the PK.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

An honest question. You are a knowledgeable hockey guy. With the way our PK has been how much risk would you say there is trying some of these guys that the coach has decided can’t PK effectively? Like Lockwood. Or Hoglander. Or Garland.

I see very little risk in trying something different. Not a big chance any of those guys would be worse than who they currently throw out on the PK.

Now you're getting in to coaching issues vs personnel issues.

Personally I think Lockwood is where he should be, developing at a level that's not over his head.

Hoglander, Garland (or Podkolzin for that matter) on the PK is another discussion altogether. One I'm perfectly open to BTW and can generally agree with in principal, especially considering the 'why not' level of bad the current group is operating at.

But I'm not in the room, I have no idea what exactly is ailing this massively underperforming team. Is it coaching? Players? Both? Something else? I have no idea... And I'm not going to pretend I do. But something stinks and Benning best find the rotten egg(s) sooner than later if he hopes to keep his job.

Either way, Lockwood isn't the answer.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2