The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

B.C. state of emergency 2021

Ms.Glitter

3 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

...or for the future. But, hindsight is 20/20. Hwy 1 to Hope is a prime example. The first effort was outdated before it was built, and they haven't caught up to it yet, 60 years later.

seems like a massive screw up to me, both the NDP and Lib's, and the fed's for that matter given how important the #1 and nearby rail is to trade in Canada.

On 11/19/2021 at 7:27 PM, Chris12345 said:

They had credibility to blow?

Because despite telling people to be rational, just take what they need, people start hoarding. How difficult is that to understand? When covid first hit, it took most grocery stores and big box stores a week or two to institute a maximum limit on purchases for certain items. A guy I went to high school with was freaking the government took 4 days to declare a state of emergency. It took about 1-2 days to see the total impact. That doesn't seem out of line. Given our province is in an Earthquake zone, it might be a good idea to invest in more infrastructure, and get emergency preparedness as a priority. I bet a lot of right wingers are going to complain that our taxes will go up, after years of neglect and contracting out of our road maintenance, an aging power grid. Even our hospitals need more staff, as we have an aging population, demand is going to keep going up. 

I've said for years we need more rail options and multiple routes in and out of our cities. Not only for passenger traffic, but cargo as well. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, JM_ said:

politicians don't like to pay for prevention.

Because the right side of the ledger doesn't like putting tax money into infrastructure. Only to jobs and industries that grease their palms. And all politicians don't want to invest into something that pays dividends long after they've left office. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Because the right side of the ledger doesn't like putting tax money into infrastructure. Only to jobs and industries that grease their palms. And all politicians don't want to invest into something that pays dividends long after they've left office. 

I think all political stripes wear this one tho, they've all been in power and could have done something in the last 30 years.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

B.C needs to invest more into infrastructure, so many of your towns have basically one road in and out.

I get the rugged terrain and all that but this is not good in case of an emergency or armed conflict.

If Switzerland can have lots of rail through mountains, pretty sure we can as well.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, JM_ said:

seems like a massive screw up to me, both the NDP and Lib's, and the fed's for that matter given how important the #1 and nearby rail is to trade in Canada.

That rail line through the canyon should be revamped through another route. The canyon is one of the most challenging routes in the Country. How about through the Princeton area over the top through Merritt and on to Kamloops. The Old KVR track beds are still there. Highway 1 is an absolute parking lot at the best of times. The Liberals wanted the Olympic traffic to get access to the downtown core, but what did they do? 200st and 176st and 152st all end up parking on the Port Mann bridge through to the Cassiar tunnel. Not well thought out at all.

Edited by johngould21
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

On 11/20/2021 at 1:16 PM, Coda said:

Why governments didn't spend millions to prevent billions worth of damage is going to become a big story here.  Take just one example: a breach of the Sumas dike at Cole Road, which was reported as being 60cm too low in 2015.  

https://theprovince.com/news/province-was-studying-dike-integrity-but-data-not-to-be-available-until-next-month

canada-flood-1-65.jpg?quality=90&strip=a

You can see on google maps street view that the dike dips noticeably at this crossing...the fact that nobody in charge ordered a road crew to spend a couple of days fixing the problem is an incredibly costly mistake.  

https://goo.gl/maps/9ReHVbEJvVkjDKWYA

Because spending millions for prevention is never a good political move.  They could have done it, and come the next election it would have been brought up as a massive waste of money because it may have not done anything and been seen as a waste of tax dollars that could have been spent elsewhere.

Its a bad political move, good move for long term financially.

Its almost like when the Feds told BC to build Hwy 1 6-8 lanes back in the day.  BC said "nah we don't have that much traffic right now" and now the slightest issue and roads are backed up like hell.  The cost back then was way less with inflation these days, would have been way cheaper per tax payer to do something like that than to attempt to try and retrofit extra lanes like they keep talking about.

No government (both Libs and NDP) want to spend money on things that wont be an immediate benefit that they can tout the next election.

13 hours ago, johngould21 said:

That rail line through the canyon should be revamped through another route. The canyon is one of the most challenging routes in the Country. How about through the Princeton area over the top through Merritt and on to Kamloops. The Old KVR track beds are still there. Highway 1 is an absolute parking lot at the best of times. The Liberals wanted the Olympic traffic to get access to the downtown core, but what did they do? 200st and 176st and 152st all end up parking on the Port Mann bridge through to the Cassiar tunnel. Not well thought out at all.

that higher up router might be better for high speed rail too.

I was hoping for a lot more out of the fed's on infrastructure, maybe this incident will help push things.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

that higher up router might be better for high speed rail too.

I was hoping for a lot more out of the fed's on infrastructure, maybe this incident will help push things.

Yeah, this isn't Quebec lol! 

My soapbox this morning is with Insurance companies - I have heard some won't cover costs due to a mud slide. 

What a joke - charge you an arm and a leg - if you make a claim they raise your rates and now they won't cover you when you really need it.

$237.93 a month is what I pay for home/farm insurance.  Maybe the Feds can do something about that scam. 

15 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Bright side, I guess. Just got notice we can work from home until the first week of December at least.

I guess some campuses in the Valley are treating it this way. I thought it was business as usual for the most part. I arrive there and waited around ten minutes. My department was dark. Registrar was dark. The staff parking lot was bare. So I went home and now I'm doing my stuff from here. Good thing I live close. I would be kind of pissed having to come from Langley, or something. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Yeah, this isn't Quebec lol! 

My soapbox this morning is with Insurance companies - I have heard some won't cover costs due to a mud slide. 

What a joke - charge you an arm and a leg - if you make a claim they raise your rates and now they won't cover you when you really need it.

$237.93 a month is what I pay for home/farm insurance.  Maybe the Feds can do something about that scam. 

flood coverage is hard to get, I'm sure a lot of folks won't be covered by any private policies.

• Vintage 1

I'm not an engineer, and I haven't seen the damage on Highway 99 past Pemberton. But is the highway intact, and it just needs to be cleared? Shouldn't getting that reopened and allowing the roundabout way to getting to Vancouver/Lower Mainland be sort of a priority? If it's the quickest and easiest fix. Then they can work on the other routes at the same time? I'm just going by the Drive BC map.

35 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm not an engineer, and I haven't seen the damage on Highway 99 past Pemberton. But is the highway intact, and it just needs to be cleared? Shouldn't getting that reopened and allowing the roundabout way to getting to Vancouver/Lower Mainland be sort of a priority? If it's the quickest and easiest fix. Then they can work on the other routes at the same time? I'm just going by the Drive BC map.

I actually believe the Hope/Princeton is the fastest way into the LM from the Okanagan and Kamloops. The bottleneck is Princeton, where the 5A, meets Hwy 3 (Crowsnest). It means putting in temporary traffic lights, or heaven forbid, a bit of road construction to fix the problem.

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

I actually believe the Hope/Princeton is the fastest way into the LM from the Okanagan and Kamloops. The bottleneck is Princeton, where the 5A, meets Hwy 3 (Crowsnest). It means putting in temporary traffic lights, or heaven forbid, a bit of road construction to fix the problem.

More than one route in is always good.

Weather alert:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/parade-of-storms-expected-in-b-c-environment-and-climate-change-canada/ar-AAR0V5D?ocid=msedgntp

image.png.9c51549d06ae4ec6ffc3d0cb5fb8984f.png

Environment and Climate Change Canada is warning that more rainfall is expected in B.C. this week and it will likely affect areas that are still recovering from last week's floods.

Warning preparedness meteorologist Armel Castellan says a "parade of storms" is expected over the winter in B.C.

While the province won't likely see the same amounts of rainfall as it did last week, he says there is a strong indication that active storms will start Thursday.

He says what's called an atmospheric river is expected to bring 40 to 70 millimetres of rain in the Fraser Valley and potentially more than 100 millimetres in the North Shore Mountains around Howe Sound.

Castellan says the department is bracing for record-breaking rainfall this fall in terms of the overall precipitation for communities along the central and south coast of the province.

He says the department has regularly briefed Emergency Management BC on the storms and it is working on a warning system for the public, but a launch date for it has not been confirmed.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 22, 2021.

Edited by gurn
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1