The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

B.C. state of emergency 2021

Ms.Glitter

1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

Are you on evacuation alert?

I'm living In Powell River, so no flood worries here; but I have lived in  Squamish, so have seen a lot of flood damage before.

My best wishes for all those people and areas that are being threatened.

• Like 3

• -DLC- pinned this topic

People in Princeton are getting nervous again.  Buddy Chewie is at risk yet again.  His house was under 4 feet of water 2 weeks ago and it's looking like a possible repeat if this rain continues.

Only blessing is that it's gentle and consistent, not monsoon like as happened previously

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

26 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

People in Princeton are getting nervous again.  Buddy Chewie is at risk yet again.  His house was under 4 feet of water 2 weeks ago and it's looking like a possible repeat if this rain continues.

Only blessing is that it's gentle and consistent, not monsoon like as happened previously

The town has military helping with the sandbagging, and repairing the dyke along the Tulameen, but will it be enough? If they're getting as much rain as us, big problems. A friend of mine had their house flooded and the front yard had about 5 feet of water on it. Told they had 5 minutes to get out last week. I, at one time lived in the house next door. and many houses along that area are badly damaged.

The worst part is so many of these people are doing the restoration on their own, without proper PPE. Most of those homes were built in the late 30's and 40's and I'm sure all the drywall has asbestos, unless they have been remodeled recently (1990) or later.

Edited by johngould21
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

The town has military helping with the sandbagging, and repairing the dyke along the Tulameen, but will it be enough? If they're getting as much rain as us, big problems. A friend of mine had their house flooded and the front yard had about 5 feet of water on it. Told they had 5 minutes to get out last week. I, at one time lived in the house next door. and many houses along that area are badly damaged.

The worst part is so many of these people are doing the restoration on their own, without proper PPE. Most of those homes were built in the late 30's and 40's and I'm sure all the drywall has asbestos, unless they have been remodeled recently (1990) or later.

One of the very small mercies in the Sumas flats area is that most of the houses that flooded were restored after the 1990 flood so there were no worries about asbestos in the drywall or linoleum. Sewage, diesel fuel, fertilizer, chemicals from the railway tank cars that were flipped over across the line, and everything else that was in the water was a different matter though.

This isn’t a very good picture as it was taken through a rain-splattered window but it shows how the flood is starting to re-form. This area was almost completely free of water by Friday. The building in the bottom is Westgen where you may have seen cows being rescued by people on jet-skis on the news. 

191A07F7-E415-46F4-A9AC-1DA725DCD544.jpeg

• Sad 2
  • Huggy Bear 3

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

One of the very small mercies in the Sumas flats area is that most of the houses that flooded were restored after the 1990 flood so there were no worries about asbestos in the drywall or linoleum. Sewage, diesel fuel, fertilizer, chemicals from the railway tank cars that were flipped over across the line, and everything else that was in the water was a different matter though.

This isn’t a very good picture as it was taken through a rain-splattered window but it shows how the flood is starting to re-form. This area was almost completely free of water by Friday. The building in the bottom is Westgen where you may have seen cows being rescued by people on jet-skis on the news. 

Wow!

6 hours ago, 4petesake said:

yep; I was out there today. Pooling water on the shoulders around Sumas and Whatcom exits. No3 Road is still a complete swamp with water 'not far' from overflowing onto the freeway altogether. 

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

yep; I was out there today. Pooling water on the shoulders around Sumas and Whatcom exits. No3 Road is still a complete swamp with water 'not far' from overflowing onto the freeway altogether. 

They announced a short time ago that the Nooksack River has overtopped its banks again so things are pretty tense out here again tonight. The rain has eased up a bit though.

• Huggy Bear 1

6 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Huzzah!  Gasoline restrictions extended until mid-month!  

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2021/11/29/bc-gas-restrictions-emergency-extended/

Quick, get into a panic everyone!

:frantic::frantic::frantic::frantic::frantic:

:bigblush:

Saw someone filling up 4 jerry cans in the trunk of their car last week, I'm expecting the selfishness to continue.

1 minute ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Say something, do something. If there's no recourse or accountability then people will do as they please because it's human nature 

I called a woman out on filling jerry cans but she just said she had an exemption as an essential worker. Her HRC power suit and Toyota Venza made me skeptical though. 

12 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Say something, do something. If there's no recourse or accountability then people will do as they please because it's human nature 

its also human nature for someone to beat you with a tire iron. We can't start policing each other, we've seen what that approach does with covid. We need better leadership.

12 minutes ago, JM_ said:

its also human nature for someone to beat you with a tire iron. We can't start policing each other, we've seen what that approach does with covid. We need better leadership.

I doubt it. The vast majority of people are afraid of confrontation; but that's also seldom why people say or do anything when they should. Those who do talk tough are only capable of that. Those who threaten violence are almost never willing especially with other people around. I wouldn't expect someone to enforce this either but it can't hurt to call them out in front of everyone else 'HEY EVERYONE, LOOK AT MR.SELFISH HERE WITH HIS FOUR JERRY CANS.' What're they going to do about it? Jack $&!#. At least you may have made them feel somewhat uncomfortable after. 

Edited by Tortorella's Rant

The western end of Sumas prairie is almost completely flooded again today after being nearly  dry on Friday. Most of the areas that were evacuated last time are again. The water isn’t quite as deep yet but it’s raining steadily. Also quite warm so snowmelt from Mt Baker is becoming a huge concern.

Today’s view taken moments ago.

16DDA5FD-6779-4316-934A-E1521E63CBEF.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

3 hours ago, 4petesake said:

The western end of Sumas prairie is almost completely flooded again today after being nearly  dry on Friday. Most of the areas that were evacuated last time are again. The water isn’t quite as deep yet but it’s raining steadily. Also quite warm so snowmelt from Mt Baker is becoming a huge concern.

Today’s view taken moments ago.

16DDA5FD-6779-4316-934A-E1521E63CBEF.jpeg

The old lake bottom will fill up.  Very sad to see, but it’s inevitably going to happen.  Really, it’s the freeway that’s most important.  That route needs to be protected.  

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The old lake bottom will fill up.  Very sad to see, but it’s inevitably going to happen.  Really, it’s the freeway that’s most important.  That route needs to be protected.  

If the Barrowtown Pump Station fails the freeway will be under 8’ of water. If the lake re-forms we will lose the most fertile and abundant farmland in Canada.