The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Boeser to Chicago

To Chicago: Brock Boeser, Jack Rathbone, one of Dowling/Chiasson/Highmore for contract clearing - Petan/Hunt/Di Giuseppe/Bailey could be considered, but they have important roles in Abbotsford (Hunt will be waived after this trade)

To Vancouver: Dylan Strome, Ryan Carpenter, Riley Stillman, Vegas' 3rd round 2022, Tampa's 2nd rounder 2023, Chicago's 3rd round pick 2023

Could be broken down to

Rathbone for Stillman, Vegas's 3rd

Boeser, Dowling for Strome, Carpenter, Tampa' 2nd and Chicago's 3rd 2023

Why?

- Both these teams are struggling but both ownership/management groups seem to be very resistant to rebuilds, both better or for worse. I'm not proposing this as the best case scenario possible - but as best case under Frankie

- Both teams could use a shake up for this season, Chicago already fired their coach, and the Canucks' have expressed they're looking at 'everything'

- Dylan Strome has been rumoured to be on his way out of Chicago - this was before the Bowman/Aldrich disgrace, so things may have changed

- Boeser is a RFA-to-be, the Canucks' just came off some sour negotiations with Hughes and Petey - the team is struggling to be cohesive, and is might be too fragile to go through this with Brock again next off-season. From a fan's perspective, it's hard to get a read on the room, but Boeser's demeanor looks like one player who may have checked out somewhat

- Boeser pretty much fixes/shores up Chicago's top-6 (Cat - Toews - Kane, Kubalik/Hagel - Dach - Boeser). They get the best player in the trade

- 30 y/o UFA-to-be Ryan Carpenter likely has little trade value, but he's been a premium PKer in Chicago. Vancouver's PK is a laughingstock and he would immediately fill a hole. He's a right-handed forward who can play C or RW. He can be re-signed at a bury-able rate - and replace Sutter who unfortunately is unlikely to play again for the next 1-3 seasons

- Chicago has had basically no help offensively or with transitions from their D outside of Seth Jones. Jack Rathbone would actually step into their second unit PP and fill an immediate hole for them - for Vancouver, he's a loss, but with OEL and Hughes tied up long term, a manageable one

- Strome is a top-6 replacement for the loss of Boeser who could use a change of scenery. He ripped apart the OHL and was a 3rd overall pick in 2015 (same draft year as Boeser), he put up respectable point totals up until his strange exile at camp this year. He's got decent size and can play into the possession-focused style the Canucks seem to be trying. He's also former teammates of Garland, OEL & Highmore so would have some familiar faces on the team. I would predict he would step back up in a new environment, but his value is at a all-time low right now. He is also likely set to re-sign for less than Boeser - and Canucks could re-distribute that small, but significant $ away from offensive wingers

- Stillman is locked up on a decent deal, and is more the 3rd pairing, dependable two-way LHD the Canucks' could use this season and next. Stillman also has shown to be decent on the PK, so this trade would give the Canucks' 1/2 a PK unit - along with Motte's return, and eventually Highmore, this might help shore things up

- This helps the Canucks restock their cupboard a little bit ("on the fly...............":rolleyes:) after losing their their 1st and 2nd in 2020, their 1st and 3rd and 4th last year :huh:, and 2nd this upcoming year, Juolevi being a bust, and both Lind and Gadjovich being claimed by other teams

- This proposal also weighs somewhat heavily on my personal opinion that Strome can break back out

- Dylan's brother Ryan is also a UFA-to-be - lord knows the Canucks could use two brothers whose names start with a S to get rebooted

Miller - Petey - Garland

Strome - Bo - Hoggie

Pearson - Dickinson - Podkolzin (or Hoggie/Motte here at times for an actual checking line :wub:)

Motte - Carpenter - Highmore (Lammikko)

Lammikko (Chiasson)

Hughes - Hamonic

OEL - Myers

Stillman - Poolman

Burroughs

Demko

Halak

Edited by Teemu Selänne
  • Haha 2

• Ilya Mikheyev changed the title to [Proposal] Boeser to Chicago
9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Boeser should be traded. He has value, but he also has his faults, such as an injury history, poor skating and hesitation when he shoots (most of the time).

I'd trade him for a Top pairing Dman or a 1st and a good prospect.

if its for a 1st, it has to be unprotected and pretty high up. I know we got him at 23, but that was really lucky.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Strome's a project at this point, with some inconsistency in his scoring.  Even if he is good on draws (and I'd play him as the 3rd C, with Dickinson flanking him), as other people mentioned I'd rather get more upside and help in needed positions in return for a prime asset like Boeser.  We had better be sure that we can recoup Strome's value as I'd rather we flip him, or we'd be stuck with pennies on the dollar in terms of return for Brock and this trade could look really bad. 

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

If we are really considering moving Boeser we need to aim higher. We need a legit top pair RHD back, thats not 30+. 

Absolutely.  To move a player like Boeser (core) there has to be a really good reason like filling a big hole in the line up.   I wouldn't even mind throwing in a sweetener to get the right player back.

However Benning has to be careful with his moves.  Boeser is tight with the other core players 

• Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Absolutely.  To move a player like Boeser (core) there has to be a really good reason like filling a big hole in the line up.   I wouldn't even mind throwing in a sweetener to get the right player back.

However Benning has to be careful with his moves.  Boeser is tight with the other core players 

yup that room chemistry is so important. Its why I think Miller is the most likely guy to go if there is some big move made.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

yup that room chemistry is so important. Its why I think Miller is the most likely guy to go if there is some big move made.

Do we have a player who can take on Miller’s role and minutes?  He’s a big guy, who plays big boy hockey.  Hasn’t he been our best forward?  Big, mean, skilled, that’s hard to replace.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Do we have a player who can take on Miller’s role and minutes?  He’s a big guy, who plays big boy hockey.  Hasn’t he been our best forward?  Big, mean, skilled, that’s hard to replace.  

he has to be replaced with some similar attributes, particularly the big, mean part. I think we have enough skill here and on the farm coming up, we really need a true 3C that can be a physical force all game, or a top RHD that can lock down our d group into something special.

I don't know who's willing to give that up tho.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, JM_ said:

he has to be replaced with some similar attributes, particularly the big, mean part. I think we have enough skill here and on the farm coming up, we really need a true 3C that can be a physical force all game, or a top RHD that can lock down our d group into something special.

I don't know who's willing to give that up tho.

I think trading away Miller would be a rebuilding move.  To get fair return would mean getting back picks/prospects, who will (hopefully) turn into the types of players you’re suggesting.  

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I think trading away Miller would be a rebuilding move.  To get fair return would mean getting back picks/prospects, who will (hopefully) turn into the types of players you’re suggesting.  

thats probably how it has to go.

The reality is we have about a 5% chance of making the playoffs where things stand today. This group needs to go on the best run its ever had, and someone in our division needs to falter for us to make the playoffs. Not impossible, but we're in unlikely territory now.

And thats OK, if it means we get in some pieces that fit better and we can use the rest of this year to grow with.

Edited by JM_